Do You Judge People By Their Pagh/dastaar?

SardarDholi

Its not the turban that makes the man/woman, its the man/woman who makes the turban :nihungsmile:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do You Jugde People By Their Pagh/Dastaar?

Peace n Love

Why would you do this SardarDholi? You have just made this story up and you know that too. When you get time think about this and ask yourself, what were your intentions when you started this thread??

Its not the turban that makes the man/woman, its the man/woman who makes the turban :nihungsmile:

The uniqueness of sikhi is that eventualy it works the other way. Ultimately the roop of the khalsa fashions the manner and belief of that man/woman, otherwise there would be no reason for Rehat.

Now it's up the individual to decide where the roop of the khalsa stops, in my view the roop extends further from simply wearing a pag. Each kakaar, each action, each reaction, the bana, all should have a profound influence on the bhagat isolating him/her from the average sansaris. If we dont isolate ourselves from the sansaris then we find ourselves attempting to hide more in the crowd by reducing the size of our dastar, tieing our beards, hiding our kakaars, toning down our reactions. In effect we now use our punjabi community to hide behind.

i personally attempt to disassociate myself from those specific group of men by adopting a dumalla and not a punjabi/kenyan style dastar. maybe i have met too many dodgy kenyan/punjabi pug wearing men in my life and have been scared for life. but hey, who knows i suppose the time will come when dummalla wearing man may let me down tommorrow too!! ;) ..

Rupinder Bhaji makes a lot of sense :) i am sure you'll help me with this lil problem i have.... parkash singh badal has a beard too. I don't want people to be thinking that i am like badal too, what should i dooooooo bhaji?

western world thinks dumalla is very similar to what osama wears, how do i cope with that bhaji??

The uniqueness of sikhi is that eventualy it works the other way. Ultimately the roop of the khalsa fashions the manner and belief of that man/woman, otherwise there would be no reason for Rehat.

Now it's up the individual to decide where the roop of the khalsa stops, in my view the roop extends further from simply wearing a pag. Each kakaar, each action, each reaction, the bana, all should have a profound influence on the bhagat isolating him/her from the average sansaris. If we dont isolate ourselves from the sansaris then we find ourselves attempting to hide more in the crowd by reducing the size of our dastar, tieing our beards, hiding our kakaars, toning down our reactions. In effect we now use our punjabi community to hide behind.

I was referred to this in the above post.

i personally attempt to disassociate myself from those specific group of men by adopting a dumalla and not a punjabi/kenyan style dastar. maybe i have met too many dodgy kenyan/punjabi pug wearing men in my life and have been scared for life. but hey, who knows i suppose the time will come when dummalla wearing man may let me down tommorrow too!! ;) ..

Rupinder Bhaji makes a lot of sense :) i am sure you'll help me with this lil problem i have.... parkash singh badal has a beard too. I don't want people to be thinking that i am like badal too, what should i dooooooo bhaji?

western world thinks dumalla is very similar to what osama wears, how do i cope with that bhaji??

Hmmm…let me see.... I would isolate myself from parkash badal vocally and visibly. As i have already mentioned I would adopt a dumalla or gol dastar, attempt to openly express my sikhi by attempting to wear a bana more often. I would basically look at him and all my boozy turban wearing relatives and ensure I am not one of them in action and in outer look!

In order to isolate myself from the osamas of this world, I would make more of an attempt to put myself out there and be more alert about my conduct, attitude and language. I would drop Sikhi in to as much of the conversations as I can, after all it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. To fight a generalization will be almost impossible but at least those few people that we get to interact with should be left with a positive and pleasant image of a Sikh. Think of it as our responsibility to be polite, courteous and helpful as well as informative about our beliefs and lifestyle. Every time you swear in public or act immaturely in public you are dragging your fellowship down with you. That’s the responsibility of maintaining the roop of the khalsa, we aint meant to be rude boyz or dancing dandy boyz!

^^ThkQ Bhaji. I am sure above things can be done even if you wear a diff. style dastaar.

These bibian from Punjab go out wearing suits and shout outta their lungs in public. I think apnia girls in the west should stop wearing suits too.

some people SERIOUSLY need to grow up here. if they were like 13 yr old kids, i'd understand but when grown up 25 yr olds put comments like that, my head goes down in shame. is this really the voice of sikh youth???? is this the future of sikhi ???

"o i wear a dumalla, i represent sikhi" rolleyes.gif

let me add something to this. whether sardar dholi has made this story up or not, is irrelevant. he has pointed out a very BIG and important issue that western youth face. i have seen it myself. you goto gurudwara straight from work, you are wearing pants, these so called "chardikala" youth dont even say fateh to you. the same person goes to gurudwara the next day in a kurta pajama or bana, they meet him with the biggest smile on their face .... those who do this, i'd like to say to you, you have not understood the very base essence of sikhi.

also, same deal happens to bibia that don't wear a dastaar......