Why Is God A He?

`KuMi´

Guest Gupt Singhni
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

Most people have said in their replies that god has no gender, no form etc. and this can be found in gurbani (as above) that god is genderless, and also from meanings of moolmantar and jaap sahib.

but, as the original question states:

"Why do people refer to God as He, Him, Etc???"

Why is god refered to as 'he' in gurbani as well, why is the metaphor, of God being the 'husband', used.

God is refered to in the male sense, vaise tan God has no gender etc that is correct. but i believe it is to do with the difference in certain planes between the male and female. Although male and female are equal they have a 'place' a role as well, which deffers.

we are all one jot, god is everywhere in everyone, everywhere is god. When God is refered to as 'he' i think it is a metaphor in the sense that the male is, factually-generally-naturally, stronger-the provider, and in terms of worldly affairs in working and providing in his area he is better and more effecient.

this is where the feminists come in and say 'are you saying women are weaker, we're not as good, are you belittling us?'

No it's a mere fact, that's what they don't get sometimes :umm: , it has nothing to do with equality.

Men and women are equal in the eyes of god, spiritually men and women are equal, but the facts in this world can not be denied.

men and women have functions, they are different but equally important,

where the woman has to give birth, while she is in that state, at least, the male provides. say what you like but for that small period of time the male is the sole provider and the woman must give birth. i say for that period of time because people may argue that a woman can work while carrying a child etc etc. but there is a time when the roles become clear if you like.

had a loooong rahao there :@ cause of mum, lost the flow rolleyes.gif .

so the roles are different and it's the males role to be protective, providing, strong, leading. so in this way god is described in the male sense.

If we said Vaheguru kardi hai, some'd say there's nothing wrong with that. But it just feels wrong/weird, because from how we're brought up, taught and how we percieve Vaheguru.

But actually it is wrong... this is because we are soul brides - females and Vaheguru is our husband. and unless you are a brahmgiani, and one with Vaheguru - jeevan mukt, you can and really should only refer to Vaheguru as 'he' your husband.

Forgive me if i'm wrong or offended anyone. anything i have written is what i've learned from sangat and Vaheguru does everything himself and if any of it's wrong it's through my misunderstanding.

gupt singhi ji, it is a fact in this world like i said before. any sport the women's standards are lower than the mens, physically women are not as strong. I maybe wrong about a lot of things but there is unlimited evidence in the world to support this. Like i said

this is where the feminists come in and say 'are you saying women are weaker, we're not as good, are you belittling us?'

No it's a mere fact, that's what they don't get sometimes :) , it has nothing to do with equality.

i'm saying men and women are equal but different, this again can't be denied.

sorry you agree with that bit what i was getting around to was the last bit i've highlighted please read the above piece in bold.

also i'm trying to find some katha on this from giani thakur singh ji (patiala DDT), i will post link of that where giani ji briefly talks about this.

also carpe diem

Why is god refered to as 'he' in gurbani as well, why is the metaphor, of God being the 'husband', used.

this was the question not what is god like, for that we have moolmantar and jaap sahib.

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/katha.php

scroll to the bottom of the page.

click on 6 link from bottom - giani thakur singh ji

recording no. 5. :TH:

I agree that women are physically weaker than men but I think someone who has alot of naam kamai regardless of gender can be equally or much stronger than a human. Womens standards are not lower than mens in sikhi. Someone who thinks of themselves higher, in Gurbani it refers them as the lowest.

You can believe what you like. Whatever you say doesn't suddenly change what I believe is true.

i totally agree with you, women's standards are not lower in sikhi, i never said that either. i said women's standards are lower in sports.

and in sikhi everyone is equal, that's what the highlighted bits were about. i said in the first place, 'Men and women are equal in the eyes of god, spiritually men and women are equal'

and i said near the end:

'this is because we are soul brides - females and Vaheguru is our husband. and unless you are a brahmgiani, and one with Vaheguru - jeevan mukt, you can and really should only refer to Vaheguru as 'he' your husband.'

and please listen to the katha if you haven't, it comes in about 4.44mins.

''You can believe what you like. Whatever you say doesn't suddenly change what I believe is true.''

i think that maybe we actually agree in what's true it's just that it takes me a while to understand and maybe the way i wrote what i thought was not very clear at all. so what do you believe is true, please can you explain to me, if you write it down. Then i can tell you whether i agree.

What I said earlier on, that females can be just as strong if they have alot of naam kamai. They too can be 'protective, providing, strong, leading' if they merge with God.

Agree???

And, 'Papi' don't get your hopes up. Theres not going to be any arguement.

Sorry if I offended anyone :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people have said in their replies that god has no gender, no form etc. and this can be found in gurbani (as above) that god is genderless, and also from meanings of moolmantar and jaap sahib.

God is refered to in the male sense, vaise tan God has no gender etc that is correct. but i believe it is to do with the difference in certain planes between the male and female. Although male and female are equal they have a 'place' a role as well, which deffers.

we are all one jot, god is everywhere in everyone, everywhere is god. When God is refered to as 'he' i think it is a metaphor in the sense that the male is, factually-generally-naturally, stronger-the provider, and in terms of worldly affairs in working and providing in his area he is better and more effecient.

No it's a mere fact, that's what they don't get sometimes :umm: , it has nothing to do with equality.

Men and women are equal in the eyes of god, spiritually men and women are equal, but the facts in this world can not be denied.

where the woman has to give birth, while she is in that state, at least, the male provides. say what you like but for that small period of time the male is the sole provider and the woman must give birth. i say for that period of time because people may argue that a woman can work while carrying a child etc etc. but there is a time when the roles become clear if you like.

so the roles are different and it's the males role to be protective, providing, strong, leading. so in this way god is described in the male sense.

If we said Vaheguru kardi hai, some'd say there's nothing wrong with that. But it just feels wrong/weird, because from how we're brought up, taught and how we percieve Vaheguru.

But actually it is wrong... this is because we are soul brides - females and Vaheguru is our husband. and unless you are a brahmgiani, and one with Vaheguru - jeevan mukt, you can and really should only refer to Vaheguru as 'he' your husband.

Forgive me if i'm wrong or offended anyone. anything i have written is what i've learned from sangat and Vaheguru does everything himself and if any of it's wrong it's through my misunderstanding.

gupt singhi ji, it is a fact in this world like i said before. any sport the women's standards are lower than the mens, physically women are not as strong. I maybe wrong about a lot of things but there is unlimited evidence in the world to support this. Like i said

No it's a mere fact, that's what they don't get sometimes :) , it has nothing to do with equality.

sorry you agree with that bit what i was getting around to was the last bit i've highlighted please read the above piece in bold.

also i'm trying to find some katha on this from giani thakur singh ji (patiala DDT), i will post link of that where giani ji briefly talks about this.

also carpe diem

this was the question not what is god like, for that we have moolmantar and jaap sahib.

I agree that women are physically weaker than men but I think someone who has alot of naam kamai regardless of gender can be equally or much stronger than a human. Womens standards are not lower than mens in sikhi. Someone who thinks of themselves higher, in Gurbani it refers them as the lowest.

You can believe what you like. Whatever you say doesn't suddenly change what I believe is true.

i totally agree with you, women's standards are not lower in sikhi, i never said that either. i said women's standards are lower in sports.

and in sikhi everyone is equal, that's what the highlighted bits were about. i said in the first place, 'Men and women are equal in the eyes of god, spiritually men and women are equal'

and i said near the end:

'this is because we are soul brides - females and Vaheguru is our husband. and unless you are a brahmgiani, and one with Vaheguru - jeevan mukt, you can and really should only refer to Vaheguru as 'he' your husband.'

''You can believe what you like. Whatever you say doesn't suddenly change what I believe is true.''

i think that maybe we actually agree in what's true it's just that it takes me a while to understand and maybe the way i wrote what i thought was not very clear at all. so what do you believe is true, please can you explain to me, if you write it down. Then i can tell you whether i agree.

What I said earlier on, that females can be just as strong if they have alot of naam kamai. They too can be 'protective, providing, strong, leading' if they merge with God.

Agree???

i do agree i guess that comes back to this bit.

'' this is because we are soul brides - females and Vaheguru is our husband. and unless you are a brahmgiani, and one with Vaheguru - jeevan mukt, you can and really should only refer to Vaheguru as 'he' your husband.''

i think that must've been in the back of my mind from that katha. giani ji know what they're talking about.

but we agree :TH:

and, for me anyway, the katha explains why Vaheguru is refered to as he.

don't know how to sign off. i think ermm .........

sorry!, good that we agree and Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

Guest Gupt Singhni

also carpe diem

and i said near the end:

Agree???

i do agree i guess that comes back to this bit.

'' this is because we are soul brides - females and Vaheguru is our husband. and unless you are a brahmgiani, and one with Vaheguru - jeevan mukt, you can and really should only refer to Vaheguru as 'he' your husband.''

i think that must've been in the back of my mind from that katha. giani ji know what they're talking about.

but we agree :TH:

and, for me anyway, the katha explains why Vaheguru is refered to as he.

don't know how to sign off. i think ermm .........

sorry!, good that we agree and Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

Ok, ermm ......... sorry!,

everythings all good then. :TH: hehe

Guest AkhaliTaksaliSingh

Akhal Purkh is a Power. WE describe and relate to him as a 'He' becuase as humans in this world, we feel that the male gender is more the back bone of each structure. We find it easy to approach and relate to someone or something by adding 'names' etc to help us feel welcome.

:e:

Guru Jee is beyond form

But you are right. We should refer to Maharaj as Maharaj. He is derived from Christianity, who have the belief that God is He.

its actually derived from judaisim, because they use the word 'abba' which means father.

Guest Gupt Singhni
Alright, no1 really answered my question, ur all going off on one thinking i asked why is got a he. I asked why do people REFER thats REFER people to god as a he??

I like thinking God as my father. rolleyes.gif