What Sikh Is To Me

JustME

i been reading alot of threads recently and have been surprised at myself and other sangat about our general lack of the core foundations and basics of Sikhi

i think especially kids on the western side lack the basics.............such as who our Guru's are............what Sikhi, in general is all about.............

So sangat i want us all to be honest and say: -

Wot is a Sikh?

no debates...........no arguments..............just wot we think and why............maybe by working through our confusing we cn come together and find the real essence of Sikhi that in todays wolrd of Kalyug we are all moving furthur and furthur away from

well lets start with me.........................i cant call myself a true sikh but i was born into the sikh faith as my parents were also born into the sikh faith but not amrithari and my grandparents were also non-amritharis.....................so when i think of a Sikh i think of Khalsa, when i think of Khalsa i think of the Panj Pyare that Guru Gobind Singh Jee made.................and im definatly not one of them and even in a thousand lifeltimes will probably never be as pure as our beloved panj pyare were

5 people who before sikhi were lost in caste, race, social indifference Guru Jee united as one..........

However when i look at todays sikhi i see everything that Guru Jee tried to put a stop to.............prejudice, castes, segregation

these people (myself included) call themselves sikh but do everything that sikhi tried to move away from

Parents cut their hair and fashion themselves to be accepted by a society who takes please in people falling and cant stand to see anyone happy........yet when their children go off the rails they cant understand y? i asked my mum if she knew the names of the 10 guru's and shes goes "where there 10? oh rite i didnt knw that" :wub: rolleyes.gif

i knw we are in the age of kaljug where man is currupted and deaseased and possessed by the 5 chors and this is the worst age out of the 4 yugas but i feel that sikhi is losing its true identity............

Sikhi to me is summed up in three sentances

Read Bani (as it shows sikhi the way to leading a pure, wholesome life)

always be generous in alla aspects of ur life but expect nothing in return

Consider yourelf the dust of the charan of even ur worst, most hated enemy

finally i havent started this thread to created arguments or heated discussions but a way for all of us to openly expressed how we feel about sikhi and what WE think Sikhi is..............these are just some pathetic opinions of this murakh and are not meant to be imposed on anyone so i sed anything to offend or upset anyone, i beg for sangat's forgivness

Waheguru Je Ka Khalsa Waheguru je Ki Fateh

wow you wrote an essay! lol

basically to me being a Sikh is to live life in peace and tolerance and follow the wise words and teachings of the SGGS ji. I'm not amrithdari or keshdhari, I cut my hair and shave but I still have love of Sikhi. Because to me my only guru is SGGS ji and nowhere in there does it state one must have uncut hair or apperance of a Khalsa to be a Sikh so its all down to interpretation.

I believe, if you or Sikhs in general are attacked then then you have a right to do to the same to the perpretors as they do to you.

"as they sow so shall they reap" - quote from sri guru nanak dev ji , I believe.

I interrept that as law of karma... if you dont want bad things happening to you dont do bad/sinful things to others in first place and if you've been wronged then its just for you to seek equaliberium.

Sat Sri Akal;

For me the sikh is the one who has learnt to live by the wishes of God. A person who can accept everyting as his Hukam.

A sikh must live as portrayed by Our Gurus, we should do Path atleast one tenth of a day.

Whatever happens just except evrything as wish of guru without any remorse or happiness, it is one of the toughest things but we can try to attain it.

In sikhism the guru's aint told you to do anything they have given u choices. Its your choice to if you want to jaap naam or not, its up to you if you want to stay away from the vices its up to you to keep kesh or not. But the gurus have told the advantages of donig such things according to their teachnigs.

I cut my hair and shave but I still have love of Sikhi. Because to me my only guru is SGGS ji and nowhere in there does it state one must have uncut hair or apperance of a Khalsa to be a Sikh so its all down to interpretation.

For you to belive that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is your Guru, you must believe in Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji who passed the Gurgaddi to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji created the Khalsa and blessed us with his roop/image. The Khalsa was so important to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji that he said he would sacrifice to entire family to be blessed with Amrit from the Panj Pyare. The hair that you cut from your head voluntarily is the same hair that great Shaheed's like Bhai Taru Singh Ji gave their lives for.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not just rules of what you can and cannot do. We learn from the way the Gurus lived, what they did, the rehatnamas etc. Therefore, please forgive me, but I just had to say that your comment is totally wrong.

A S1KH is a student, we all are sikhs.

Some are in grade 1 and some have already done their PhDs. A 1st grader should always be ready to listen to what the Phd holder has to say and the Phd guys shouldn't demean the 1st graders. We have to get around this "everyone being at a different level" concept and not judge people based on our personal opinions. Spread the love folks instead of creating divisions.

only for sehajdhari veer,

You said:

Because to me my only guru is SGGS ji and nowhere in there does it state one must have uncut hair or apperance of a Khalsa to be a Sikh so its all down to interpretation.

Tera already gave a superb reply to what you had written. Could you please tell me where does it say in Sri Guru Granth Sahib that you can cut your hair?

ps: i don't want to have a debate with you but we shouldn't be making statements just to defend our actions. We are humans and i am pretty sure our actions are flawed to the max.

Without getting into details:

"Kirat Karo Wand Chako Naam Japo". This defines a Sikh to Me.

Building on what B4ND4 veer said, a Sikh is a student:

A child asked his mom once "Why has God send us on this earth, and when our time is done, we have no choice; we have to die and go back to God. Why send us in the first place when we eventually have to die and go back? What a logistical nightmare!!!"

Mom: "To Learn, to gain knowledge"

Child: "What?"

Mom clarifies: "In the mornings, even if you don't want to go, I force you to go to school. I pretty much drag you to school. Because, I want you to learn something. However, I the one who forced you to go, eagerly wait for you when school is done, and I am worried if you are late. In the same fashion, God forces you to leave and become a life long learner (SIKH), but when your time is done, he eagerly awaits you"