Bibiya And Small Dastaar

Guest bibi

While I appreciate what jss is trying to say and the feeling behind it, I don't think discussing rehit and what is not according to rehit is necessarily a bad thing.

Obviously there are indeed some 'right' answers according to Sikhi. Either nitnem is 3 banis or 5. Either eating meat is acceptable in Gurmat or it's not.

Discussing what is right and what is wrong isn't really complaining, it's trying to identify correct practice according to Gurmat. If we don't do this, we won't learn.

I do think that there has to be a spirit of tolerance in these discussions but to not have them at all seems like willful blindness and refusal to learn and grow.

Live and let live for certain. But discussing, learning and changing is certainly a part of life.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with you that discussion is necessary..

however, the discussion should be with the intention of learning and growing...

many times these discussions aren't really discussions...it's two sides that come to argue solely on their points and not willing to be open that they may not know everything...

and then when we all get to points where we know there isn't going to be agreement...because not all issues have a black or white answer...we start judging each other...in fact, i disagree when you say something is gurmat and the other isn't...there may be a third option in which gurmat says nothing about the issue?...

i've even seen the repeated misuse of literal translations of gurbani to push certain points of views...one only has to look at one of the dastaar threads when a line of gurbani was taken out of context and i had to export the viakhya from prof sahib singh ji's teekha to show that the meaning of the pangti was not as being presented...

in regards to size of some sister's dastaar...if we look at the tone in the posts, it was not a tone of genuine discussion but rather one of complaints and ridicule...naming a "pancake dastaar"

is degrading fellow human beings in line with gurmat? is ridiculing others gurmat? What is the point of discussing the guru's rehit and trying to discuss gurmat when the manner in which we do it breaks the most basic and most direct instructions of gurmat?

I think we have to avoid being over-sensitive. Nowhere in this thread has anyone said that people that tie flat or "pancake" keskis are bad Sikhs nor have they been subjected to insults about their character or dedication to the faith. I don't understand how you can go so far as to suggest someone has been "degraded." The term "pancake keski" isn't one that I've invented, it's one that is already in use. Hence the use of quotation marks when I first used it. I personally don't feel it's degrading. If a tall dastaar can be a 'boonga' or tower, 'pancake' does reflect the size and shape of this type of keski.

The issue is not size of dastaar but the joora. If someone is not putting their hair in a joora and just leaving it in a curl, it's not a correct practice.

I've found that sometimes when we're insisting on tolerance we become over sensitive and indeed even intolerant of views we don't agree with or share. We should avoid that as well.

I think we have to avoid being over-sensitive. Nowhere in this thread has anyone said that people that tie flat or "pancake" keskis are bad Sikhs nor have they been subjected to insults about their character or dedication to the faith. I don't understand how you can go so far as to suggest someone has been "degraded." The term "pancake keski" isn't one that I've invented, it's one that is already in use. Hence the use of quotation marks when I first used it. I personally don't feel it's degrading. If a tall dastaar can be a 'boonga' or tower, 'pancake' does reflect the size and shape of this type of keski.

The issue is not size of dastaar but the joora. If someone is not putting their hair in a joora and just leaving it in a curl, it's not a correct practice.

I've found that sometimes when we're insisting on tolerance we become over sensitive and indeed even intolerant of views we don't agree with or share. We should avoid that as well.

Just wondering who says it's not a correct practice and why? :@

What if you're a person JUST staring to grow your kes - how do you tie a bunga? Wouldn't a smaller dastaar be easier?

Jab lag Khaalsaa rahe niyaaraa

GURU GOBIND SINGH JI MAHARAJ SAID - for his khalsa to be niara - meaning distinct

big dastars are more practical a person can see guru gobind singhs jis sikh from a mile away .wearing little keskis is impractical , of you ever need a lar of ya dastar or something what are you gonna do? bhai fauja singh ji when got shot in the face in 78 he unwrapped a lar of his dumalla and tied it over his eye so he could continue fighting, imagine if he had a little kesi , would have come off maybee? wouldnt have been able to continue fighting cus he wouldnt have been able to take a laar off?

but what were forgetting, is BE PROUD OF YOUR DASTAR! ... be proud of your sikhi , be proud that were GURU GOBIND SINGH JIS CHILDREN! be niara remian distinct , showing your dastar is parchar!!!

in battle , big dastars/ dumalla and shaster helped! we are still in kaljug anything could happen , be tyaar by tyaar waheguru ji

bhull chukk maaf

sorry if i have offended anyone , but BIG DASTARS RULE! LOL WAHEGURU JI

AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL HE AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Jab lag Khaalsaa rahe niyaaraa

GURU GOBIND SINGH JI MAHARAJ SAID - for his khalsa to be niara - meaning distinct

big dastars are more practical a person can see guru gobind singhs jis sikh from a mile away .wearing little keskis is impractical , of you ever need a lar of ya dastar or something what are you gonna do? bhai fauja singh ji when got shot in the face in 87 he unwrapped a lar of his dumalla and tied it over his eye so he could continue fighting, imagine if he had a little kesi , would have come off maybee? wouldnt have been able to continue fighting cus he wouldnt have been able to take a laar off?

but what were forgetting, is BE PROUD OF YOUR DASTAR! ... be proud of your sikhi , be proud that were GURU GOBIND SINGH JIS CHILDREN! be niara remian distinct , showing your dastar is parchar!!!

in battle , big dastars/ dumalla and shaster helped! we are still in kaljug anything could happen , be tyaar by tyaar waheguru ji

bhull chukk maaf

sorry if i have offended anyone , but BIG DASTARS RULE! LOL WAHEGURU JI

AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL HE AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

spot onn :e: :e: :nihungsmile: :TH: :TH: :TH: :@

Vahiguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Vahiguroo Ji Ki Fatehi!!!!!

THE POWER OF THE BOONGAH!!!!!

iss so much better n kps ur Dhumalla nice n strong n tight n so den it wont fall off ur head! n it luks beautiful so d size of ur Dastaar doesnt matter, its how u feel when wearing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vahiguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Vahiguroo Ji Ki Fatehi!!!!!!!!!!!