"panthic Maryada"

okay... that bein said... what is it? is there a hard copy somewhere?

also to ur other comment "they are not followed by majority of the panth"... so then what does majority of the panth follow? how many "sikhs" actually follow Sikhi to begin wit? not very many, in my opinion...

tha's what i'm sayin.. we all say 'akaal takht maryada' this and that... buh can u provide me with a copy of it? wha exactly does it state?

The "Akal Takht Maryada" or "Panthic Maryada" is written...I don't think its available online or anything like that, even though it should be...

Some points in there are such things as the Shortened Chaupai Sahib in Rehraas Sahib, and proper way to take a Hukam Nama and from what side (left or right)...etc.

Dastars are required....they are always in any maryada you read.

If you meant Dastar as opposed to a "Pag" then the Maryada is that the last laar is not allowed to be tucked in from behind....(meaning that little bit that you leave at the beginnning...)

That's some of the points that I know of about our Panthic Maryada...but there definitely needs to be only one. Meaning same length of banis read everyday (Chaupais and Swaiyais), etc.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any way to get a copy?

personally.. i won't jus go by hearsay.. i'd rather see it for myself...

Here's a website I found on the "Official" Maryada. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find it...

http://www.sikhlionz.com/rehatmaryada.htm

Its copy pasted straight out of somewhere so if you ask the webmaster or something you may get the actual sources...hope this helps.

is there any way to get a copy?

personally.. i won't jus go by hearsay.. i'd rather see it for myself...

I'm reposting this...so I'm not sure if you will see it twice (Im new on this forum)

Anyways heres a website I found : http://www.sikhlionz.com/rehatmaryada.htm

You can ask the webmaster where he got his sources from, as the whole thing seems to be copy pasted out of somewhere else. Anyways I hope this helps.

This is just my opnion and view, shouldnt be taken as gospel truth.

I think we have five takths for reason, I think all five takths maryada are valid, any of five takths maryada should be treated as Utam Khalsa Gurmat Maryada in case of gurmata, sarbat khalsa meeting and anything which needs to be done on panthic level should be done under any of five takths maryada.

Leaving all maryada of samparda or jatha they belong to an aside in case of gurmatta, sarbat khalsa or anything that needs to be done on panthic level because maryada of samparda or jatha is for different purpose what i meant by different purpose is personal life/empowerment/journey towards Vahiguroo.

I understand there are some differences on maryada within takths, that is quite acceptable for puratan sikhs, i dont know why new age sikhs cannot stand the diversity in the maryada's. The very fact, there is soo much diversity in bhai dya singh ji rehitnama proves that sikhi is not black and white as shariapanthis like to beleive.

Bhai dya singh ji in his rehitnama stated that its quite alright for khalsa to do seva in the panth and adapt lifestyle/diet of either- rajoguni(gristhi sikh-life of an householder), tamoguni(fearless warriors-nihangs) or satoguni(sadhu leaving as virakat/celibate/nirmal/sevapanthi sant mandali). and here we are fighting over petty issues like meat, outer apperance, kakars...get over it guys, stop fightin like kids. If sikhi was that black/white, there was no need for great vidvaans/bhramgyani mahapursh, any tom , di ck, harry would decipher it. try to do some khoj, when you try to do khoj leave your tat khalsa mat behind, before questioning it try to understand the theological framework and its context.

I don't think anyone was fighting Namstang...Heera Singh had a valid question which some ppl (including myself) tried to answer, I don't see any conflict or how we are "fightin like kids".

Anyways I must be the newage Sikh you speak of too...I disagree with you on the differences in Sikh Maryada...in my opinion there should be one maryada that the whole panth should follow. I see too many problems that have arisen from different maryadas being followed by diff ppl.

Here a few that I know from the top of my head:

-A major example would be Takht Hazoor Sahib. Where the Gianis do Aarthi to the photos of the Gurus in the presence of Guru Gobind Singh...not only is this disrespectful to Guru Ji, but it (Aarthi and worshipping of Pictures and statues) is against Sikhi. So then tell me, seeing such an example from one of our Takhts, how can Akal Takht allow this to happen?

-A second example which is more of a problem in Canada is the use of Chairs in Gurudwaras...especially in the West Coast there are now numerous Gurudwaras that allow Chairs into the langar hall....also against the teachings of our Gurus.

-Even the Nitnem we do in the morning has not been synchronised with our fellow Sikhs...Some do long Chaupai Sahib, Swaiyay, and Anandpur Sahib...while others (under the Guidance of theire Panj Pyareys at the time of Amrit Sanchar) do the shortened versions...how is this right? These are the reasons why Akal Takht was born...it is the primary seat of Sikh religious authority and central altar for the Sikh political assembly.

I have much respect for your previous posts and am in the process of reading your posts of JapJi Sahib which has given me much knowledge...HOWEVER I do not appreciate your arrogance on this subject, you have not given much of an answer to Heera Singh's question (which was a valid one) and instead brought some unwanted negativity into the topic.

Bhul Chuk Di Mafi

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

A major example would be Takht Hazoor Sahib. Where the Gianis do Aarthi to the photos of the Gurus in the presence of Guru Gobind Singh...not only is this disrespectful to Guru Ji, but it (Aarthi and worshipping of Pictures and statues) is against Sikhi. So then tell me, seeing such an example from one of our Takhts, how can Akal Takht allow this to happen?

This is complete lie, gianis do arti of sri guru granth sahib, sri dasam granth sahib and maharaj's shastar not pictures, you should check your facts before throwing such bold statements. I have full rehras sahib from sri hazoor sahib, i didnt see them doing arti of pictures but sri guru granth sahib ji and sri dasam granth sahib and maharaj's shastar. In case you forgot, doing arti of maharaj is always been tradition, back in the time people used to do arti of all the guru's if you read the hazoor sahib maryada, its derived from there, since guruship was given to sri guru granth sahib ji, singhs do arti of gurbani, this is no where to be seen as idol worship, its form of respect given to guru maharaj as king of kings, an ignorant banda can equally argue that bowing down to sri guru granth sahib ji is idol worship, but once you explained them the tradition that we are not merely bowing to the what it appears to be a book to you, but we bowing down to the gyan inside sri guru granth sahib, same thing applies, singhs from hazoor sahib when they do arti of guru sahib they are not idol worshipping but paying respect to guru maharaj in form of doing arti.

http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.html

Firstly here's the official Rehat Maryada by the SGPC...

And for Namstang...I am perfectly aware of what I write...you can watch the daily Rehraas Sahib on Aastha Channel on ATV which is broadcasted live from Takhat Hazoor Sahib. You can see the Gianis do Aastha to Guru Granth Sahib first and then go to the big picture of Guru Gobind Singh and then do aastha there...not only was a platter containing the lighted lamps waved in front of Guru Granth Sahib and the photo of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, but after doing that, the 'Poojari' of the Takht takes the platter around for the Sangat to do what Hindus do in these rituals - they take their hands upto the flame, and then wipe their face, eyes, head with the hands.

I have family and friends who have also personally gone to the Takht and seen this with their own eyes....but whatever forget it, I don't understand why we started this conflict. All I want is a mature conversation, instead you chose to reply to some of my points but completely ignored my other posts and my main point.

WJKK WJKF

^^.... bro, tha's SGPC maryada.... tha's nah akaal takht maryada... SGPC and Akaal Takht are 2 different entitites... please refer to my first few posts... i kno of SGPC maryada... buh i want to kno if there's an actual AKAAL TAKHT maryada for the 'panth'... which wud be considered as 'panthic maryada'...