Patka/dastaar

Guest soon to be kaur

Guest Guest
are you guys kidding me?? who judges what is acceptable or not....you could wear a dastaar and act completely inappropriately. Theres a few Singhnia i know that have worn the Dastaar but several years down the line have taken it off...comments like this which state that patka is unacceptable arent helpful at all.

Just because someone wears a Dastar and act inappropriately, or takes it off later, that does not make the Dastar less compulsory. I am sure those Bibian also wore Kara, Kirpan, etc, that does not mean it is acceptable to go without these also.

actaully i have ssen amrit sanchaars where bibia wear pataks and also dastaar, so i think u dnt know what you talking about. however i do agree that biba should wear dastaar but thats there own personal option and cannot be forced. read my signature and you will understand the basic rehit

Because it happens in an Amrit Sanchar doesn't neccesarily make it right, there are Gursikhs who have also witnessed the Panj arguing between themselves over which Rehat to give in the middle of the Amrit Sanchar! Rehat is not a case of being 'forced'; either something is a Rehat which a Gursikh must follow, or it is not a Rehat which someone does not need to be follow. There are no Rehats which are 'optional' or 'do it if you feel like it' - either Guru Sahib has told us to do it, or he hasn't!

The Rehat Maryada in your signature, quotes Rehatnama written by Bhai Daya Singh as a source on Rehat. This same Bhai Daya Singh Rehatnama says very clearly it is NOT acceptable for Bibian to have their hair at the back of their head, it says that they must have their hair knotted at the top of the head!

Guest _surjit_
vjkk vjkf!

sangat jeeo, im taking amrit soon and i am seriously thinking of the dastaar. But i was going to start with the patka for many reasons. A dastaar carries many responsibilites as in you are now respresenting so you have to be perfect ..kinda. i think i should wait for it maybe a couple of months. but now i was think of the patka becuase it accomplishes keeping your head covered and it would be less of a shock for my family memebers and stuff. My dad is also against dastaar in a way so i thought a patka would like cool him down at first and then slpwly. so my question here is is it okay to wear a patka? any advice ?

just go for it. i too was really weary about wearing my dastaar for the first time wore a patka bandana style for ages(too long) . i just kept thinking i was not responsible enough to wear a dastaar but realised that's just silly. my family were a bit shocked about me wearing a dastaar but they soon got used to it, now they feel proud. go for it lol

fateh in reply to super_singhni and the guest, whove said we sdhould look @ our past to learn, i agree with you but my point is that we shouldnt let the past mistakes hold us back frm what is right, guru ji has said that we should wear a dastaar once we have taken amrit, im sure people have done bad things and then taken there dastaar off but dwelling on it does not help! i agree with the comment above about the kara,kirpan being the same as the dastaar!

bhul chuk maf peepz :wub:

Guest Guest
are you guys kidding me?? who judges what is acceptable or not....you could wear a dastaar and act completely inappropriately. Theres a few Singhnia i know that have worn the Dastaar but several years down the line have taken it off...comments like this which state that patka is unacceptable arent helpful at all.

Just because someone wears a Dastar and act inappropriately, or takes it off later, that does not make the Dastar less compulsory. I am sure those Bibian also wore Kara, Kirpan, etc, that does not mean it is acceptable to go without these also.

actaully i have ssen amrit sanchaars where bibia wear pataks and also dastaar, so i think u dnt know what you talking about. however i do agree that biba should wear dastaar but thats there own personal option and cannot be forced. read my signature and you will understand the basic rehit

Because it happens in an Amrit Sanchar doesn't neccesarily make it right, there are Gursikhs who have also witnessed the Panj arguing between themselves over which Rehat to give in the middle of the Amrit Sanchar! Rehat is not a case of being 'forced'; either something is a Rehat which a Gursikh must follow, or it is not a Rehat which someone does not need to be follow. There are no Rehats which are 'optional' or 'do it if you feel like it' - either Guru Sahib has told us to do it, or he hasn't!

The Rehat Maryada in your signature, quotes Rehatnama written by Bhai Daya Singh as a source on Rehat. This same Bhai Daya Singh Rehatnama says very clearly it is NOT acceptable for Bibian to have their hair at the back of their head, it says that they must have their hair knotted at the top of the head!

I dont disagree with you, yes all panj Kakkara are very important, but they all have different reasons for being part of us....so one could say that wearing the Dastaar has different effects on the person compared to wearing the Kirpan.

I personally feel that you need confidence and pride when wearing a Dastaar...I started off wearing a Patka after my amrit sanchar, i feel that this was an important step to me now tying a Dastaar.

Everyone progresses differently, i dont mean to offend. :wub:

I dont disagree with you, yes all panj Kakkara are very important, but they all have different reasons for being part of us....so one could say that wearing the Dastaar has different effects on the person compared to wearing the Kirpan.

I personally feel that you need confidence and pride when wearing a Dastaar...I started off wearing a Patka after my amrit sanchar, i feel that this was an important step to me now tying a Dastaar.

Everyone progresses differently, i dont mean to offend. :wub:

vjkk vjkf!

sangat jeeo, im taking amrit soon and i am seriously thinking of the dastaar. But i was going to start with the patka for many reasons. A dastaar carries many responsibilites as in you are now respresenting so you have to be perfect ..kinda. i think i should wait for it maybe a couple of months. but now i was think of the patka becuase it accomplishes keeping your head covered and it would be less of a shock for my family memebers and stuff. My dad is also against dastaar in a way so i thought a patka would like cool him down at first and then slpwly. so my question here is is it okay to wear a patka? any advice ?

Vaheguru ... Whether you wear a dastaar .. .a patka ... a chunni ... or a bandana ... all should be worn with confidence, pride, and respect. One doesnt carry more 'responsibilities' over the other. no matter what you wear...dastaar....bana....anything ... you should always remmeber your responsibilities as a Sikh.. responsibilities arent specific to a patka or a dastaar...theyre specific to a Sikh.... so being humble doesnt come with wearing a dastaar...or acting a certain way....or doing certain things... Whats the purpose of any of these (dastaar/[patka/chunni) ? A sign of respect for our Guru ... no one can judge a relationship between you and Guru Ji ... Bhenji .. .do Ardaas ... and the answer will come to you from Guru Ji himself ... there aren't 'stages' of head coverings ... you dont go from a chunni then move up to a patka then above all a dastaar...its all about personal opinion .. .whatever you feel is what Guru Ji is himself telling you ... so follow that voice after Ardaas ... its Guru Ji speaking ... only he knows what will be best for you

vjkk vjkf!

Vaheguru ... Whether you wear a dastaar .. .a patka ... a chunni ... or a bandana ... all should be worn with confidence, pride, and respect. One doesnt carry more 'responsibilities' over the other. no matter what you wear...dastaar....bana....anything ... you should always remmeber your responsibilities as a Sikh.. responsibilities arent specific to a patka or a dastaar...theyre specific to a Sikh.... so being humble doesnt come with wearing a dastaar...or acting a certain way....or doing certain things... Whats the purpose of any of these (dastaar/[patka/chunni) ? A sign of respect for our Guru ... no one can judge a relationship between you and Guru Ji ... Bhenji .. .do Ardaas ... and the answer will come to you from Guru Ji himself ... there aren't 'stages' of head coverings ... you dont go from a chunni then move up to a patka then above all a dastaar...its all about personal opinion .. .whatever you feel is what Guru Ji is himself telling you ... so follow that voice after Ardaas ... its Guru Ji speaking ... only he knows what will be best for you

That's very well said Princess Bhenji d_oh.gifd_oh.gif

Guest Guest

excellent response princess, the best one in this thread.

be humble and be content, wear ur patka with pride :wub: or if u wear a dastar wear that with pride :D or if you wear a chunni (as long as it sticks to ur head lol) wear that with pride too :wub: but remember pride does not mean hunkar! :)

To the poster ---> i took amrit last month i just wanted to tie a dastar and i didnt even start with a ramal because it diidnt even cover my hair properly and it falls off so fast so i learned how to tie dastar practised a week be4 amrit sanchar ... i was gonna cry if i didnt tie a dastar on amrit sanchar like if i couldnt tie it ...once or when u start wearing a dastar youll understand how COMFORTABLE it is. no joke and if u tie it tight it wont fall off at night

Dont keep thinking that ur not good enuff to wear a datsar start practising and tie it full time from the day of amrit sanchar your dastar will push you to wake up at amrit vela itll make u wanna live up to it i say go for it.

Oh yea if u think u wont be confident enuf to go it in public ur mindset totally changes after amrit sanchar >>i never notice ppl staring at me plus i dont care but be4 amrit sanchar i was so scared like how am i gonn pull this off lol but do ardas to guru ji everyday to bless u with amrit and the strength to tie a dastar and represent it :TH: