Question

Kinni

WJKK WJKF

As we all know simran is a major part of the Sikh Path. The other day as I was doing simran and a thought came to my head, what truely are we suppose to be focusing on when we simar naam?

Many times an individual may naturally find their self colored in naam and drift into it gracefully. Sometimes listening to a bani line may be inspiring and lead to a focus. And I guess for years it has been a subconscious task for me. But I was just wondering what people focus on while doing simran? Is it literally a word “whaeguru, raam, har etc.” is it a certain feeling or image of god in your mind? Is it a feeling of love or the way of maybe calling out to god with every breath? Like what exactly should one be focusing on while doing simran for a long time?

I understand that most of the time it may be a misture of things. BUt, as we progress spiritually should we be i dunno maybe fine tuning the focus?

Guest Narinder Singh

I've thought about this a lot too, so thank you for posting this question. :wub:

So yea, what does one focus on when doing simran?

Fateh.

I think its a personal thing. I dont focus on something but imagine being in the presence of guru granth sahib ji or a place which gives me complete shanti.. usually harmandar sahib, I imagine sitting there on the parkarmar at the hours of amritvela-it really helps me to focus, as it would if I were really there. I dont think its as cut and dry as people make out, simran is remembrance - how do you remember him (its a personal thing between you and yourself).

i guess to say it in simpler terms "what do you think about when you say waheguru (vaheguru); especially when its for a long period?"

In order to progress spiritually we must grow in a certain direction through simran no? or am i just over thinking or complicating something simple.

just wondering what approaches other people may be taking

Benti to all members,

Please focus ONLY on your voice soing the simran Waheguru waheguru jaap, That ois a very important point

Other focuses of images etc etc is not going to be reach higher avastha

My reference: Akath Katha (Bhai Sahib Ajit Singh)

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

durin simran.. i try to focus my mind on the shabad 'Vaheguru'... have the GurMantr Image in my head... also to speak vaheguru with my tongue and hear it with my ears... i try to get to a point where i'm absorbed in the naam... absorbed in the naadh... where i can hear myself and picture the Gurmantr... and jus let the ress'a my mind 'go' free... and 'lose myself' in VAHEGURU..

Well, this is how i do simran. Recite Satnaam Vaheguroo with my toungue and hear it with my ears for about 5-10 minutes, after that recite Satnaam Vaheguroo in your head, imagine your mind reciting Satnaam Vaheguroo do that for as long as possible! you'll get lot of peace after that, this is what i have achieved! Reciting in your mind is not so easy at the begining so you can use your natural breathing for some assistance, for example when you breathe in imagine SATNAAM in your mind and while you exhale imagine VAHEGUROO!

the thing about most of us sikhs is that we do not take meditation seriously. Meditation is the most important on the path to vaheguroo. Meditation will not only help us bring closer to him, it will help us self-realise in the long-term and help us kill the panj doots!

lowest of the low