Sikh Regiment Dumped Over 'racism' Fears

proactive

Guest Dancing Warrior

I wonder what the thousands of our Braves who died in the trenches of Europe fighting a war for an enemy which occupied their home lands would have thought of this?, eventually even to be betrayed by them and to see the biggest exodus in human history.

The countless sacrifices cannot be measured, Yet The English education system whilst starts teaching our primary kids to college students about the peaceful faith of Islam and has Halal on the school menu, fails to educate them about the sacrifices of our people in their war machine and subsequent struggle for independence. Fails to mention the atrocities committed by the crown not even a hundred years ago, fails to mention the nearly three trillion (recorded) sterling they had drained from India at the turn of the 19th century the final amount can never be known and does not take in to account the priceless relics.

Our community is the most successful of any migrant group that has settled in the U.K, we reflect that in home ownership, education, business, taxes etc, yet our history and culture remain an enigma even to our own. In a way I’m glad this regiment does not come to pass, I think we’ve spilt enough blood for the Union Jack, for it and against it, and we should play no part in the occupation and suppression of foreign lands and their people.

During the Battle of Saragarhi, which took place on September 12 1897, a force of just 21 soldiers from the 36th Sikhs held off a force of 10,000 Afghans.

Each of the Sikh soldiers, who chose to die in battle rather than surrender, was posthumously awarded the Indian Order of Merit, a gallantry award equivalent to the Victoria Cross.

The Afghans later admitted they had lost 4,800 men during the engagement. When news of the heroism reached the House of Commons, MPs stood and applauded.

fateh

* In view of the determination of the garrison to continue fighting and defending their position, the Afghans made them several tempting promises to obtain their surrender. The Sikhs ignored all such overtures.[5]

* For hours the fierce fighting continued, while the enemy suffered losses, the number of the defenders was shrinking too, and their stock of ammunition was also being depleted. Sepoy Gurumukh Singh was flashing every detail of the battle through heliographic signals.

* Meanwhile, the enemy set ablaze the area surrounding Saragarhi. Two of the enemy were then able to make a breach in the wall of the signalling post.

* In the final stages of the battle, hand-to-hand fighting ensued.

* The battle now approached too close to Sepoy Gurumukh Singh for him to continue signalling. He signalled to seek permission to close the heliograph. Permission to this effect was flashed back. He packed the heliograph equipment in its leather bag, took out his rifle and commenced firing on the intruding enemies, killing 20 of them [6], before he died fighting.

* The tribesmen set on fire the signalling post. Every defender of Saragarhi had laid down his life to the last man and to the last bullet.

The modern Sikh Regiment continues to celebrate the day of the Battle of Saragarhi each 12 September as the Regimental Battle Honours Day. To commemorate the men the British built two Saragarhi Gurudwaras. One in Amritsar very close to the main entrance of the Golden Temple, and another in Ferozepur Cantonment, which was the district that most of the men hailed from.

In British accounts of the campaign there is little or no mention of this battle, it is more recognised by the Indian Army and the Sikh regiment. In British accounts of the Tirah Campaign the mention if any is of George Findlater.

In the 1999 Kargil Conflict, the Sikh regiment went into action once again, this time against Pakistan. Two battalions of the Sikh regiment- 8 Sikh and 14 Sikh subsequently took part in fierce and bloody fighting along the razor sharp crags and peaks of the Kargil mountains. 8 Sikh took Tiger Hill, whereas 14 Sikh fought at ChorbatLa. Before the fighting began, Officers and men of the Sikh regiment had remembered Saragarhi and taken a vow to uphold the traditions of the Sikh martial heritage

THIS IS WHAT SIKHS DID FOR THE BRITISH WHAT DID THE BRITISH DO FOR THE SIKHS JUST BUILD A COUPLE OF GURDWARAS SIKHS GAVE LIVES FOR THEM.

FATEH

I hope Sikhs learn their lesson about helping out the white man (British).

Anyway, I personally think that Punjabis (notice I said Punjabis, not Sikhs?) shouldn’t join some white man's army because we will be used as pawns.

There is no point of joining a white man's army and be sent to countries to kill poor colour people. (In most cases) There is no need for us minorities to do the dirty work for the white man. So when I read about this whole “Sikh regiment” thing, all I could do is laugh at fools who support this. Having a Sikh regiment in white man’s army is nothing but a big joke to me. I hope it never happens.

Punjabi Link.. i like some of your posts but i see this reply of urs very racist....

Majority of our forefathers do not just blindly support someone in our known history.. Our forefathers had Ankh, sardari and most important loyalty. Sikh joined British army during mutiny era (1850's) because our forefathers saw julam against British families from gujrat to Bombay (butchring). Then Sikhs went against them because of julam against innocent punjabis/indians (Gadar, Azad Hind force, Morchay, bhai randhir singh jee's kurbani and so on)... To sum it up our forefathers didn't helped them because they were goray in Skin or british.. they always go for what they believe is TRUTH in their eyes. Rest is upto this world whether they give them their hard earned credit or not.. They came to this world and did great deed and lived their life according to sikh asoool.. May God Bless them !!

Punjabi Link.. i like some of your posts but i see this reply of urs very racist....

Majority of our forefathers do not just blindly support someone in our known history.. Our forefathers had Ankh, sardari and most important loyalty. Sikh joined British army during mutiny era (1850's) because our forefathers saw julam against British families from gujrat to Bombay (butchring). Then Sikhs went against them because of julam against innocent punjabis/indians (Gadar, Azad Hind force, Morchay, bhai randhir singh jee's kurbani and so on)... To sum it up our forefathers didn't helped them because they were goray in Skin or british.. they always go for what they believe is TRUTH in their eyes. Rest is upto this world whether they give them their hard earned credit or not.. They came to this world and did great deed and lived their life according to sikh asoool.. May God Bless them !!

Fair enough.

But do you honestly believe that today's British army is fighting for the truth? Be honest here.

That must be the most naive post I've read on this site.