Question About God

_GURSIKH_

sloku mÚ 1 ]

salok mehlaa 1.

Shalok, First Mehl:

Awpy BWfy swijAnu Awpy pUrxu dyie ]

aapay bhaaNday saaji-an aapay pooran day-ay.

He Himself fashioned the vessel of the body, and He Himself fills it.

iekn@I duDu smweIAY ieik cul@Y rhin@ cVy ]

iknHee duDh samaa-ee-ai ik chulHai rehniH charhay.

Into some, milk is poured, while others remain on the fire.

ieik inhwlI pY svin@ ieik aupir rhin KVy ]

ik nihaalee pai savniH ik upar rahan kharhay.

Some lie down and sleep on soft beds, while others remain watchful.

iqn@w svwry nwnkw ijn@ kau ndir kry ]1]

tinHaa savaaray naankaa jinH ka-o nadar karay. ||1||

He adorns those, O Nanak, upon whom He casts His Glance of Grace. ||1||

krn krwvn krnYhwru ]

karan karaavan karnaihaar.

The Doer, the Cause of causes, is the Creator Lord.

ies kY hwiQ khw bIcwru ]

is kai haath kahaa beechaar.

What deliberations are in the hands of mortal beings?

jYsI idRsit kry qYsw hoie ]

jaisee darisat karay taisaa ho-ay.

As God casts His Glance of Grace, they come to be.

Awpy Awip Awip pRBu soie ]

aapay aap aap parabh so-ay.

God Himself, of Himself, is unto Himself.

jo ikCu kIno su ApnY rMig ]

jo kichh keeno so apnai rang.

Whatever He created, was by His Own Pleasure.

sB qy dUir sBhU kY sMig ]

sabh tay door sabhhoo kai sang.

He is far from all, and yet with all.

bUJY dyKY krY ibbyk ]

boojhai daykhai karai bibayk.

He understands, He sees, and He passes judgment.

Awpih eyk Awpih Anyk ]

aapeh ayk aapeh anayk.

He Himself is the One, and He Himself is the many.

mrY n ibnsY AwvY n jwie ]

marai na binsai aavai na jaa-ay.

He does not die or perish; He does not come or go.

nwnk sd hI rihAw smwie ]6]

naanak sad hee rahi-aa samaa-ay. ||6||

O Nanak, He remains forever All-pervading. ||6||

Awip aupdysY smJY Awip ]

aap updaysai samjhai aap.

He Himself instructs, and He Himself learns.

Awpy ricAw sB kY swiQ ]

aapay rachi-aa sabh kai saath.

He Himself mingles with all.

Awip kIno Awpn ibsQwru ]

aap keeno aapan bisthaar.

He Himself created His own expanse.

sBu kCu aus kw Ehu krnYhwru ]

sabh kachh us kaa oh karnaihaar.

All things are His; He is the Creator.

aus qy iBMn khhu ikCu hoie ]

us tay bhinn kahhu kichh ho-ay.

Without Him, what could be done?

Qwn Qnµqir eykY soie ]

thaan thanantar aykai so-ay.

In the spaces and interspaces, He is the One.

Apuny cilq Awip krxYhwr ]

apunay chalit aap karnaihaar.

In His own play, He Himself is the Actor.

kauqk krY rMg Awpwr ]

ka-utak karai rang aapaar.

He produces His plays with infinite variety.

mn mih Awip mn Apuny mwih ]

man meh aap man apunay maahi.

He Himself is in the mind, and the mind is in Him.

nwnk kImiq khnu n jwie ]7]

naanak keemat kahan na jaa-ay. ||7||

O Nanak, His worth cannot be estimated. ||7||

y did god ' suppodsly ' create such bad opinions or bad ppl?? :wub:
Because in a movie it's no fun without baddies as well as goodies.

world would be such a dry place if there was no evil. everything has its parallel, think about it :wub:

for example, if there was no hunger, there wont be any need for food !!!! no thrist = no water. keep going on and on and on and on and on, u get no evil = no good

YEpp u have to have a opposite to something to make it understandable....If i said im going to go Blah, u wouldnt no what i was saying because there is no opposite to blah

Guest Lohgarh Singh

lol , LOL.gif

brother, i think your friend has completly forgotern why he taken this birth

life isnt supposed to be fun, happy or joyous. its a test set by God, thats what life is, a test, just one big crappy test.

like your university/GCSE/A level finals etc, a test wouldnt be a test if you knew all the answers and found it all easy would it? its meant to be challenging and trying so that the examiners can see how knowledgeable you are, same way God is trying to see how pure you are so you can therefore elevate yourself to further levels of spirituality and eventually merge back with God.

if waheguru didnt how wud we no rite from rong? waheguru created bad actions and ppl to show us wot NOT to be and mayb ther not that bad

Guest Guest

So we can express ourselves. God created courts of justice as well (for bad people).

Guest Guest

I'd like to point out, after having had a fairly limited exposure to philosophy (but even so...), how universal this thought that "u need bad to know good is" really is. The light/dark metaphor has been here since the Hellenistic era (look into neo-platonism) and its widely used in semitic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) and also in Zoroastroanism, i'm guessing. As an aside, the book Sophie's World is a great read...

Well, anyways, this intrigued me enough that I'm sharing this little mindblowing bit of historical perspective i learned...There are two rough categories of religions/beliefs: indo-european and semitic. Indo-European culture was polytheistic and was found for example in India (Hinduism) and Europe (Greek/Roman gods, Pagan gods) and Central Asian religions which now probably don't even exist. Semitic culture was monotheistic and was Judaism initially. Christianity was the merger of semitic monotheistic views and, to some degree, included the influence of greek culture (and of course, Rome). It observed all the prophets of Judaism and also Jesus (Jews-Old Testament, Christian-New Testament). Islam observes both of them combined plus Mohammed. So they're all connected, whatever the present conflicts might lead u to believe. By the time sikhism developed, it obviously had resonances of both Hinduism and Islam and other bhagats of the day, so we are in fact the children of both cultures, indo-european and semitic. How's that for connections?

Erm....sorry for the history lecture....

And to answer the original poster...here's a few premises u probably agree with:

God created people

People are self-aware and can make their own decisions

Not everyone makes the same choices

Therefore, isn't it logical to say that some will be 'bad' (btw, the world isn't black and white) and others will be good?

i think it may not put my name here so I'm skepticSikh (just joined, posting as guest) at your seva...

WJKK WJKF