Questions

Kinni

WJKK WJKF

Guys got a quick question emm I recently developed an interest in Bhai Veer (Vir) Singh Jee's works and I needed some information on him. 1) Is his name spelled Veer or Vir? Because I came across both spellings. The Veer (Vir) Singh I am interested in was connected to (spiritual inspiration of) Professor Puran Singh. 2) Would anyone know if he only wrote in Punjabi or if he has English works too? I found some English stuff on www.dhangurunanak.com but it seems like it is all translations by scholars. I found some old UK forum in which people talked about his work being posted online but I've had trouble finding it. 3) would anyone know where i can find it? anything online? 4) any recommendation on which of his works to read?

Also who is Bibi Satwant Kaur Jee (in Sikh historical context)? Does anyone know anything on her? I know Bhai Vir Singh has written a book by this title. I was also offered a book with the same title but by another author. But I choose "Sisters of the Spinning Wheel" by Puran SIngh Jee instead. SO I wanted to ask around and see who Satwant Kaur was.

*I've also seen the Bibi Jees name spelled "Satvant Kaur"

Also if you have not read Puran singh, o my you need to start.

SO please let me know if you have answers to any of my questions or any recommendations of Artsy or inspiring Sikh books.

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh!!!

I'm glad to hear you are reading Professor Puran Singh Ji's books, and looking into Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh Ji!

1) Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh Ji's name has both spellings because it is "bihari" vowel, and in Roman letters it can be represented by both "ee" and "i". However, I have most often seen it spelt "Bhai Vir Singh Ji", the way it is on all the translated books I have, and was spelt like that even by Professor Puran Singh Ji.

2) From what I have heard, Bhai Sahib didn't write anything in English. I know there are translations of his works available, but I'm doubtful that all of them have been translated.

3 novels by Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh Ji, that I have infront of me are:

Sundri - translated by Dr. Gobind Singh Mansukhani

Bijai Singh - translated by Devinder Singh Duggal

Satwant Kaur - translated by Ujager Singh Bawa

The closest translation you can get, to the heart of Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh Ji, is a translation by Professor Puran Singh Ji, who was very dear to Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh Ji. He translated only one of his books into English; Nargas, a fabulous collection of Bhai Vir Singh Ji's poems.

3) Sundri can be found at: http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublications/sundri/

or in PDF at: www.amritbani.com/documents/Bhai_Vir_Singh_Sundri.pdf

as for the other ones... I can't find them either online... just, same what you mentionned at www.dhangurunanak.com or bits and peices here and there on other sites. If anyone can help us here, that would be great.

4) I DO recommend Satwant Kaur... and Nargas! Well, they are ALL good, from what I've read up to now... I don't know the actual historical information on Satwant Kaur, but if it's like the book, WOW - a woman of courage!!! ALL Singhs and Singhnees must read it.

As for Professor Puran Singh Ji... Please read:

The Bride of the Sky!!!!!

The Sisters of the Spinning Wheel

The Spirit of Oriental Poetry

(A small book called "The Reminences of Puran Singh" by Basant Singh Kumari --- was ok, but there was missing some important chunks of information. It hardly even mentionned Bhai Vir Singh Ji, and how Professor Puran Singh Ji returned to Sikhism, and how his poetry was... only that he wrote a lot. I honestly think that book was "modified"... to fit someone else's purpose.)

He has an actual Autobiography (which I have yet to read) called "On Paths of Life"

Other books which I have yet to read, but I bet they are as wonderful are:

The Temple of Tulips

Walt Whitman and the Sikh Inspiration

The Spirit born People

------------

I'm also interested in knowing more about Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh Ji, and the historical Satwant Kaur, and Professor Puran Singh Ji... and if and where any of their translated works can be found online...

Keep me posted!

And forgive me if I made any mistakes...

Paths of Life was the first book i read by Puran singh jee.

I just bought Nargas and Satwant Kaur! cant wait to start them! I also have "Spirit Born People, Sisters of the spinning Wheel, The Bride of The Sky, and Walt Whitman and the Sikh inspiration" I hear Spirit born people is one of Puran SIngh Jee's most interesting works.

I still have to find their works online but for now I found a lot of their books at a Book store called Saucha Sauda # 905 459 8351

Thanks for all your help

• 2 weeks later...

"Nargas" by Bhai Vir Singh translation by Puran Singh

He Came this way; that way he went;

I saw him and I lost him.

He was but now before my eyes;

He has just gone that way.

He has just gone, and yet cannot return.

Ask me not what I am doing in the open--in the rain, sunshine, and storm!

Touch me NOT, advise me NOT!

He came this way, that way he went.

I saw him and lost him. He was just before my eyes;

I am not searching for him,

I am but looking the way he went;

But my left hand shades my eyes,

And I look -- my eyelids do not droop- on the road that he has gone.

My eyes close not, they are still looking for him who hath not yet returned,

He who wakes in me ever new a thousand feelings yet unborn, and things of love uknown to me--

He, he who took my heart away by one glance at me!

Touch me not, advise me no more, Pray!

I am not concerned with the hundred roads that go;

I sit, and here i will sit by this road where he has gone;

I will wait here for him.

I will fix my eyes on this road,

He will look this way,

For this way I saw him go.

I am sad now for his love,

I will still sit and wait for him,

And let pass the pageant of the world.

It shall be nothing to me, if ages pass;

He will soon becoming this way.

Touch me not, advise me no more!

My Mind has let go the hold of all the things it had;

It is only an eye, a beautiful eye, a fixed gaze, an unwearying look, a woman's vow;

It is only looking in the way I saw him go.

My mind is filled with sudden joy;

I feel he is coming, my eyes burn bringhter;

But my heart soon fails with pain again, and my eyes grow dim with tears.

O the pain grows unbearable!

And my eyes mourn as if the life of my life has gone from me for ever.

I caution myself; no such ill forebodings will allow to rule within.

My eyes glow again from a hundred auspicious signs,

I make offerings of joy to gods,

And I look along the way he went -- surely he cannot be very far!

Day changes into night and night into day,

But change not my eyes.

They are fixed now forever;

They have forgotten how to close,

They know no sleep, no rest;

My life neither meat nor drink,

It is all at gaze, on the way that he has gone.

Destroy the tasks of duty!

Let go, in the great fire of death and change, the deeds and the calls of life!

My vocation of life is this. Go from me. I am not yours!

My body fails, let it fail, let it fade and extinguish!

But never shall the gaze of my eyes turn from the way he has gone!

LIFE GOES, LET IT GO;

My soul is in my eyes last a little while more!

Mu life is in my eyes,

The elements try in vain to dry me up by drying blood and flesh and bone.

There is a little lamp of life lit by love and set in the shrine of my eyes,

And I tell you the winds of death know not how to blow it out.

It is the light of the beloved,

That burns in the infinite storm of change, unchanged in my eyes.

My eyes are a spark of heaven;

I live and live as long as heaven is,

As long as love and life are.

My eyes beam and glisten,

And they are fixed forever on the road he has gone!

They shall look without an eyelid's droop for ever along that way.

All other limbs are dead, let them die; but let my eyes remain.

The green stem has turned dry,

But heaven and earth nurse them who have ceased to nurse themdselves,

Eternity now is mine!

My eyes have been looking along the way my love has gone from me.

In the name of Allah, I swear,

I had but one glimpse of him!

He came this way, that way he went,

I saw him, and I lost him.

He was but now before my eyes.

He has gone, and hath not yet returned.

It was but one glance, one glance that made me so selfless.

It was one glance that made me for ever pale and white.

And on and on for ever, I look for him!

He made me death-pale, white and ill;

he took my sleep and rest away.

O Allah! I had but one glimpse of him!

My eyes are as cups held in a beggar's hands, waiting still to be filled with love.

He came this way, that way he went!

I saw him and I lost him. He was but now before my eyes.

He has gone, my love has gone that way!

He has gone, and hath not yet returned!