Is Keeping Hair/ Turban Essential As A Sikh?

WAHEGURUJIKAKHALSAWAHEGURUJIKEFATEH.

Just one more thought:

Without meditation upon waheguru Ji , both concepts are meaningless in SGGS philosophy. Without meditation what purpose does long hair servre? Without meditation what purpose does a shaved head serve? Without meditation both will leave the world empty handed.

Please also note that Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji says that "A person who keeps unshorn hair without taking Pauhal(Amrit) is an imposter and as such will not receive darshan".

Regards.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one more thought:

Without meditation upon waheguru Ji , both concepts are meaningless in SGGS philosophy. Without meditation what purpose does long hair servre? Without meditation what purpose does a shaved head serve? Without meditation both will leave the world empty handed.

Please also note that Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji says that "A person who keeps unshorn hair without taking Pauhal(Amrit) is an imposter and as such will not receive darshan".

Regards.

Where has Guru Gobind Singh Ji said this? I don't think Guru Ji have said this. I keep my hair and a beard too but I don't see myself taking amrit for a very long time, possibly not even in this lifetime. Does this mean i should cut my hair?

I doubt it.

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that a Sikh With Kesh but who has not taken pauhal(Amrit) is an imposter and a paapi(sinner). This is written in Sri Gurpratap suraj Granth by Kavee Santokh Singh. There is a chapter under the heading of "Kesh". Most Gurdwara Sahibs will have this granth , and as such , can be viewed by any member of the sangat. Please note that this Granth uses Brijj bhasha(Languauge) but the words are written in Gurmukhi. Brijj bhasha is quite difficult to uderstand without taking santhyaa(lessons) but fortunately Dr.Ajit Singh Aulakh has done all the hard work for us by completing a line by line simple Punjabi translation. Dr.Aulakh has completed the entire Granth in eleven volumes. The said quote can be found in volume 10. Many book shops in India do supply this Granth but in particular the Publishers Chattar Singh Jeevan singh in Amritsar are the largest.

I can also scan and attach the relevant page to this thread but I am not aware of how to attach a scanned file.

I would humbly beg my brothers and sisters to refrain from cutting their hair but at the same time I would humbly request them to take Pauhal(Amrit).

Mokham Singh.

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that a Sikh With Kesh but who has not taken pauhal(Amrit) is an imposter and a paapi(sinner). This is written in Sri Gurpratap suraj Granth by Kavee Santokh Singh. There is a chapter under the heading of "Kesh". Most Gurdwara Sahibs will have this granth , and as such , can be viewed by any member of the sangat. Please note that this Granth uses Brijj bhasha(Languauge) but the words are written in Gurmukhi. Brijj bhasha is quite difficult to uderstand without taking santhyaa(lessons) but fortunately Dr.Ajit Singh Aulakh has done all the hard work for us by completing a line by line simple Punjabi translation. Dr.Aulakh has completed the entire Granth in eleven volumes. The said quote can be found in volume 10. Many book shops in India do supply this Granth but in particular the Publishers Chattar Singh Jeevan singh in Amritsar are the largest.

I can also scan and attach the relevant page to this thread but I am not aware of how to attach a scanned file.

I would humbly beg my brothers and sisters to refrain from cutting their hair but at the same time I would humbly request them to take Pauhal(Amrit).

Mokham Singh.

There is alot of controversy about Kavee Santokh Singhs writings. For example, the burning of the masands in boiling oil. Alot of people believe what has been written in that granth is an exageration or aimed at discrediting sikhi and the gurus. For example, I read somewhere that Kavee Santokh singh had strong inclinations to hindusim and apparently he writes that Guruji was a devotee of the goddess and received the Khanda from her and instructions to create Khalsa. What has been written in that granth should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I believe Guru Gobind Singh Ji never said the thing about darshan and kesh.

Sant Mani Singh Ji said the same to Baba Puran Singh Ji - that until you take Amrit, you are 'adhoora' - not 'GUru wala'. Makes sense because Amrit is the beginning, the acceptance of Guru Ji as your Guru and your confirmation of dedication to follow the teachings of your Guru from that day on.

Of course, we all progress at different speeds, and Guru Ji takes care of everyone regardless.

Guru Ji has said in Sri Dasam Granth that He will not give darshan to anyone without Kesh or Shastar.

A sikh is one who believes amrit is part of life, regardless of where that person is in life themselves.

In debate our ego challenges the messengers ego. Our concern should not about what the ‘poster’ or messenger in the post above thinks. Our concern should be each of our personal relationships with the message of sikhi. We all have commitments to make to call ourselves sikh, for some it is blatantly obvious, others less obvious.

We should defer our egos to the message of sikhi, always striving to a commitment and better understanding of the message. That means if I am mona, I carry myself very carefully and humbly clarify when necessary, so I don't erode the sikh identity with my ego. If I am keshdhari, I take even more care not to erode the sikh identity with my ego, and in either case do not let my personal ego suggest that sikhi is anything less than Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s command. If I am amritdhari, I am not faultless and I have my own personal mountain to climb.

If a person finds it a challenge ( I believe that’s what ks is suggesting) to take amrit, it is different from someone saying “I will not be amritdhari in my lifetime”, the latter person may be a good spiritual person and a good human being, but any claim to ‘sikhi’ is one of ego and caste and they must take care not to have their ego erode and insult our Guruji.

Buddasingh I find it a bit difficult to understand what you were implying in your last paragraph but let me just clarify my stance anyway to yourself and maybe others.

I am in know way against amrit and I don't believe it is unneccessary. All I was saying in this post is that I keep long hair as i realise its spritual significance and importance. I was only replying to one of the posters comments which implied there is no point keeping hair unless you have taken amrit. This I disagree with and was forced to reply to.

I am all for amrit but consider myself too spirtually unevolved to take it at the moment. I will try to work on my spirituality during the course of my lifetime and if I reach a level where I can do justice to the taking of amrit, I will be honoured to take it.

There are some accounts of Gur Ithihas(history) in Sri Gurpratap Suraj Granth which do not correlate to the Sidanth(core message) of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. The deviation of these points is not due to kavee Ji's short comings but is rather due to the fact that his publishers were of Hindu background and as such a few adulterations came into being. Upon reading the whole Granth it can be clearly seen that kavee Ji has the utmost sharda in all of the Guru Sahiban. Upon reading the Brahm Gyan chapters it is extremely clear that kavee Ji's avastha (spirituality) was very high and these controversial points could not have been the thoughts of kavee Ji himself.

Please note that I am not against any Keshdhari person. Whenever I see a Keshdari person my heart fills with joy to see someone who is on the path of Guru Ji's Sikhi.

I have personally benefitted a great deal by adopting Guru Ji's teachings and as such I would love to see a better quality of life for everybody else too.

If my remarks have offended anybody then I hereby apologise profusely. I have just attempted to share what I believe can bring about Kalyaan(liberation) in life.

Mokham Singh.

Buddasingh I find it a bit difficult to understand what you were implying in your last paragraph but let me just clarify my stance anyway to yourself and maybe others.

I am in know way against amrit and I don't believe it is unneccessary. All I was saying in this post is that I keep long hair as i realise its spritual significance and importance. I was only replying to one of the posters comments which implied there is no point keeping hair unless you have taken amrit. This I disagree with and was forced to reply to.

I am all for amrit but consider myself too spirtually unevolved to take it at the moment. I will try to work on my spirituality during the course of my lifetime and if I reach a level where I can do justice to the taking of amrit, I will be honoured to take it.

Sorry Kalsingh and respect to you bro. I was supporting you in saying that I did not think: you said you wrote off amrit, ie. you find it a challenge like many. You've explained it nicely. I too will be working on my spirituality. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote from the Granth Sahib, which seems to say hair is NOT important??

"kabeer preeti ik siau keey aan dubhidhaa jaai; bhaavey laambe kes karu bhaavey gharari mundaai"

(Kabir, when you are in love with the One God, duality and alienation depart.

You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald.)

-- KABIR Source: Adi Granth, p. 1365

This was answer by Bhagat Kabir ji to jogis( who keep their heir uncut and unwashed for life long)

and Sanyasis (who always keep their head Ganja.) But as far as teachings for Sikhs is concerned

Guru Granth sahib teaches us:-

"SABAT SOORAT DASTAAR SIRA"