Career Advice Please Ji

Wahe guru ji ka khalsa Wahe guru ji ki fateh,

Nx year is last year of my BA business degree

These days im trying to research as much as i can in to the kind of career i want to get in to once i graduate nx year.

Been to two uni career fairs, use careers service at uni often (put loadsss of leafletc, booklets in to a bag to carry home :wubc:

Would like advice from anyone who has graduated , is graduating this year what kind of preparation they did, doing and what best advice to give when someone is unsure about what to go in to after graduating and what more should i be doing now to help my career

Thank you

Wahe guru ji ka khalsa Wahe guru ji ki fateh

Vaheguru!

I'm a graduated Finance student... i knew all Along dat i wanted to go into business, buh jus wasn't sure exactly what i wanted to do... it helpd dat i worked in a bank since grade 11 so i basically got an idea of wha exactly goes on in the bank, how far i can go, what sort of options i could have if i didn't chose to stay wit da bank etc...

i finished my program wit a degree in finance, a CSC (Canadian Securities Course) Certificate, and an IFIC (Investment Funds In Canada) Certificate

- The CSC opens A LOT of doors (if ur in Canada); it allows u to sell securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds etc...) in Canada, but also allows you to easily enter the Analyst field... it touches upon some stuff in Economics so if you wanted to strive towards dat, it wud'n be that much of a problem.. the CSC is VERY recognized in Canada.. (in all of north america actually) and if you have that (or the equivalent of that in your Country) its a BIG bonus... companies look for somebody with that

- IFIC also enables me to sell mutual funds... but it shows companies such as banks or fund companies that you have in depth knowledge of mutual funds n how they work... CSC mostly focusses on bonds and stocks ... so da Mutual Funds certificate of whichever country you're living in will be a big asset if you want to work in Banks

in canada, the CSC is looked at a LOT more highly then the IFIC because there's a lot more info to know.. i'm sure in most countries the Securities equivilent to what we have here in Canada will be looked at more favourably by companies, especially if you plan on working in a bank or a fund company.

and of course, nowadayz all companies want some sort of diploma/degree in whatever major you are workin in (in this case, Finance)

I'm currently workin fa Scotiabank... within 2 weeks I'll be a Personal Banking officer, and i plan to make my way up from there...

hope that helped... lemme kno if u need ne other help or suggestions

Chardi Kalaa!

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

• 2 weeks later...

SSA

Are you interested in entering the job market or would you be interested in going to graduate school? Doing a masters is very rewarding and can open up different kinds of door. I don't know if you specialized in anything with your business degree (finance, marketing, management, accounting?) but it could be worth looking into.

I did a BA in Human relations which is an applied form of psychology, got married, had kids and went back to school to do a masters in administration (very different from my first degree!) i specialized in management, more particularly organizational behaviour and i'm currently doing a thesis on intrinsic motivation in the work place. I love research which is the reason i took an Msc instead of an MBA which is very much applied and more general. I hope to get into teaching and later on do a phd. There are so many options and for different kinds of taste.

Some graduate certificate could also be a good complement to your degree as Heera Veerji mentioned. Hope you find your way soon and make sure you enjoy whatever you're doing.

Fateh!