Non Sikh Wearing Kara

Guest Harbhajan Kaur

I am a Sikh and I attend University in India. I recently saw a classmate wearing a kara, he is a Guju Hindu. And right infront of me another classmate had asked what he was wearing. The Guju Hindu replied,Oh its a kara." To which the other said,"I thought that was for Sikhs only." His answer to this was "Oh anyone can wear it." In my opinion this is wrong. We shouldn't let something given to us by Guru Gobind Singh Ji be merely seen as an accessory/fashion object and be easily accessible to others.

I am a Sikh and I attend University in India. I recently saw a classmate wearing a kara, he is a Guju Hindu. And right infront of me another classmate had asked what he was wearing. The Guju Hindu replied,Oh its a kara." To which the other said,"I thought that was for Sikhs only." His answer to this was "Oh anyone can wear it." In my opinion this is wrong. We shouldn't let something given to us by Guru Gobind Singh Ji be merely seen as an accessory/fashion object and be easily accessible to others.

Did you say that to those 2 ?

• 3 months later...
Guest Hardeep Singh

It is all idiotic of people who carry negative thoughts and separate all religions and such low thinking results downfall if our concious and in the face of our world. Fanatisim is not required by our faith and it is abolished and yet till occurs and Cast/ creed still exist. Why do we always need a topic to say no and yes to people let some on do why they want and if you cannot say anything good atleast don't say negative things and let the almighty be the judge of good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I am a baptized European Christ, but to be honest not really religious. I'm wearing a Kara wich was presented to me by a Sikh which I met some weeks ago, when I've visited India, which was my first time (and definitely not my last). For farewell I gave him my necklace, which he liked, and he gave my his Kara, which I felt was a big honor.

I'm wearing it, since then every day, not for religious purpose but as a memory of a friend far away. Back home I wanted to know what a Kara is and what it stands for (what tooks me to this page as well). I really like the symbolism of beeing remined not to do something bad with your hands and the endless closeness with your creator (no matter how you call him/her...). So my personal symbolism for this bracelet grows.

My Kara helped to bring two men with two different cultures closer together in friendship and increased my interest in other religions. Can that be wrong?

it is a bangle/braclet and not a kara (a kakkar or one of the five k's) unless you have been baptised as a sikh and keep rehat along with the other 4 k's and only then does it becomes a kara, a gift from Guru Gobind Singh ji when you become his son or daughter, untill then it is a piece of metal, if someone offered you a pure gold bracelet in exchange for yours , most of you would not hesitate to exchange , but a baptised sikh would not ever consider parting with any of his 5 k's for all the wealth in the world and would rather die. So wear them by all means but do not consider them a kara or a sikh item.

• 4 weeks later...

Its quite stoopid really though - its our Sangaths fault for allowing Kar'eh to be sold at shops etc as if their ANY OLD ITEM - no wonder Muslims and Hindus go about wearin them - a Kara has more meaning to it that than just a "steel bangle".

The thread- starter says that they are non-Sikh- and do NOT plan on being baptized - then WHY ARE YOU PLANNIN ON WEARIN ONE???! Just becuase you do Kundalini Yoga doesnt mean that you have the right to go abot wearin a Kakaar.

^^ I sound really in-your-face there lol am not being moody about the situation but I don't think you should wear one - you got no reason to wear one. I understand that you have read into this Religion and the spiritual meaning of the Kara but why just wear it about - it aint a fashion-item.#

I also get the feeling that MOST other faithed people wear a Kara or want a Kara becuase they see a Kara like they see that 'budda' u know the laughin budda that people keep in their house...messed up

Well on the same lines I yesterday went to gurudwara sahib. While coming out, I saw a guy selling sikhi stuff (karas, silai, patke etc) as they generally do. The seller was a sikh, and was showing a kirpan to a hindu guy. That made me wonder if it is OK for non sikhs to keep kirpaans???

Well on the same lines I yesterday went to gurudwara sahib. While coming out, I saw a guy selling sikhi stuff (karas, silai, patke etc) as they generally do. The seller was a sikh, and was showing a kirpan to a hindu guy. That made me wonder if it is OK for non sikhs to keep kirpaans???

Like Sat veera said, It's only a bracelet a piece of jewellery. Do we really as Sikhs care if they wear a barclet? No.

As for keeping the Kirpan, you going completely of the topic. Even Saaj Dhari Sikhis dont wear the Kirpan till you have taken Amrit and fully present yourself as a Sikh.

Otherwise you'll be arrested for caring an offensive weapon.

Interestingly, some Muslims justify the reason to be armed in times of Jihad. Muslims will be very clear about it as it states in the Qur'an.

• 5 months later...
Guest Randeep Singh

I don´t think non-Sikhs should not wear a Kara. I'm also very much into Kundalini Yoga and Sikhism (but I'm not a Sikh) and I wear one. If you feel the time to wear it has come, go for it! It seems you know the importance and transcendence of it and you're not doing it for the sake of a temporary fashion. My Sikh friends are happy and honoured that I wear one... In fact, it was given to me by one of them.