Patka/dastaar

Guest soon to be kaur

vjkk vjkf!

sangat jeeo, im taking amrit soon and i am seriously thinking of the dastaar. But i was going to start with the patka for many reasons. A dastaar carries many responsibilites as in you are now respresenting so you have to be perfect ..kinda. i think i should wait for it maybe a couple of months. but now i was think of the patka becuase it accomplishes keeping your head covered and it would be less of a shock for my family memebers and stuff. My dad is also against dastaar in a way so i thought a patka would like cool him down at first and then slpwly. so my question here is is it okay to wear a patka? any advice ?

Vaheguru ... Whether you wear a dastaar .. .a patka ... a chunni ... or a bandana ... all should be worn with confidence, pride, and respect. One doesnt carry more 'responsibilities' over the other. no matter what you wear...dastaar....bana....anything ... you should always remmeber your responsibilities as a Sikh.. responsibilities arent specific to a patka or a dastaar...theyre specific to a Sikh.... so being humble doesnt come with wearing a dastaar...or acting a certain way....or doing certain things... Whats the purpose of any of these (dastaar/[patka/chunni) ? A sign of respect for our Guru ... no one can judge a relationship between you and Guru Ji ... Bhenji .. .do Ardaas ... and the answer will come to you from Guru Ji himself ... there aren't 'stages' of head coverings ... you dont go from a chunni then move up to a patka then above all a dastaar...its all about personal opinion .. .whatever you feel is what Guru Ji is himself telling you ... so follow that voice after Ardaas ... its Guru Ji speaking ... only he knows what will be best for you

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i started keepin my kes around december last year. First i wore a bandana i guess thats a patka basically. It enabled me to get used to walkin around in public with my head covered (was very daunting

fateh in reply to super_singhni and the guest, whove said we sdhould look @ our past to learn, i agree with you but my point is that we shouldnt let the past mistakes hold us back frm what is right, g

if you wear a patka wont you get mixed up with a muslim girl?

vjkk vjkf!

sangat jeeo, im taking amrit soon and i am seriously thinking of the dastaar. But i was going to start with the patka for many reasons. A dastaar carries many responsibilites as in you are now respresenting so you have to be perfect ..kinda. i think i should wait for it maybe a couple of months. but now i was think of the patka becuase it accomplishes keeping your head covered and it would be less of a shock for my family memebers and stuff. My dad is also against dastaar in a way so i thought a patka would like cool him down at first and then slpwly. so my question here is is it okay to wear a patka? any advice ?

Vaheguru ... Whether you wear a dastaar .. .a patka ... a chunni ... or a bandana ... all should be worn with confidence, pride, and respect. One doesnt carry more 'responsibilities' over the other. no matter what you wear...dastaar....bana....anything ... you should always remmeber your responsibilities as a Sikh.. responsibilities arent specific to a patka or a dastaar...theyre specific to a Sikh.... so being humble doesnt come with wearing a dastaar...or acting a certain way....or doing certain things... Whats the purpose of any of these (dastaar/[patka/chunni) ? A sign of respect for our Guru ... no one can judge a relationship between you and Guru Ji ... Bhenji .. .do Ardaas ... and the answer will come to you from Guru Ji himself ... there aren't 'stages' of head coverings ... you dont go from a chunni then move up to a patka then above all a dastaar...its all about personal opinion .. .whatever you feel is what Guru Ji is himself telling you ... so follow that voice after Ardaas ... its Guru Ji speaking ... only he knows what will be best for you

That's very well said Princess Bhenji d_oh.gifd_oh.gif

Guest Guest

excellent response princess, the best one in this thread.

be humble and be content, wear ur patka with pride :wub: or if u wear a dastar wear that with pride :D or if you wear a chunni (as long as it sticks to ur head lol) wear that with pride too :wub: but remember pride does not mean hunkar! :)

To the poster ---> i took amrit last month i just wanted to tie a dastar and i didnt even start with a ramal because it diidnt even cover my hair properly and it falls off so fast so i learned how to tie dastar practised a week be4 amrit sanchar ... i was gonna cry if i didnt tie a dastar on amrit sanchar like if i couldnt tie it ...once or when u start wearing a dastar youll understand how COMFORTABLE it is. no joke and if u tie it tight it wont fall off at night

Dont keep thinking that ur not good enuff to wear a datsar start practising and tie it full time from the day of amrit sanchar your dastar will push you to wake up at amrit vela itll make u wanna live up to it i say go for it.

Oh yea if u think u wont be confident enuf to go it in public ur mindset totally changes after amrit sanchar >>i never notice ppl staring at me plus i dont care but be4 amrit sanchar i was so scared like how am i gonn pull this off lol but do ardas to guru ji everyday to bless u with amrit and the strength to tie a dastar and represent it :TH:

When entering your Amrit Sanchar, and all the time after you take Amrit, your Jurra must be on the top of your head at the Dasam Duar, not at the back like a Bandana/Patka. So a Dastar is a must after Amrit, Patka simply just isn't acceptable!

hearye.gif

Fateh.

are you guys kidding me?? who judges what is acceptable or not....you could wear a dastaar and act completely inappropriately. Theres a few Singhnia i know that have worn the Dastaar but several years down the line have taken it off...comments like this which state that patka is unacceptable arent helpful at all.

I dont mean to offend, just my opinion.

When entering your Amrit Sanchar, and all the time after you take Amrit, your Jurra must be on the top of your head at the Dasam Duar, not at the back like a Bandana/Patka. So a Dastar is a must after Amrit, Patka simply just isn't acceptable!

hearye.gif

actaully i have ssen amrit sanchaars where bibia wear pataks and also dastaar, so i think u dnt know what you talking about. however i do agree that biba should wear dastaar but thats there own personal option and cannot be forced. read my signature and you will understand the basic rehit

calm down...Your right I don't know what am talking about. Personally I don't believe in patkas - BEFORE YOU HAVE A STRESS - notice i said PERSONALLY - you can class this as my weakness I don't mind. Don't patronise me with "read my signature and you will understand the basic Reyath" - I know what Reyath I try to follow. When I say I don't believe in patkas I don't mean 'you can't wear one' - my mom wears one so that aint even logical my meaning is AFTER you take Amrith you should try and wear a Dasthaar becuase if you look back on history ALL Bibi'yah used to have Dasthaars no Sikh female wore a patka....DEAR GOD NO ONE GET OFFENDED - am only learning myself so dnt pull a stunt.

vjkk vjkf!

nice reply :wub:

you sound like me ji.. i was like that at first! ... then nxt thing i know maharajs placed his hand on my head! and blessed me with a dastar!!! .... and trust me IT WILL BE THE BEST THING EVER! ... and i didnt even tell my parents i was going to wear a dastar... and they were fine with it, if i told them i was going to they wud have FLIPPED!

i say wearing dastar even a little one is better.. than starting off with a patka , cus u may not want to wear dastar... or parents will be like no wear patka!

its up to you .. but as an amritdhari fullstop shud be wearing dastar.... LIKE PITA JI DID!!! represent out there huna.. be proud of youre sikhi and show everyone the roop of the khalsa!

do ardas ji and take hukmnama guru ji will tell you everything

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh