Cutting Grass

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

This is probably a silly question, but is cutting the lawn a bad thing spiritually? grass is life, insects/worms live in it, so if i cut the lawn is this bad cos i will be killing all of this life?

Please can you answer this with gurbani if you can...thankyou very much.

wjkk wjkf

(no, im not trying to get out of house chores)

i was just wondering if it is wrong for me to cut the lawn. waheguru is in all of his creation and so is in grass, insects/worms live in grass. so am i affecting my karma negatively by cutting the lawn? I understand farmers cut crops but that is out of necessity for survival so in that circumstance it is acceptable.

Anyways i jus wanted to know what the sangat thinks about this. am i just being silly?

wjkk wjkf

i was just wondering if it is wrong for me to cut the lawn. waheguru is in all of his creation and so is in grass, insects/worms live in grass. so am i affecting my karma negatively by cutting the lawn? I understand farmers cut crops but that is out of necessity for survival so in that circumstance it is acceptable.

Anyways i jus wanted to know what the sangat thinks about this. am i just being silly?

wjkk wjkf

lil advise jus get ur mom or dad to cut it hahahahahaha!!

I read this somewhere:

''Cutting my hair and assuming a more acceptable western appearance was the easy way out - you could say assimilation at the cost of de-identification or even assimilation at the cost of humiliation because in my opinion, anyone with a demi-perm can never be taken seriously.

Basically in Sikhism you can't cut your hair, you can't cut your beard in fact you can't cut anything. Which explains why Sikh gardens often look like jungles because we can't cut the lawn either.

However it is a well known fact that scores of western Sikhs are visiting the barbers and abandoning their identity to look like the majority. But those who denounce the Sikh identity are conveniently overlooking the first step in being a Sikh i.e. to accept the Guru's instructions and wear the ordained Sikh uniform.

At our school if you didn't wear the school uniform the headmaster gave you a detention. Who's to say what the big headmaster in the sky has in store for his pupils who refuse to wear their Sikh uniform. Maybe he too dishes out detention or worse still eternal damnation…in a demi-perm.

The Sikh uniform was proclaimed by the tenth Guru; Guru Gobind Singh who in 1699 at a harvest festival called Vaisakhi initiated himself and his Sikhs into the universal 'personhood' called The Khalsa. The initiation served to unite Sikhs, to demolish walls of prejudice between man and man, woman and man, religion and religion and football team and football team - ok I made that one up, no one can unite different football supporters.

The Khalsa shed all superstitions, birth and idol worship and enforced belief in only the One God.

It also abolished the caste system by asking male Sikhs to adopt Singh as a suffix to their name and females to adopt Kaur.

Kaur means princess and if you're a Sikh lady living in the east end of London you might well be a Pearly Princess referred to as a "Kaur-blimey"...who regularly plays the 'piana' with her sister 'En Kaur'.

Singh means lion - which is perhaps appropriate because it's the lioness that does all the work around the den. The Khalsa collective serves to create nationalism and sovereignty but unlike the Borg collective in Star Trek, the Khalsa does not constrain our unique personalities, our individual paths in life and our membership of the Captain Kirk fan club.

It seems that many forget that 'God fearing' people can also be 'fun making' people. God does have a sense of humour. Why else did he give us Teletubbies or the Eurovision Song Contest or George Bush.

Sikhs can retain their identity and still crack jokes, have a boogie and with a little care for the turban, even go bungee-jumping!''

Guest Dancing Warrior

Cutting the grass is incredibly bad for your karma you could be reborn a flymo grass cutter in your next life, now that would be a crappy existence! :umm:

thanks for all your comments (i think!) lol maybe i am just trying to get out of cutting the lawn. i dunno i guess when i looked at the grass today it reminded me of my kesh, how if its cut it grows back.

maybe i am just being silly by refusing to do it

Guest Akirtghan

grin.gif lets see now, if you do that then u'd also have to do all of the following

- stop eating or drinking (water)

- stop walking on the ground, ie. fly

- stop breathing as well