Do You Judge People By Their Pagh/dastaar?

SardarDholi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, are we still on sikhsangat.com? for that matter, are we still on planet earth?

if someone doesn't talk to you or socialize with you, based on the style of your dastaar, just walk away and thank god you didn't waste your time with such a closed minded person.

serioulsy, this thread is right up there with the kachera length, kachera color, dastaar fabric etc etc threads. they should make a separate section for these threads called, the twilight zone.

peace.

What a silly thread, this topic reminds of another topic posted by some members on tapoban , who get all worry and ask- oh shoot, did i just commit manmat by touching non sarbloh batta or did i just commit manmat accidently took kachera off from both legs while putting a dry kachera ?

anyway, question to all shariapanthis who think dumalla is the only way to wear guru ji's crown and all others style are manmat? sri dasam patsah gave updesh to warrior singhs, that warrior singh must read dumalla daie shaloks in sri dasam granth sahib while tying dumalla. do you guys do that? if not then you have no right to brag about oh assi dumalla ppoenda haa, other dastars style are lame.

Either you follow dastar maryada 100% either you dont depending on the life style- rajoguni, tamoguni, satoguni listed in bhai dya singh ji rehitnamsa, don't do half arse stuff/or pick and choose from maryada of whatever life style you are in within in the panth.

Please brace yourself, this is a first, I agree with you!

I read an article once where the author wrote about the ways we Sikhs seek to divide ourselves further from each other. He wrote that the Gurus gave us a hundred reasons to be united and we have made up a thousands reasons to divide ourselves up. With each and every day we keeping thinking up new reasons to divide us from other Sikhs. Rupinder Singh's comments highlight the problem. He wants to disassociate himself from a person who wear one type of Pagh because he associates a certain behaviour with that type of person. This is stereotyping at its worst! Just because Badal wears a certain type of Pagh doesn't mean that everyone wearing that style of Pagh has similar behaviour. By making assumptions about a person even before you have got to know him just shows a closed mind. If a Gora or Gori said they avoided Sikhs because of all that propaganda about Air India then we would be up in arms shouting about Racism yet we are allowing a type of discrimination to be seen as ok as long as it's a Sikh avoiding another Sikh. Yes, some Sikhs may act disgracefully whilst wearing a Pagh but if you take Rupinder Singh's thought process to its logical conclusion then if a Sikh in a Domalla acts disgracefully, then he will need to start changing his style of Pagh again. How many style of Paghs does he have to choose from?

MKLQ is right, if someone who appears to be a Sikh discriminates against another Sikh just because of his style of Pagh then he should be thankful he didn't waste his time talking to a loser like that.

I agree with Rupinder Singh with the idea that if you present yourself as a gursikh, then you should be expected represent your guru.

I disagree with his idea that your dastar represents who you are or the degree of sikhi in your life. Some people are more comfortable tying different types of dastars. Dastars can also vary depending on where you're raised. Being raised in a certain area doesn't mean you're a better or worse gursikh than being raised in another area.

People who wear dastars and ruin the rep of the Sikhi shouldn't be wearing dastars. They aren't representing.

yep. agree with u that the style of dastar in theory should not effect the degree of your sikhi. but in reality the Sikh image has been ruined by turban wearing whiskey drinking punjabi men over the last 50 years or so. i personally attempt to disassociate myself from those specific group of men by adopting a dumalla and not a punjabi/kenyan style dastar. maybe i have met too many dodgy kenyan/punjabi pug wearing men in my life and have been scared for life. but hey, who knows i suppose the time will come when dummalla wearing man may let me down tommorrow too!! :)..

Do you know what Mr rupinder ji, I have also seen dumalla wearing sikhs smoking and in clubs, hows that repsonse to your steroetypical comments? They doing justice for our Guru arent they? NO! Does it really matter what style of pugh you have, as long as your hair is covered, your heart and mind is to the Guru and you treat it as a crown? I think you need a pint of lassi and chill!

There is a lesson to be learnt from the original poster, and I suggest you follow the lesson in detail.

No offense intended

some people SERIOUSLY need to grow up here. if they were like 13 yr old kids, i'd understand but when grown up 25 yr olds put comments like that, my head goes down in shame. is this really the voice of sikh youth???? is this the future of sikhi ???

"o i wear a dumalla, i represent sikhi" rolleyes.gif

let me add something to this. whether sardar dholi has made this story up or not, is irrelevant. he has pointed out a very BIG and important issue that western youth face. i have seen it myself. you goto gurudwara straight from work, you are wearing pants, these so called "chardikala" youth dont even say fateh to you. the same person goes to gurudwara the next day in a kurta pajama or bana, they meet him with the biggest smile on their face .... those who do this, i'd like to say to you, you have not understood the very base essence of sikhi.

also, same deal happens to bibia that don't wear a dastaar......

hmm

i think not wearing a dastaar, and wearing a diffrent type of dastar is 2 separate matters

every sikh should wear a dastaar

but whether its dumala, or whatever, is up to you

most of the kharkoos wore goll dastar, they wore other types as a diguise, i think a warrior needs a gool dastar, the others are romeo type lol., but u should judge people as it could be a kharkoo in disguise, u get me,lol. for that geeza selling things, he jus being stupid dough! u defo wasnt a paki, he knew that, so why not give u a kara. ehhm cos these days alot of pakis wear karas to attract sikh girls.

most of the kharkoos wore goll dastar, they wore other types as a diguise, i think a warrior needs a gool dastar, the others are romeo type lol., but u should judge people as it could be a kharkoo in disguise, u get me,lol. for that geeza selling things, he jus being stupid dough! u defo wasnt a paki, he knew that, so why not give u a kara. ehhm cos these days alot of pakis wear karas to attract sikh girls.

veereh seriouslys

der no need to call muslamaan "pakis" firstly dey ant all from pakistand

and secondly, do you RELLI tink our guroo ssahibs would approve and appericate of what your saying?

ur over judging a hole koum due a few bad "apples"

sikhi got loads of bad apples, would u prefer if we were judged upon them?..(eg KPS GILL) or rather on great gursikhs...too many to name!!!

so no point being racist in a way, and callin em "pakis", cuz das jus deep singhs wudnt like it if we were called "tukkans", lets not go to their level..

bhul chuk maaf

no offence intended bro...

vaheguroo ji ka khalsa

vaheguroo ji ke fateh

Do you know what Mr rupinder ji, I have also seen dumalla wearing sikhs smoking and in clubs, hows that repsonse to your steroetypical comments? They doing justice for our Guru arent they? NO! Does it really matter what style of pugh you have, as long as your hair is covered, your heart and mind is to the Guru and you treat it as a crown? I think you need a pint of lassi and chill!

There is a lesson to be learnt from the original poster, and I suggest you follow the lesson in detail.

No offense intended

veereh ill tel you a story my cuzin told me today

sikh soc singhs in his uni, kicked him out of the sikh soc beacuse he drinks etc etc, these same chardi kaala singhs representing our koum at that uni..were then weeks later caut by my cuzinz drinkin.. "alocohol all over his dhaari" < das wha he said..dat hurt..dey all moneh and im onli singh..and them sayin dat was dumb, dat just shows..if you gonna wear a certain type of dastaar live up to the expectaions or atleast try,

the nok is a typical punjabi phug...where as dumalla goal type of dastaar are seen as more "sikhified..militiant fied"

so to an extent you ARE judged upon ur dastaar in our koum (mainly the younger generation) older gen it diff cuz msot of the them were nok and are extremly chardi kaalaa hunna!

bhul chuk maaf!!

vaheguroo ji ka khalsa

vahrguroo ji ke fateh

Guest peacemaker

*Yawn* Some people just love to plant seeds and cause everyone to fight back and forth. I just sit here and laugh and I'm sure others are too. This isn't sikhi, but it is a load of bs, that's for sure. I tie something on my head, which I don't think twice about, but some people want to make an issue over it, it doesn't matter! If you ever said something negative to me or judged me by my dastaar, I would tell you to GET THE *BLANK* OUT OF MY FACE! That's it! No lecturing, none of that!

If you would keep YOUR messed up ideologies in that thing called a brain, we wouldn't have these issues. I'm on my damn knees begging you to cut the crap already!

veereh seriouslys

der no need to call muslamaan "pakis" firstly dey ant all from pakistand

and secondly, do you RELLI tink our guroo ssahibs would approve and appericate of what your saying?

ur over judging a hole koum due a few bad "apples"

sikhi got loads of bad apples, would u prefer if we were judged upon them?..(eg KPS GILL) or rather on great gursikhs...too many to name!!!

so no point being racist in a way, and callin em "pakis", cuz das jus deep singhs wudnt like it if we were called "tukkans", lets not go to their level..

bhul chuk maaf

no offence intended bro...

lolol i aint no racist, im referring to the bad apples, im calling them a paki, thats how i talk it jus a slang word, like when blck people call each other nigga. bro sticking up for muslim is one thing, but a paki is different they have nothing but bad intentions for u, no matter what ur level in sikhi is , or what style dastart u have, so people no matter what u do , if u got a bit of love for ur community lets just unite and get on wid thingz, cos all this , me u etc politcal correctness is bs, we need to fix up one time. guru ji called bad muslims turks, jus in 2007 its pakis. thats just the way it goes man, i aint gonna b nice to nex man who wishes evil for my community and relegion, its an eye for eye mentality when it come to people like that!!!!, cos they wud suck ur blood like a vampire if they get the chance, im sick of our people being too nice, theres a time for that. when u c pakis wid kara chatting up our women bash em up man. altough alot of people wear karas as weapons, so if u knw sumones a paki and wearing a kara and if they give fake name then bash em. or at least ask em to take it off.

vaheguroo ji ka khalsa

vaheguroo ji ke fateh