Hair

Guest Chandaramuki

Guest Chandaramuki

I was just wondering why we sikhs have to grow our hair and never cut it? I just find it odd and strange. No one wants to explain it to me. Hopefully you guys can help me out here and tell me about it. I have many more questions about our religion and because I don't live in a city with a vast sikh population I don't know who to ask. I did try asking my parents but they just don't have to time to sit down and explain it to me. Thank you very much for your time and effort into replying! I look forward to reading your replies and hopefully they will help answer my question and help me understand our wonderful religion a bit more.

:)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rimmel, I understand waht you are saying but maybe it goes a little deeper then just a default state of not cutting because we don't need to?

Guari Mahala 5 :

Those humble beings, with whom the beautifully-haired Lord is thoroughly pleased, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||4||

You are my mother, father, son and relative; You are the Support of the breath of life.

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, Nanak meditates on the Lord, and swims across the poisonous world-ocean.

AkalPurkh has long hair. "khoob tairee pagree mitthay tairay bole" and he wears a dastaar.

There is another shabad - when AkalPurkh is described as "Sonay nack attay lambaray waall " You have a beautiful nose and long hair.

As you know Guru Gobind Singh Ji describes AkalPurkh as "shastar dhari" so in many ways we are emulating His image - long hair, dastaar, shastar dhari and vidhia kay vichari.