Beadbi of Sikhi

What would you do if you knew that someone who has the roop of a GurSikh smokes and drinks?

I know someone at work who acts like a GurSikh at home and to his family but smokes and drinks in secret when he's at work. He has a full open dara and has taken amrit at the Akal Takht a few years ago. He's stopped wearing his Kirpan but claims he does 5 bani and Rehras every day. In addition he has Guru parkash in his house as his father is a Granthi.

I generally don't talk to him and avoid him as much as possible, even though we sit in the same office. I have alot to anger and disgust towards him, which I sometimes find hard to control. He doesn't seem bothered by my disgust as he carries on with the smoking. People at work think I have a problem and that I am stuck up for treating him this way, but they will never understand.

I have talked to him before many times about what he does but before I didn't have much of a leg to stand on as I was no GurSikh myself. But now that I am trying to lead a GurSikh jevan, it's getting more and more unbearable. I think the Akal Purakh is punishing me for all the smoking I did before. Sometimes I am walking to the office doing naam simran and the first thing I see is this guy smoking outside the office. I fill up with rage, but have to control it. Even his dara has gone brown around his mouth due to the tar of the cigerettes.

He doesn't listen to me when I tell him how much beadbi he's doing. He's not sacred of the Akal Purakh because he smokes all day and then goes home and sometimes does chaur sewa and sukhasan.

I feel it's time to tell his family about him even though it will c

ause grief. Maybe it will stop him from doing these manmukh things with his GurSikh roop, or if he wishes to carry on smoking & drinking he may cut his hair.

What would you do?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't beat him up or or any thing like that, because lots of singh drink and smoke that wear a turban and have the roop of a GurSikh, that will be stupid plus its at work and people will not understand.

The thing is the guy at one time must have loved Sikhi thats why he took Amrit, so I would say that you will need to try to find the love for sikhi that he once had, I know it will be hard.

Maybe some thing happened to him that why he does not love Sikhi any more, and he blames Sikhi. The trick would to be his best friend it will be hard, and try to get him to open up his heart, so that you can understand why he as stopped following the Rehat now.

In this case i would leave him alone and worry about my own progress. Leave him to learn his own mistakes. don't interfeer in his life by telling his parents, let them find out on their own, it'll be better that way for you will go out of your way and be teh bearer of bad news for them. From what u've said you have tried to help him realize what he is doing wrong, and he is still determined to do wha the pleases. You have done your duty, if he is not willing to change then you cannot do anything to acheive that change.

As the veer above me said, become his friend, try to seek where he lost the path. Don't judge him, perhaps theres more to the story than just that. Some people are addicted to smoking and feel they have no way out, maybe he wants to quit, u dont' know until he tells you why.

theres a rehatnama like those who chew snuff (im guessing thats like smoking or as bad as) will be beaten around the head and thrown into the pit of hell ;)

i would tell him to stop, and if he doesnt tell his family. if it still continues, give him a beating. thats what i would deem to be an acceptable punishment, the more politically correct people here will say "oh dont worry, dont worry about it". if it really does cause u real krodh u need to do something about it, or it will impede ur own sikhi.

theres a rehatnama like those who chew snuff (im guessing thats like smoking or as bad as) will be beaten around the head and thrown into the pit of hell ;)

i would tell him to stop, and if he doesnt tell his family. if it still continues, give him a beating. thats what i would deem to be an acceptable punishment, the more politically correct people here will say "oh dont worry, dont worry about it". if it really does cause u real krodh u need to do something about it, or it will impede ur own sikhi.

So why don't you beat up all the singhs that Drink as well and shave they beards, that is all so not allowed with in sikh.

How will that guy want to be a GurSikh again if other GurSikh starts to beat him up. make him understand by being his friend and the love for sikhi you hold will rub off on him.

lol ur joking right?? ;)

a bahman harassed a singhnee. she was harrassed over and over, he didnt stop. they told (i think) bhai fauja singh. bhai fauja singh went to the bahman. he told him to stop. the bahman laughed. it happened a few more times, each time bhai sahib gave him a warning. he then said if u do this again there will be serious consequences. the bahman again harassed the singhnee and physically hit her or something i believe. bhai sahib went to the bahman and the bahman began to pull out a weapon after bhai sahib said that was you last warning, now you will have to pay. at this point bhai sahib had a huge AXE since he carried shahsters and decapitated the bahmans head with a single blow.

i believe bhai sahib was out on bail at the time of the 1978 massacre.

most of you, had i not mentioned bhai sahibs name, would have gone "OOOOOOH THATS BAD, you cant be serious!". well i think gurmukhs know a bit better than us. guru gobind singh threw the masands down a well and a number of other informers who were spying on him. again most of you lot here (apart from peeps like mkhalsa, khalistani, those kind of singhs who dont follow their own head, but follow the gurus - at the moment i just have to follow them types of ppl cuz otherwise ill follow my own :nihungsmile: ) would disagree with that, saying oooooooh i am not for capital punishment, i think no one deserves death, let waheguru sort it out.....

so if that is ok why is beating up a patit for living as a total manmukh but appearing as a saintly person, and totally d

isrespecting sikhi, and giving him a warning and telling his family beforehand?

its the same kind of inaction that has screwed over the panth for decades, a KHULLI DHARI singh who does kurehats yet pretends to be religious is the worst type of person, i cannot think of a worse act someone could do other than murder.......

if this singh is getting krodh from seeing this man, then his sprituality will be affected. he needs to get it off his chest. try doing your paath when your really stressed out and ur head is full of rage - i dont think your gonna taste the amrit raas. this singh never claimed to be a gursikh (ie amritdhari) from what ive read, so he is still vunerable to krodh. telling him to just bottle it up will not help him. and to be indifferent in this situation is not good either.