Maya

Guest Papi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

veeji would you be kind enough to give me a link to the katha if possible :devil:

I would love to, but it was way back that i heard it. It was probably katha of sukhmani sahib or japji sahib, i dont remember for sure. He describe before anything there was GOD and God alone. And with ray of light maya was created, through which everything else. So in essence God is in everything but most souls stay in maya's loop. only few manage to break away and merge into source.

Guest Papi

ok thanks :devil: i'm currently in the process of listening to japji sahib katha by giani ji. hopefully he talks about in there, unless its already gone and i wasn't paying attention to it :ysad:

ok thanks :devil: i'm currently in the process of listening to japji sahib katha by giani ji. hopefully he talks about in there, unless its already gone and i wasn't paying attention to it :ysad:

If you get chance listen to japji sahib katha by bhai pinderpal ji. He is amazing. Full of humbleness and nimrata.....

Guest Papi

^^ i would love to but there's so much wealth and not even close to enough time to listen to all these gurumukhs :ysad: i still haven't finihsed listening to giani thakur singh ji's japji sahib katha :ysad:

^^ i would love to but there's so much wealth and not even close to enough time to listen to all these gurumukhs :ysad: i still haven't finihsed listening to giani thakur singh ji's japji sahib katha :ysad:

That is so true. It took me 3 months to complete listening japji sahib katha.... and the worst part is i forgot most of it... there is only so much I can absorb. But you can listen to his other kathas which are much shorter... "saka chamkaur" is one. He describes it so vividly that you can imagine being there watching everything and feeling it. It is avaialble on ikirtan.

The best message that impacted me was his analogy of gursikh with formation of pearl. He said like the shell of pearl we all have our mouths wide open consuming maya and living in our ego. But when bani like distilled drop of water enters, the mouth closes and the shell starts going down and down, deep in the ocean. Similarly gursikh becomes humble. And after years staying deep in ocean under pressure, the water drop becomes precious pearl... Its only by grace of guruji that such humbleness is achieved and we can become true gursikhs..... but it takes time and perseverance.....

thank you bhai sahib :devil:

i fully understand (i hope) that this maya actually is false and sour. but why does it seem so sweet then. what does guru sahib say about that?

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

i really dont know much about gurbani or what guru sahib has to say. but could it be that its our animal instincts that make it seem so sweet?

guru sahib compares the thoughts/human beings who act like dogs(greed/lob), elephants(kaam/lust), etc etc why?=)

to be able to think above these animals like thoughts...and act like a human being we need a guru which is our gurbani.

i dont think i even knew that these 5's existed within me nd are destroying me until guru sahib did his kirpa and helped me understand it through his words.

i was listening to this guy who wrote a book on mind(on tv). and he describes the middle part of our brain animal brain. he gace an example: when we yell at each other but get to nowhere at all ...it is because our thinking part of the brain, the frontal lob, shuts down. thus we can't think logically...and we are basically talkin to each other with an animal mind. its smiler to seeing two animals fighting. tahts how we become.

i think its smiler here. if the science says that our thinking mind(which only huamns got...the power to think logically and reflect on things) shuts down...the animal mind is the only thing left working thus the "maya" seems so sweet atthat time.

as guru sahib tells us to take control of our life by reciting bani, being with sadh sangat, and disciplining ourselves with naam simran...we will start to use our whole brain, which is a Heera(diamond), to help us lead a good life and not get caught in the mess of things.

hope this makes sense?

bhul chukmuaff karni

(i will reread this and make some changes. cuz this is a first draft and info im providing prolly needs more clarification since no one here watched the show)

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

Why is that maya seem so sweet?

Guru Sahib calls maya with many names like gurh (the sweet stuff), mitheaee (sweets in general), one that comes in Anand Sahib is 'eh maya mohni jin et bharam bhulayaa'. I guess ultimately we have to understand the SOLE purpose of maya which is to take us away from Vaheguruji, any and every way possible, and this kaljug its most powerful, because this is the dark age there are very rare souls who always keep him in mind.

So again why is it so sweet, everything we see, hear, feel has either a good or bad effect on us, and based on that effect/sensation/feeling we do things we like whether to go on a rollercoaster ride, have that favorite chocolate, eat our favorite delicasy, etc. and we do, say things based on that. Guru sahib warns us of this in many ways, he tells us not to eat all sorts of foods, bhaant bhaant bhacchat pakvanaa upjat rog deh tin nana| Several different types of foods give many sorts of diseases. Same with listening to music, dancing, talking to people you love all things the mind craves so much. Guru sahib guides us and raises us above all that and he helps us realize that although maya looks sweet in reality its a type of a poison that doesn't instantly kill you but it decades you bit by bit, the more you take it, the more you will decay, but if you take the naam, daaroo, then your body rejeuvenates.

I once heard someone say that it is not Maya itself which is evil - it is our attachment to Maya which draws us away from Guru Saheb.

ਸੰਸਾ ਇਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਸੁਤਿਆ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਇ ॥

This world is an illusion; people pass their life-nights sleeping.

ਇਕਿ ਆਪਣੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਕਢਿ ਲਇਅਨੁ ਆਪੇ ਲਇਓਨੁ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥

By the Pleasure of His Will, He lifts some out, and unites them with Himself.

ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਆਪਿ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਚੁਕਾਇ ॥

He Himself abides in the mind, and drives out attachment to Maya.

ਆਪਿ ਵਡਾਈ ਦਿਤੀਅਨੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੇਇ ਬੁਝਾਇ ॥੩॥

He Himself bestows glorious greatness; He inspires the Gurmukh to understand.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.g...=10&id=1489

As long as we're living in this world we need the minimum material things to survive - things like food, and thesedays money. The problem arises when we get so engrossed in the material things that we forget God. Sometimes people can reach a stage where everything they see and hear reminds them of Maharaj. If we see money and this makes us thank our King for giving us so much, will the money still be evil in itself? Of course not. I don't think it is the money which has the ability to draw us away from God. It is our own minds. We see things as evil because we make them evil. When we become obsessed with money or if we continually feel the need to have more and more when we don't need it, THEN we forget Maharaj. Instead we should always remember that Guru Saheb has blessed us with jobs and the ability to work hard, and from the fruits of these things we can bring up the next generation in Guru Saheb's path.

:devil::

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Guest Papi

thanks bibi :( i was wondering why you hadn't made a post yet :devil:

btw, i wasn't talking about material things, even though that does play a part. i was thinking more in terms of kaam, krodh, moh, ahunkaar.