Do You Judge People By Their Pagh/dastaar?

SardarDholi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me add something to this. whether sardar dholi has made this story up or not, is irrelevant. he has pointed out a very BIG and important issue that western youth face. i have seen it myself. you goto gurudwara straight from work, you are wearing pants, these so called "chardikala" youth dont even say fateh to you. the same person goes to gurudwara the next day in a kurta pajama or bana, they meet him with the biggest smile on their face .... those who do this, i'd like to say to you, you have not understood the very base essence of sikhi.

also, same deal happens to bibia that don't wear a dastaar......

sorry this quote is 8 lines long, i know we're only allowed 6 lines. sorry!! but its all important

that last line. major problem.

i remember the first time i wore a dastaar

had bibia saying fateh to me left right and centre.

without a dastaar was a totally different story.

i have no right to bring that up, but my point is

dont treat people like rubbish just because they are dastaar-less or wear a diff style of dastaar.

nobody likes to be looked down upon, thats not our place.

What a silly thread, this topic reminds of another topic posted by some members on tapoban , who get all worry and ask- oh shoot, did i just commit manmat by touching non sarbloh batta or did i just commit manmat accidently took kachera off from both legs while putting a dry kachera ?

anyway, question to all shariapanthis who think dumalla is the only way to wear guru ji's crown and all others style are manmat? sri dasam patsah gave updesh to warrior singhs, that warrior singh must read dumalla daie shaloks in sri dasam granth sahib while tying dumalla. do you guys do that? if not then you have no right to brag about oh assi dumalla ppoenda haa, other dastars style are lame.

Either you follow dastar maryada 100% either you dont depending on the life style- rajoguni, tamoguni, satoguni listed in bhai dya singh ji rehitnamsa, don't do half arse stuff/or pick and choose from maryada of whatever life style you are in within in the panth.

that last line. major problem.

i remember the first time i wore a dastaar

had bibia saying fateh to me left right and centre.

without a dastaar was a totally different story.

i have no right to bring that up, but my point is

dont treat people like rubbish just because they are dastaar-less or wear a diff style of dastaar.

nobody likes to be looked down upon, thats not our place.

Maybe your looking at it the wrong way. Maybe people that said fateh to you left, right, and center were acknowledging and encouraging your strength and pride to start tying dastar in sangat/society. I'm guessing if they consistently saw you with or without a dastar, they'd treat you the same way.

i cant believe the kinda responses ive just read man

SAME HERE!!!!!!!!

ohmy.gif

I've had experiences like that; where people have 'judged' me according to my african style pagh!!! oh and i don't starch it and wear it like a hat either!!

Wearing a dumaala does not make you a SANT nor wearing a African Style pagh make you into a JOKE!! :)

Rupinder Singh's comments of 'how he diassociates from a certain group of men by adopting a dumaala' are not helpful to say the least!!

Many great personalities, Sants and Mahapurash have worn an african style pagh or a style other than a Dumaala e.g Sant Baba Puran Singh Ji (Kericho Wale) and Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji!!!!!

what does this thread have in common with a bunch of schoolyard girls giggling and arguing over which latest hairstyle is the "in" thing to do..which one is lame....

what new outfits are hot this season, what colour mascara and whatnot......

THEY ARE ABOUT AS STUCK IN MAYA AS ARE ALL THE PEOPLE HERE WORRIED ABOUT WHICH STYLE OF DASTAAR TO WEAR....

one of the reasons guru sahib gave us our kes and dastaars was so that we would not be preoccupied with all of this maya...our kes and dastaar are ONLY important because it is from our guru....not to be made the topic of discussion regarding what style you wear...

i always laugh when i see a singh or kaur take an hour to do thier dastaar and unwrap it and retie it several times before they get the look that they want....all this to go to sangat and do simran...

and then the same people will turn around and get mad and point fingers to those girls that wear makeup...

it's the same thing...the size, the colour, the style of your dastar or mine for that matter, will NOT take the ever growing ego that is haunting our souls....only submission to guru's hukam, seva, simran, sangat...will do that...

This thread is very childish singhs who wear turbans have nothing but love for other singhs who wear turbans man........and the same goes for women who wear turbans.....we dont sit around bloody thinkin about weird topics like this man...people need to grow up!

i honestly would NOT be surprised if wha sardardholi said was tru... we see a lotta this 'discrimination' goin on within the sikh community... i've heard before 'oh that singh must be akj, look at his dastaar' or 'nah man.. he's taksali, he's wearin that style chola' etc.. etc..

those who believe this stuff doesn't happen and that 'singhs have nothing but love for other singhs' are in denial and aren't ready to face the facts... the fact is this sort of stuff DOES happen.. i hear it all the time, even within the youth... usually the type of dastaar a person wears or even the type of chola or whatever a person wears automatically puts them in a category, of either bein a part of a certain jattha, or bein a certain type of sikh or punjabi...

face it people... we're all human.. discrimination does happen.. and i completely agree wit jss veerji... we've turned the dastaar into a fashion symbol...

those who say that wearin certain type of pagh/dastar matters are too engulfed into the OUTSIDE image and don't realize that this sort of thinkin is takin u AWAY from sikhi n spirituality more then anythin... for example... even a saint like Bhai Jeevan Singh wears different types of dastaars... when i went to see him he was wearing a small keski... other times he's wearin a dumalla.. other times just a regular pagh... this is a saintly person who's beyond all the materialistic things...

the type of pagh/dastar DOES NOT MATTER... jus wear one that ur comfortable wit n call it a day!