Apple Or Windows?

Guest Raman

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

haha windows is the worst

WJKK WJKF

Paji this response shows ur lack of knowledge... Badly..

Windows is not the worst.. there is MUCH worse, infact windows is one of the best and user friendly OS's on the market, its only downfall is its licensing as even i agree, they do overcharge.

For those of you who flaw its security? Is this because you your selft dont know how to lock windows down? and make it secure or because you hear it and continue the rhumours? Windows is actually a very secure OS providing you use it properly. Actually take the time out to learn the features it provides. A great response will be MS have to publish service packs. The reason for them is the feedback given hence the change and additions to the product, Free of course if you have internet.

Mac is good if you wona do media work, if you are using as a basic home user, or even in offices, its not the best tool.

Linux is jus a waste of time. If you think you understand security by stating windows is not secure, your very much mistaken.. An OS which is made through Open Source, is NOT secure. If YOU write the software, you could infact bug the software, infact you know the entry to the software to cause it problems. Infact Linux is easier to hack then Windows platforms, just you dont hear about it as much due to the fact people will spend as much time as they can to bring down the dominator of the market.

In response to the original question, look at the requirments you need for your job role and college course, if your doing media and the college use mac machines, it makes more sense to use this option rather then a windows platform for the simple reason you become more familiar with the tool.

Jus a lil thing i think i will share with you.. The cash machines you use? Stop using them.. They are locked down windows xp boxes.. programed to run one application only..

Understand the software before making comments on its ability to perform a task. Until you actually know how to use it, or spend the time reading the correct articles, you wont understand the benifits of the product.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha windows is the worst

WJKK WJKF

Paji this response shows ur lack of knowledge... Badly..

Windows is not the worst.. there is MUCH worse, infact windows is one of the best and user friendly OS's on the market, its only downfall is its licensing as even i agree, they do overcharge.

For those of you who flaw its security? Is this because you your selft dont know how to lock windows down? and make it secure or because you hear it and continue the rhumours? Windows is actually a very secure OS providing you use it properly. Actually take the time out to learn the features it provides. A great response will be MS have to publish service packs. The reason for them is the feedback given hence the change and additions to the product, Free of course if you have internet.

Mac is good if you wona do media work, if you are using as a basic home user, or even in offices, its not the best tool.

Linux is jus a waste of time. If you think you understand security by stating windows is not secure, your very much mistaken.. An OS which is made through Open Source, is NOT secure. If YOU write the software, you could infact bug the software, infact you know the entry to the software to cause it problems. Infact Linux is easier to hack then Windows platforms, just you dont hear about it as much due to the fact people will spend as much time as they can to bring down the dominator of the market.

In response to the original question, look at the requirments you need for your job role and college course, if your doing media and the college use mac machines, it makes more sense to use this option rather then a windows platform for the simple reason you become more familiar with the tool.

Jus a lil thing i think i will share with you.. The cash machines you use? Stop using them.. They are locked down windows xp boxes.. programed to run one application only..

Understand the software before making comments on its ability to perform a task. Until you actually know how to use it, or spend the time reading the correct articles, you wont understand the benifits of the product.

the only reason i like linix is becouse its verry verry stable :umm:

Paji, linux isnt very stable.. it just appears it.. its a good hacking tool but in terms of stability, its ok.. but not as supported as windows..

Linux is used by more advanced users hence it appears more stable, where as basic users operate windows OS's in the majority. They find its unstable as they dont make effort to maintain windows updates, service packs etc. They will probably have crappy norton etc which dnt really help as they attract more viruses then kill.. those who know how to use windows properly, they will configure it to a high level so its stability is next to none

wkkwjkfateh paji

just quick note, i thin ku may have mentioned MAC being user friendly...

i dont no if it may be relevant, but just to let you know:

You can download the MAC Emulation (Theme) and use it on your Windows machine.

Its called flyakite.

google it, or i think the link is http://www.flyakiteosx.com/download/

I downloaded it on my laptop, and it looks awesome.

Performance wise, it didnt make much difference, though it was quite quicker to start up.

hope its helpful

pulchuk maaf

wjkkwjkfateh

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Wow, this got off topic fast haha.

Basically, just use whatever you find easiest. Personally, I would never buy a mac (I can't stand a few things... like resizing a window ONLY in the bottom right corner, only a single mouse button on their laptops...) but I can see why some people would prefer it.

The basic software available are pretty well even for you, since your college uses mac, almost all mac software are also available for windows too. Macs look prettier, windows can be less expensive. With windows, there is also a LOT more choice for specs... slow fast, good/bad graphics, webcams, speakers, ... which is why I prefer it.

So yeah, it comes down to personal choice jee... whatever you find easiest to use. As for warrenties, I've heard bad things about Apple's support... I would recommend buying from a big-box store and getting their extended warrenties, the quality of service is usually much better for windows and mac.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Guest jap naam

[u]Apple Mac vs Windows[/u]

Really its up to you and what you find comfortable using but I would get the Mac if your gonna be using it for Multimedia.

Windows based PCs are certainly more multimedia equipped than they have ever been, but they are still unparalleled when it comes to the ease of use that the Mac provides. Macs offers an unprecedented group of applications and hardware for music, photos, and video editing.Apple provides a suite of applications called iLife. The package contains iTunes (an MP3 encoder/player), iPhoto (a digital photography manager), iMovie (easy to use movie editing), iDVD (creates professional looking DVDs from your movies), GarageBand (studio recording software for the masses), and iWeb (create websites and blogs). All six programs are designed to work together seamlessly. They are also award-winning programs for ease of use and features, where Windows' offerings (Movie Maker & Media Player) are not.

i'd like to throw in my two cents as, what I believe to be, the only Mac user in this thread. First off, you can only dual boot windows if you have one of the newer macs which have Intel Chips. That shouldn't be any problem, since Apple only sells Intel machines now (first hand at least, they'll still sell powerpc models that are refurbished, meaning used and then made back to factory condition). Secondly, it's just a blatant lie to pretend that Windows is a more secure OS than Mac OS X. To put it in perspective for you, i'll tell a story. I was talking to a friend of mine who had installed Windows Vista on his Pc. Keep in mind that not only was this newest version of Windows, but it was also the "Ultimate" edition that cost a good 500 dollars or whatever they're charging. Anyway, our conversation devolves into what the other is up to, and he comments, "This week was a good week for my PC." I asked why, and he responded, "My PC only BSOD'd four times". For the uninformed, BSOD= Blue Screen of Death, the dreaded flash of blue that signals the death of an OS and an unwarranted restart. In some cases, it is irreperable and you have to wipe your pc clean and reinstall. In other cases, it's just a driver issue that can be resolved easily. In my friend's case, it was a driver issue, and so he went to the Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Call Center and talked with a customer service representative for a mind boggling three hours until they'd finally fixed the problems. At the very least, you can admire the tenacity of the rep and credit him with fixing the problem. On the other hand, any Stable and Secure OS wouldn't have done this in the first place. I've had my Macbook Pro for less than a year (1 year come august), and I only need to restart when I install a security update, which comes out about once every month or so. The rest of the time I just shut the lid and leave it. But I detract. To answer your question about multimedia, recognize that Macs are both low end and high end. Adobe makes their Photoshop series with Macs specifically in mind. Apple makes Final Cut Pro, the industry standard in video editing, and Hollywood production companies, like Peter Jackson's Wega studios use Macs and Apple software to make their movies. They used a program called Motion to make King Kong come to life on the screen. Do yourself a favor, go for the mac, you will not regret it. As an added bonus, the latest Macbook Pro uses LED backlighting on their laptops which increases the laptop battery life to ridiculous levels (think 6 hours). Hope you haven't made ur decision yet and take what I said into consideration.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Wow, this got off topic fast haha.

Basically, just use whatever you find easiest. Personally, I would never buy a mac (I can't stand a few things... like resizing a window ONLY in the bottom right corner, only a single mouse button on their laptops...) but I can see why some people would prefer it.

The basic software available are pretty well even for you, since your college uses mac, almost all mac software are also available for windows too. Macs look prettier, windows can be less expensive. With windows, there is also a LOT more choice for specs... slow fast, good/bad graphics, webcams, speakers, ... which is why I prefer it.

So yeah, it comes down to personal choice jee... whatever you find easiest to use. As for warrenties, I've heard bad things about Apple's support... I would recommend buying from a big-box store and getting their extended warrenties, the quality of service is usually much better for windows and mac.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Dude, I don't know what you've heard, but you've heard wrong. Firstly, I can understand what you're saying with the window resizing, but I used windows for at least 11 years before I moved over to a mac last year (Windows Media Center 2005 was hell), and I can honestly say it isn't that big a deal for me. It's just something you get used to. Like not getting accosted by your OS to confirm every little thing. The single mouse button is also not a big deal when you consider that the people that make apple's touchpads for their laptops have a special techonology that allows them to detect when you tap the pad with two fingers, thus allowing you to set a two finger tap to right click. It's fun. Sure, you've got lots of variety when you go out and swap stuff out, but for the general public, not geeks like us, they will run into problems with Windows if they want to upgrade, and it will be nasty when they're confronted with driver issues and they don't know what the hell is going on. Which is when we, the geeks, get called in. And then we get annoyed because we have to spend the weekend going around to other people's houses fixing their pcs. Also, the warranty stuff you said is ridiculous. To prove it, i'll tell you an example. I left my macbook pro on the ground next to my tabla and thori. My little cousin, who had just recently started to walk, added hammer smashing to his list of abilities, and lifted up the hammer, bringing down the full force of his one year old arm on my MBP's keyboard. The 2 key went flyting off into the air, and the w key sported a nice crack along the right side. So, I took my laptop into the apple store the next day and just walked up to a salesman. I showed him the MBP, explained what happened, and he took my laptop to the back, and came out five mins later with a new smooth w key in place of the old one. I thanked him and went on my merry way. First off, I'm impressed that the only thing a metal hammer could do to my keyboard was make a tiiiny crack on my w key. It harmed nothing else. No circuitry was destroyed, my laptop wasn't severely damaged, and only one key went flying. Secondly, I never showed the sales representative a receipt, my warranty, or some other form of id to let him know that I bought the laptop from this specific apple store. And lastly, this wasn't one of the Apple store's geniuses. This was a guy selling stuff on the floor, not the guy behind the genius bar that's specially trained at a secret facility in Cupertino. But whatever, Mac's are fun and so is the apple store. :e: