Maya

Guest Papi

Guest Papi

Why is that maya seem so sweet? i mean guru sahib tells us time and again that maya is not good, nothing good wil come outta it. even knowing that we are still attracted to maya very much. lets take MOH for example. (wanted to take another example, but i think this will serve its purpose) guru sahib tells us its not good to be in moh with anyone, but even knowing this we still get trapped in it !!!!!!!!!! why is that? :devil: this has been bugging me for quite some time now. why does maya seem so sweet? we would automatically rise above maya the day we dont find it sweet. until then, why is maya so sweet?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pray.gif

ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

raamkalee mehlaa 5.

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:

ਕਉਡੀ ਬਦਲੈ ਤਿਆਗੈ ਰਤਨੁ ॥

ka-udee badlai ti-aagai ratan.

In exchange for a shell, he gives up a jewel.

ਛੋਡਿ ਜਾਇ ਤਾਹੂ ਕਾ ਜਤਨੁ ॥

chhod jaa-ay taahoo kaa jatan.

He tries to get what he must give up.

ਸੋ ਸੰਚੈ ਜੋ ਹੋਛੀ ਬਾਤ ॥

so sanchai jo hochhee baat.

He collects those things which are worthless.

ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਟੇਢਉ ਜਾਤ ॥੧॥

maa-i-aa mohi-aa taydha-o jaat. ||1||

Enticed by Maya, he takes the crooked path. ||1||

ਅਭਾਗੇ ਤੈ ਲਾਜ ਨਾਹੀ ॥

abhaagay tai laaj naahee.

You unfortunate man - have you no shame?

ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਪੂਰਨ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਹਰਿ ਨ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਮਨ ਮਾਹੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

sukh saagar pooran parmaysar har na chayti-o man maahee. ||1|| rahaa-o.

You do not remember in your mind the ocean of peace, the perfect Transcendent Lord God. ||1||Pause||

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਕਉਰਾ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਮੀਠੀ ॥

amrit ka-uraa bikhi-aa meethee.

Nectar seems bitter to you, while the poison seems sweet.

ਸਾਕਤ ਕੀ ਬਿਧਿ ਨੈਨਹੁ ਡੀਠੀ ॥

saakat kee biDh nainhu deethee.

Such is your condition, you faithless cynic, which I have seen with my own eyes.

ਕੂੜਿ ਕਪਟਿ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਿ ਰੀਝਾਨਾ ॥

koorh kapat ahaNkaar reejhaanaa.

You are fond of falsehood, fraud and egotism.

ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਜਨੁ ਬਿਛੂਅ ਡਸਾਨਾ ॥੨॥

naam sunat jan bichhoo-a dasaanaa. ||2||

If you hear the Naam, the Name of the Lord, you feel like you have been stung by a scorpion. ||2||

ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਝੂਰੈ ॥

maa-i-aa kaaran sad hee jhoorai.

You continually yearn for Maya,

ਮਨਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਕਬਹਿ ਨ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੈ ॥

man mukh kabeh na ustat karai.

and you never chant the Lord's Praises with your mouth.

ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ॥

nirbha-o nirankaar daataar.

The Lord is fearless and formless; He is the Great Giver.

ਤਿਸੁ ਸਿਉ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨ ਕਰੈ ਗਵਾਰੁ ॥੩॥

tis si-o pareet na karai gavaar. ||3||

But you do not love Him, you fool! ||3||

ਸਭ ਸਾਹਾ ਸਿਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹੁ ॥

sabh saahaa sir saachaa saahu.

God, the True King, is above the heads of all kings.

ਵੇਮੁਹਤਾਜੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੁ ॥

vaymuhtaaj pooraa paatisaahu.

He is the independent, perfect Lord King.

ਮੋਹ ਮਗਨ ਲਪਟਿਓ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਗਿਰਹ ॥

moh magan lapti-o bharam girah.

People are intoxicated by emotional attachment, entangled in doubt and family life.

ਨਾਨਕ ਤਰੀਐ ਤੇਰੀ ਮਿਹਰ ॥੪॥੨੧॥੩੨॥

naanak taree-ai tayree mihar. ||4||21||32||

Nanak: they are saved only by Your Mercy, Lord. ||4||21||32||

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji -Ang 892

pray.gif

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਭ੍ਰਮਤ ਫਿਰਤ ਬਹੁ ਜਨਮ ਬਿਲਾਨੇ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਧੀਰੇ ॥

bharmat firat baho janam bilaanay tan man Dhan nahee Dheeray.

I wandered through countless incarnations, but mind, body and wealth never remain stable.

ਲਾਲਚ ਬਿਖੁ ਕਾਮ ਲੁਬਧ ਰਾਤਾ ਮਨਿ ਬਿਸਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹੀਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

laalach bikh kaam lubaDh raataa man bisray parabh heeray. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Attached to, and stained by the poisons of sexual desire and greed, the mind has forgotten the jewel of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ਬਿਖੁ ਫਲ ਮੀਠ ਲਗੇ ਮਨ ਬਉਰੇ ਚਾਰ ਬਿਚਾਰ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥

bikh fal meeth lagay man ba-uray chaar bichaar na jaani-aa.

The poisonous fruit seems sweet to the demented mind, which does not know the difference between good and evil.

ਗੁਨ ਤੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਬਢੀ ਅਨ ਭਾਂਤੀ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਫਿਰਿ ਤਾਨਿਆ ॥੧॥

gun tay pareet badhee an bhaaNtee janam maran fir taani-aa. ||1||

Turning away from virtue, his love for other things increases, and he weaves again the web of birth and death. ||1||

ਜੁਗਤਿ ਜਾਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਜਲਤ ਜਾਲ ਜਮ ਫੰਧ ਪਰੇ ॥

jugat jaan nahee ridai nivaasee jalat jaal jam fanDh paray.

He does not know the way to the Lord, who dwells within his heart; burning in the trap, he is caught by the noose of death.

ਬਿਖੁ ਫਲ ਸੰਚਿ ਭਰੇ ਮਨ ਐਸੇ ਪਰਮ ਪੁਰਖ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਮਨ ਬਿਸਰੇ ॥੨॥

bikh fal sanch bharay man aisay param purakh parabh man bisray. ||2||

Gathering the poisonous fruits, he fills his mind with them, and he forgets God, the Supreme Being, from his mind. ||2||

ਗਿਆਨ ਪ੍ਰਵੇਸੁ ਗੁਰਹਿ ਧਨੁ ਦੀਆ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਮਾਨੁ ਮਨ ਏਕ ਮਏ ॥

gi-aan parvays gureh Dhan dee-aa Dhi-aan maan man ayk ma-ay.

The Guru has given the wealth of spiritual wisdom; practicing meditation, the mind becomes one with Him.

ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਮਾਨੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਅਘਾਨੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਭਏ ॥੩॥

paraym bhagat maanee sukh jaani-aa taripat aghaanay mukat bha-ay. ||3||

Embracing loving devotional worship for the Lord, I have come to know peace; satisfied and satiated, I have been liberated. ||3||

ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮਾਇ ਸਮਾਨੀ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਅਛਲੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਿਆ ॥

jot samaa-ay samaanee jaa kai achhlee parabh pehchaani-aa.

One who is filled with the Divine Light, recognizes the undeceivable Lord God.

ਧੰਨੈ ਧਨੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਧਰਣੀਧਰੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਜਨ ਸੰਤ ਸਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੧॥

Dhannai Dhan paa-i-aa DharneeDhar mil jan sant samaani-aa. ||4||1||

Dhanna has obtained the Lord, the Sustainer of the World, as his wealth; meeting the humble Saints, he merges in the Lord. ||4||1||

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji -Ang 487

Guest Papi

thank you bhai sahib :devil:

i fully understand (i hope) that this maya actually is false and sour. but why does it seem so sweet then. what does guru sahib say about that?

Why is that maya seem so sweet?

I've asked myself the same question many times. What is in it that seems so sweet? Why are we forgetting maharaaj and falling in this trap of maya over and over again. Karm? Foolish Mind? Other factors?

Guru Sahib calls maya with many names like gurh (the sweet stuff), mitheaee (sweets in general), one that comes in Anand Sahib is 'eh maya mohni jin et bharam bhulayaa'. I guess ultimately we have to understand the SOLE purpose of maya which is to take us away from Vaheguruji, any and every way possible, and this kaljug its most powerful, because this is the dark age there are very rare souls who always keep him in mind.

So again why is it so sweet, everything we see, hear, feel has either a good or bad effect on us, and based on that effect/sensation/feeling we do things we like whether to go on a rollercoaster ride, have that favorite chocolate, eat our favorite delicasy, etc. and we do, say things based on that. Guru sahib warns us of this in many ways, he tells us not to eat all sorts of foods, bhaant bhaant bhacchat pakvanaa upjat rog deh tin nana| Several different types of foods give many sorts of diseases. Same with listening to music, dancing, talking to people you love all things the mind craves so much. Guru sahib guides us and raises us above all that and he helps us realize that although maya looks sweet in reality its a type of a poison that doesn't instantly kill you but it decades you bit by bit, the more you take it, the more you will decay, but if you take the naam, daaroo, then your body rejeuvenates.

Taking medicine is tough in general, once you feel its affects you want to take more and get rid of this disease.

My two cents.

Bhul chuk muaf.

Maya the thing that gursikhs should be in battle with at all times.... The way i look at it is that to have good you have to have evil its a balance in nature...If i say u do you like sweet things u most likely will say yes but if i say do you like Blah u wont be able to answer because because theres no oppsoite to blah. so in that way when we look at the opposite of maya whats harder to do, live in the trance of maya or fight it and become maya less? Were really really really lazy and so we dont wanna do the harder thing and we want to be accepted even though we try to make it seem like we dont want to be... Just my veiws most likely wrong lol bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fathe!

thank you bhai sahib :devil:

i fully understand (i hope) that this maya actually is false and sour. but why does it seem so sweet then. what does guru sahib say about that?

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

khalsa ji,

to answer this question as to why it seems so sweet.....i am not well versed in gurbani at all...so im not sure what guru sahib says about this....

everything is under akaal purakh ji's hukam....which manmukh like me cannot fathom and so cannot give answer to the 'why' question.....

i myself am under this trap of maya..where the poison seems sweet to the mind..so im hoping some gurmukh here can answer this question...

this is all akal purakh's test.....this entire universe is akal purakh's play....and akaal purakh also created this test of maya....and only through naam and guru sahib's kirpa can it be tamed....

pls would some learned gursikhs give some vichars on this....this question has also been on my mind for quite some time

please forgive my mistakes

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

ਸਲੋਕੁ ॥

Salok.

Shalok:

ਕਬੀਰ ਕਸਉਟੀ ਰਾਮ ਕੀ ਝੂਠਾ ਟਿਕੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

Kabīr kasa­utī rām kī jẖūṯẖā tikai na ko­ė.

Kabeer, such is the touchstone of the Lord; the false cannot even touch it.

ਰਾਮ ਕਸਉਟੀ ਸੋ ਸਹੈ ਜੋ ਮਰਜੀਵਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥

Rām kasa­utī so sahai jo marjīvā ho­ė. ||1||

He alone passes this test of the Lord, who remains dead while yet alive. ||1||

Guest G.Kaur

Taken from tapoban.org

Becoming drowned in Maya is like drowning in the bathtub. Many people may drown in their bathtub - because they are too fearful, too lazy, and too ignorant to just stand up. You can stand up and realize that this Maya is a joke. Maya is the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the slave of the Guru. Maya is totally insignificant evil thing - do not let it control you, control it and enjoy the bliss of Guru ji's teachings.

nice analogy :devil: but how can i standup when i dunno how to standup :ysad:

Veerji first step is acknowledging existence of maya and its influence on our lives. It is only by doing ardas to Almighty that we can standup to maya. I remember hearing a sakhi from giani thakur singhji. He said God created maya and then maya created everything. So most ppl can't see beyond maya, only chosen few have the capacity to see and stand upto it. For mortals like us we need guru's blessing to standup.