Budha Dal Jathedari

Budha Dal Jathedari  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who is rightful leader of Budhadal?

• Baba Surjit Singh
    • Baba Balbeer Singh

Gurfateh all

The below post is from a discussion on Sikhawareness. I was wondering if any members of the forum from India may know more about the situation.

"The past two weeks have seen a dramatic escalation of events within the Budha Dal which have resulted in the wrongful arrest of Jathedar Baba Surjeet Singh and fraudulent claims being made by Balbir Singh who insists he is the legal heir of the old Jathedar – Baba Santa Singh.

Baba Surjeet Singh was arrested last weekend for allegedly shooting at Balbir Singh who rejoined the mainstream Budha Dal after more than a decade of proclaiming himself as the Jathedar of Budha Dal. During his self inflicted exile he received tremendous support from the SGPC and various governmental bodies who helped him secure ownership of religious shrines and agricultural land owned by the Budha Dal. Balbir Singh had mandirs (Hindu temples) occupy the Budha Dal land, including the Mandir Harisar which had Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji present in what can only be described as appalling and disgusting conditions.

At the Vaisakhi celebrations at Sabo Ki Talwandi (Bhatinda), Balbir Singh had the sevadar who was performing ardas mention Balbir Singhs name as Jathedar in place of Baba Surjeet Singh. Balbir Singh alleges this is the reason why Baba Surjit Singh and 50 of his men attacked Balbir Singh with their firearms; Balbir Singh miraculously managed to dodge all bullets fired at him – a story nothing short of a Bollywood Drama. The truth is that it was one of Balbir Singhs own men that fired at him, the individual managed to flee after the shooting incident despite their being several thousand worshipers at the festival. When an enormous contingent of police officers arrived Balbir Singh had them arrest Baba Surjeet Singh who had remained seated at the same place during and after the shooting incident. Corresponding with the arrest of Baba Surjeet Singh more than a dozen of Baba Surjeet Singhs most loyal Singhs were also picked up by police from around Punjab, even although they were all at home when the alleged shooting incident took place. It was a well staged and perfectly executed plan in which Balbir Singh achieved his aim of having Baba Surjeet Singh arrested.

One hour after the arrest of Baba Surjit Singh, leaders of Damdami Taksal, Baba Bakala Dal, Harainvela, Bidhi Chand Dal, senior members of Budha Dal and other panthic bodies held a meeting with Balbir Singh in which they condemned his actions and called for him to have Baba Surjeet Singh released immediately. At the refusal of Balbir Singh they themselves decided to go to the police station. The SSP said they would release Baba Surjeet Singh only if they received a signed letter from Baba Santa Singh asking for his release. However, as Balbir Singh controls who can and cannot visit the severely ill Baba Santa Singh, the police knew fine well this would not happen. Due to Baba Santa Singhs severe mental health problems and the corrupt men that are around him, it is plausible that he himself is not fully aware of the events which are occurring.

Baba Santa Singhs health has been very unstable for many years, throughout the past year he has been unable to speak, hear or freely move any part of his body without support. Doctors who have examined Baba Santa Singh have claimed that he is severely mentally and physically disabled and has little or no awareness of his surroundings. Exploiting the weak health of Baba Santa Singh, Balbir Singh and his followers have written many legal letters on which they have been stamping Baba Santa Singhs left thumbprint. Bearing Baba Santa Singhs ill health in mind, it is very difficult to see how and why he would from his own accord appoint Balbir Singh as Jathedar, even although he had appointed Baba Surjeet Singh his successor two years ago. Eye witnesses claim that Baba Santa Singh is being subject to both mental and physical abuse at the hands of Balbir Singh, his body is believed to be severely bruised and beaten at this time. Now that Balbir Singh has the necessary documents which he needs to claim the position of Jathedar, most Nihang Singhs believe they will very shortly kill Baba Santa Singh.

When Balbir Singh rejoined the Budha Dal he immediately took charge of personal duties of Baba Santa Singh. Nihang Singhs loyal to Baba Surjeet Singh were relieved of their duties towards Baba Santa Singh and Balbir Singh also appointed mahants of his choice at all major shrines of the Budha Dal. Nihang Singhs who actively opposed the use of alcohol by Balbir Singh and his men were also forced out of the Budha Dal headquarters at Damdama Sahib. Forcing Baba Santa Singh to print his thumb on letters, Balbir Singh has made himself legal heir of Baba Santa Singh and has been rapidly transferring Budha Dal property into his own name. Balbir Singh and Udey Singh (secretary of Budha Dal) have been conceding hundreds of acres of land and historic shrines to the SGPC, who recently announced that they will begin auctioning off excess land and property due to lack of funds available to them. It is no secret that the SGPC has an enormous treasury, however, it is run entirely according to the way in which Badal sees best.

Balbir Singh has been publishing letters with the thumbprint of Baba Santa Singh in Punjabi newspapers which claim that Baba Surjeet Singh was solely appointed as the Jathedar of the Dal or horse branch of Budha Dal – a responsibility which he had held many years prior to his appointment as Jathedar of all Budha Dal. Although receiving very little support from the mainstream Nihang Singh, Balbir Singh insists he is the Jathedar of Budha Dal – despite not having a farla, which is a loose peace of cloth on top of the turban worn by Nihang Singhs who possess even the remotest of authority.

Within the Dalpanth, the little popularity that Balbir Singh does have is a result of his immense police and government support and also his promotion of alcohol amongst Nihang Singhs. Many corrupt Nihangs joined Balbir Singh after Baba Surjeet Singh placed a complete ban on the consumption of alcohol and selling of bhang – both of which are serious problems within the Budha Dal. Balbir Singh is well known as an alcoholic and also has a reputation as a womaniser; many believe that he his intimately associated with the notorious child rapist and mass murdered 'Phoola' who has also been on working on the behest of Badal and the government for many years.

If you have any doubts to the extent of Baba Santa Singhs severe mental and physical disability, all it would take is one visit to see that he is far from being in a position to make decisions on his own accord. Previously Balbir Singh's man had taken bribes from many people who wished to meet Baba Santa Singh, due to the present circumstances it is unlikely even by bribing Balbir Singh's men one will not be allowed to see Baba Santa Singh. Furthermore, one would not need to speak to many Nihang Singhs before learning of the alcohol problems which exist within the Dal (despite Gurmatta being passed on several occasions completely banning alcohol) – thanks mainly to Balbir Singh and his men."

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...sc&start=30

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a character assassination piece on Balbir Singh. I'm sure both guys are a bad as each other but at least Balbir Singh disassociated himself from Santa Singh for his pro-government actions in 1984. So Santa Singh is mentally disabled? Is that recent thing because he couldn't have been mentally balanced in 1984. Anyway it's well know what fate gaddars suffer in the end.

Guest Dancing Warrior

Charandhoor Ji,

You've pretty much summed up the situation. Its my Belief Akali Baba Surjeet Singh Ji is the rightful Jethadar of Budha Dal and I think that is the general reflection in all the Dals.

Gurfateh

Proactive veera on what grounds and based on what evidence do you you make the remark 'Im sure they are both as bad as each other'. Also from what I have read, Balbeer Singh left the Dal some years after 1984 - leading one to believe it had more to do withh glory of being recognised as SGPC and being given immense power rather then him diagreeing with Baba Santa Singh. I think you can mark that point of your scorecard.

In situations like this where corruption, police goverment bodies are involved, especially the fact that its in India, you usually find that its the best of the two or the innocent man that ends up and jail while the worst gets away - I think everyone understands where Im coming from.

'Dancing Warrior' I think the article is definetely a good response to the one sided newpaper articles and stories being presented by the Indian Media, however I cannot claim any credit for it - i copy and pasted it from Sikhawareness. I have heard many Nihang Singhs complain about Balbeer Singh and his men consuming a lot of alcohol and indulging in some highly inappropriate activities. Its no secret that one of the first gurmuttas passed by Baba Surjit Singh was a complete ban on alcohol.

Living outside of India I cant say I can completely judge the situation - however Balbir Singh claiming that 50 armed men shot him (to the tribune newpaper) does seem hilarous. Some Singhs from India have told me a similar story to what is written in the first post. I think the post raises some very interesting points. Also there seems to be something very dodgy going in with regards to the arrest of Baba Surjit Singh.

Guest Dancing Warrior
Gurfateh

Proactive veera on what grounds and based on what evidence do you you make the remark 'Im sure they are both as bad as each other'. Also from what I have read, Balbeer Singh left the Dal some years after 1984 - leading one to believe it had more to do withh glory of being recognised as SGPC and being given immense power rather then him diagreeing with Baba Santa Singh. I think you can mark that point of your scorecard.

In situations like this where corruption, police goverment bodies are involved, especially the fact that its in India, you usually find that its the best of the two or the innocent man that ends up and jail while the worst gets away - I think everyone understands where Im coming from.

'Dancing Warrior' I think the article is definetely a good response to the one sided newpaper articles and stories being presented by the Indian Media, however I cannot claim any credit for it - i copy and pasted it from Sikhawareness. I have heard many Nihang Singhs complain about Balbeer Singh and his men consuming a lot of alcohol and indulging in some highly inappropriate activities. Its no secret that one of the first gurmuttas passed by Baba Surjit Singh was a complete ban on alcohol.

Living outside of India I cant say I can completely judge the situation - however Balbir Singh claiming that 50 armed men shot him (to the tribune newpaper) does seem hilarous. Some Singhs from India have told me a similar story to what is written in the first post. I think the post raises some very interesting points. Also there seems to be something very dodgy going in with regards to the arrest of Baba Surjit Singh.

Charandhoor Ji,

From what I understand Balbir has been appointed Jethadar of the Dal, this is the last information I received. I think Veers Garbar Akaal, Jassa and Namastag may have more information and a better understanding of the situation. Their input would be most valuable here. People are under the misconception that the Dals are just wondering nomads, that’s very much untrue. Budha Dal is most wealthy and powerful. The Budha Dal School alone rakes in god knows how much, this being the same school who won the NASA Prize for designing a city on the moon! The competition was world wide! In my opinion The Dals are a Beatification of traditions and valour also it is my opinion that the Jethedari holds more power than the SGPC. Inevitably Balbir may have secured the Kurdsi but it is Surjeet Singh who will always be held in the hearts and respect of the Dals

I dont have any links with budda dal. However, I know one of the elder budda dal nihang singh in canada very well. I ll ask him about the current suitation and if he gives me premession to post it online then I ll keep you guys in the loop regarding the current condition in Budda Dal.

Guest Lohgarh Singh

baba surjeet singh is the true jathedaar of the panjvah tahkt budhadal,

that balbir singh is bad news and is one power hungry individual, if i ever came across some who thirsts un-due power, its that guy,

i mean cmon, balbir claims hat 50 nihang warriors opened fire on him whilst he was coming out of the guudwara

number one, how the hell did all of them miss?

number two, i dont think the nihangs would be stupid enough to fire in the direction of the gurudwara as there is high possibility some shells will find themselves smashing into the gurudwara

Why do I think both of the are as bad as each other?

One is being accused of promoting alcohol and building Mandirs with Guru Granth Sahib being installed in them

The other one was Santa Singh's chamcha when he was taking Indira Gandhi's money for rebuilding the Akal Takht.

Gurfateh

Proactive may I ask how you know the role that Baba Surjit Singh played during the 80s and 90s and from where he learnt about his history.

From what I know Baba Surjit Singh has been a long serving member of the Dal or chakarvarti horse band of Nihang Singhs. I was told by Nihang Singhs that during the 80s and 90s when there were very few Nihang Singhs left in the Dal, Baba Surjit Singh single handedly looked after all the horses. Looking after one horse is hard enough, and as korraya dee seva ts soo highly regarded within the Nihang Dals, Baba Surjeet Singhs seva is highly well respected and thats why he was given jathedari of the horse section of budha dal some years back.

I dont think he did have any involvement with the actions/decisions of Baba Santa Singh in 1984. Perhaps you could be kind enough to enlighten me as to where you recieved this information from as it is news to me. Thanks.