Non Sikh Wearing Kara

Guest Harbhajan Kaur

Guest Akirtghan

kara only has a meaning to a sikh, if you aren't a sikh, its just a bangle then. and the lady understands that, so i see no harm in wearing one. it wouldn't be offensive to me at all because unless you are a baptised sikh, its really not a kara :wub:

Its quite stoopid really though - its our Sangaths fault for allowing Kar'eh to be sold at shops etc as if their ANY OLD ITEM - no wonder Muslims and Hindus go about wearin them - a Kara has more meaning to it that than just a "steel bangle".

The thread- starter says that they are non-Sikh- and do NOT plan on being baptized - then WHY ARE YOU PLANNIN ON WEARIN ONE???! Just becuase you do Kundalini Yoga doesnt mean that you have the right to go abot wearin a Kakaar.

^^ I sound really in-your-face there lol am not being moody about the situation but I don't think you should wear one - you got no reason to wear one. I understand that you have read into this Religion and the spiritual meaning of the Kara but why just wear it about - it aint a fashion-item.#

I also get the feeling that MOST other faithed people wear a Kara or want a Kara becuase they see a Kara like they see that 'budda' u know the laughin budda that people keep in their house...messed up

to be honest shops dnt usually sell sarbloh karas, what they sell they promote as kareh but are in fact just bangles! theres a millions of non-sikhs who respect sikhi and believe in different parts of it such as the circle of life represented by the kara, the bhenji is not offending any1 by wearing it and it seems like shes getting interested in the religion, who are we then to say she cant?!

bhul chuk maf :wub:

Its quite stoopid really though - its our Sangaths fault for allowing Kar'eh to be sold at shops etc as if their ANY OLD ITEM - no wonder Muslims and Hindus go about wearin them - a Kara has more meaning to it that than just a "steel bangle".

The thread- starter says that they are non-Sikh- and do NOT plan on being baptized - then WHY ARE YOU PLANNIN ON WEARIN ONE???! Just becuase you do Kundalini Yoga doesnt mean that you have the right to go abot wearin a Kakaar.

^^ I sound really in-your-face there lol am not being moody about the situation but I don't think you should wear one - you got no reason to wear one. I understand that you have read into this Religion and the spiritual meaning of the Kara but why just wear it about - it aint a fashion-item.#

I also get the feeling that MOST other faithed people wear a Kara or want a Kara becuase they see a Kara like they see that 'budda' u know the laughin budda that people keep in their house...messed up

to be honest shops dnt usually sell sarbloh karas, what they sell they promote as kareh but are in fact just bangles! theres a millions of non-sikhs who respect sikhi and believe in different parts of it such as the circle of life represented by the kara, the bhenji is not offending any1 by wearing it and it seems like shes getting interested in the religion, who are we then to say she cant?!

bhul chuk maf :D

okay i understand that but what am sayin is that when and IF she does wear a Kara, and she's standing their people gona be like "wow what is that" you know you get people asking like what is it? I don't want this person to go about wearin it as something to get attention (I know thats not the reason so scuse me :wub: )but when people see someone else wearin something different to them, they want to wear it too. Like I said before, the whole laughin budda thing is the same thing, you see that loads of people keep them in their houses especially ghor'eh - they think its brings "luck" or wuteva - I bet the MAJORITY of Buddists..or is it Hindus? I duno which one but who ever it relates to would probably find it offensive.

Personally, am offended by people who wear OTHER Religious items, point is why pick at a religion on the bits that you find easy or more flexible to follow? Why just take the Kara and be like "Yeah I get the Spiritual meaning of it - i'll wear it permanant" You cant pick and mix with a Religion.

So overally, I don't accept people wearing a Kara or any other Religious article that they don't REALLY follow - stick to your own.

Guest KARA FREAK
I would say its okay to wear kara in your case :wub: but some precautions to take before wearing one... No alcohol, no smoking etc..
i think you should go for it

one of the things the kara repesents is that its a circle which describes God as it has no beginning or end

But one thing to remeber is that the kara also reminds you that your not suppose to do anything bad with these hands that God has gaven you

Thats essentially few things a amritdhari is supposed to do....and she mentioned that she is NOT going to take amrit.

Also, KARA was here ages before sikhism. ANYBDY can wear it. I know it has some special meaning in sikhi....but that doest mean it belongs ONLY to sikhs......OPEN YOUR MIND singho.

kara only has a meaning to a sikh, if you aren't a sikh, its just a bangle then. and the lady understands that, so i see no harm in wearing one. it wouldn't be offensive to me at all because unless you are a baptised sikh, its really not a kara :D

That makes some sense....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest _jatt_

i agree, everyone has the right to wear a kara. I think of it this way for a sikh. With the 5 K's, the more you have the better it is. Just because we might not be at the same level, by wearing a kara you a taking a step up. lol if u get what i mean.

i agree, everyone has the right to wear a kara. I think of it this way for a sikh. With the 5 K's, the more you have the better it is. Just because we might not be at the same level, by wearing a kara you a taking a step up. lol if u get what i mean.

My dear friend it is not things you should go on collecting. There is nothing except bani.

having kesh and not reciting bani is also useless.

Sikh is one who recites bani daily, without bani whether you wear kara or Not, you are not sikh.

Bani changes a Human to sikh. kara doesnt.

There is nothing except bani, bani is the only Truth. 5 K without reciting bani are useless.

So if you want to come closer to sikhi start to listen to some bani. Just start to say Vaheguru when you crosses a day, As doing so will slowly start love for Sikhi and Hence Akal.

Nanak naam jhaaj hai, Chadhe so utere Paar||

• 1 year later...
Guest AreYouSerious?

The kara reminds us to always remember god in all that we do....how is it wrong for a non-Sikh to wear a kara if it will help them remember god in all they do? Sikhism is such an open, inviting religion, and you aren't doing anything to help people see that. who knows, this may be the first step in her journey to actually take amrit. She may not be prepared now but it could to that. Way to welcome people into sikhi. sikhi isn't about what you wear, its how you live your life.

random singhni/s1ngh. what the hell are u on about???

of course it is not ok. its a kakkar a religious symbol to be worn by sikhs. it was given to sikhs bu guru gobind singh to help them maintain self discipline. it wasnt designed for people who like to do yoga. bloody hell man. if i ever met a non sikh wearing a kara id take it off them straight away!!!

wud it be ok a random person wearing a kirpan ..........no then why is it diff its its a kara. u people need to sort urselves out

of course it is not ok. its a kakkar a religious symbol to be worn by sikhs. it was given to sikhs bu guru gobind singh to help them maintain self discipline. it wasnt designed for people who like to do yoga. bloody hell man. if i ever met a non sikh wearing a kara id take it off them straight away!!!

wud it be ok a random person wearing a kirpan ..........no then why is it diff its its a kara. u people need to sort urselves out

I disagree.

The Kara in simple terms is an iron bracelet. Braclets have been used in many cultures across the world.

Kirpan is the name given to the type of shaster that is carried by Sikhs. But I know of patthans (muslims), who carry shaster with them, just like a kakkar.

You can't say that 1 particular kakkar is only for Sikhs, as described, other cultures do require to wear bracelets, shaster etc, but you can say that the 5 kakkar that are worn together is a unique identity for a Sikh. If that makes sense!

Just my personal opinion.

I think its perfectly acceptable for the original poster to wear a karra. She believes in Sikhi but is not baptized. Well I believe in Sikhi but I haven't taken amrit either, should I remove my karra? Although I've been brought up as a Sikh from childhood but that doesn't make me any different from the OP does it? :)