Patka/dastaar

Guest soon to be kaur

hmmmm.

Personally I do not think it is compulsary to wear a dastaar after you take amrit. I do think it looks better, but that is my personal opinion.

Also sometimes I think we forget the point of being a gursikh. It is very important to 'look' like a gursikh (5'ks, keski, dastaar, maybe bana if you like) however what about within??? Its all well and good to look good on the outside and 'look' like a chardikala gursikh, but whats the point if you are melee (dirty) inside, have ahankar etc. Bascially I am not saying it is not important to look like a gursikh, just that it is equally as important to work on our jeevan - our 'inside'. Let's encourage this, when we do our outside appearance naturally changes. Some people prefer the other way, but maharaj himself states that working wihtin is the hardest of all and it is sooooooo important to work on this rather than dwell on outside appearance.

Before people start to rip the c*** put of me, when i mean outward appearance - having uncut hair, 5 ks, wearing modest clothes is a must must in sikhi, as well as covering your head. I am talking more about wearing a dastaar and bana.

Either way someone is bound to agree or disagree with me. However this is only my humble opinion.

If you are unable to overcome the relatively easy outer fight of tying a Dastaar, the single most unique and identifiable symbol of a Sikh, then the likelihood is that you will never be able to overcome the far more difficult inner fight with ego and the mind.

Guest Akirtghan
dastaar sholdn't be that high either rolleyes.gif

who made you the dastar police :wub: ?

Whats wrong with a high dastaar? I'm actually curious to know your reasoning. Some rehatnaamae specifically say tie a high dastaar.

if its so high that its lopsided then rolleyes.gif keep the practicality aspect in mind

hmmmm.

Personally I do not think it is compulsary to wear a dastaar after you take amrit. I do think it looks better, but that is my personal opinion.

Also sometimes I think we forget the point of being a gursikh. It is very important to 'look' like a gursikh (5'ks, keski, dastaar, maybe bana if you like) however what about within??? Its all well and good to look good on the outside and 'look' like a chardikala gursikh, but whats the point if you are melee (dirty) inside, have ahankar etc. Bascially I am not saying it is not important to look like a gursikh, just that it is equally as important to work on our jeevan - our 'inside'. Let's encourage this, when we do our outside appearance naturally changes. Some people prefer the other way, but maharaj himself states that working wihtin is the hardest of all and it is sooooooo important to work on this rather than dwell on outside appearance.

Before people start to rip the c*** put of me, when i mean outward appearance - having uncut hair, 5 ks, wearing modest clothes is a must must in sikhi, as well as covering your head. I am talking more about wearing a dastaar and bana.

Either way someone is bound to agree or disagree with me. However this is only my humble opinion.

nice answer! :wub:

Guest _learner_

talking about dastaars :wub:

im jus wondering how you guys cover the top part of your dastaar

do you guys cover it first n the start tying the rest

or do u tie it, cover it n then finish tying it ??

all answers are greatly appreciated :D

To the guest that commented that dastaar being easy to wear etc (i dont know how to quote like you did )

If you read my post it does state that I did not say the outward apearance was not imprtant. I am not saying dastaar is not easy to wear but i do not think thats an indication of being able to fight your inner demons. If i can wear a dastaar, it does not neccasarily mean I am able to overcome the difficult fight in my mind.

talking about dastaars :wub:

im jus wondering how you guys cover the top part of your dastaar

do you guys cover it first n the start tying the rest

or do u tie it, cover it n then finish tying it ??

all answers are greatly appreciated :wub:

You use the end of the Dasthaar to cover the top before you start wrapping....erm... grin.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> l <<<< that bit goes over the top of your head

_______________________l

I dunno if that made sense or not... rolleyes.gif

p.s. yeh i love the diagram too :D :)

p.s. oh yeh u got have one layer material underneath before ur Dasthaar