Bandi Chor Divas "diwali"

Akaali

Bandi Chorr Diwas is an important event in the Sikh history. Guru Sahib secured the release of Hindu kings and had their kingdoms reestablished. I don’t find a similar example in the history anywhere else. Guru Sahib taught that everyone has the right to freedom and live their life as they wish. Guru Sahib did not try to convert them or establish his sovereignty over them nor did he try to make them his suzerainties. It shows greatness of Guru Sahib. Kings sought help of Guru Sahib. He released them, gave them their kingdoms back but did not gain anything for himself. He could’ve asked for money, land, army or resources but Guru Sahib was teaching the Sikhs a lesson. Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji followed the same footsteps by sacrificing his life. Guru Gobind Singh Ji did the exact same thing. This is the ideal lifestyle of a Sikh. Khalsa helps others without any personal benefit. If a Brahmin comes asking for help, Guru Sahib sends Baba Ajit Singh to free the hindu women. If Brahmin of Qasur comes asking for the release of his newly wedded bride, Khalsa quickly attacks Qasur and brings back the Brahmin’s wife. When Abdali takes hindu women as slaves, Khalsa comes to rescue. Such acts of bravery and valor were learnt from the examples set by Guru Sahib. For me, Bandi Chorr Diwas is not just a day when Guru Sahib released 52 kings but a day that marks freedom of life, fighting for truth, helping others unconditionally and living the principle of “Jo Sharan Aavay Tis Kanth Laavay..”.

I think the author is disturbed why other Gurpurabs are not celebrated the same way but that shouldn’t lead us to downplay the importance of an historic event. Khalsa used to call Sarbat Khalsa on Vaisakhi and Diwali days. All gurpurabs should be celebrated the same way but just because it is not happening doesn’t mean we have to attack Bandi Chorr Diwas. Not just Darbar Sahib but entire Amritsar city should be decorated and lighted up so the world can see the illuminated city of Guru Sahib from the sky.

Bandi Chorr Diwas is an important event in the Sikh history. Guru Sahib secured the release of Hindu kings and had their kingdoms reestablished. I don't find a similar example in the history anywhere else. Guru Sahib taught that everyone has the right to freedom and live their life as they wish. Guru Sahib did not try to convert them or establish his sovereignty over them nor did he try to make them his suzerainties. It shows greatness of Guru Sahib. Kings sought help of Guru Sahib. He released them, gave them their kingdoms back but did not gain anything for himself. He could've asked for money, land, army or resources but Guru Sahib was teaching the Sikhs a lesson. Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji followed the same footsteps by sacrificing his life. Guru Gobind Singh Ji did the exact same thing. This is the ideal lifestyle of a Sikh. Khalsa helps others without any personal benefit. If a Brahmin comes asking for help, Guru Sahib sends Baba Ajit Singh to free the hindu women. If Brahmin of Qasur comes asking for the release of his newly wedded bride, Khalsa quickly attacks Qasur and brings back the Brahmin's wife. When Abdali takes hindu women as slaves, Khalsa comes to rescue. Such acts of bravery and valor were learnt from the examples set by Guru Sahib. For me, Bandi Chorr Diwas is not just a day when Guru Sahib released 52 kings but a day that marks freedom of life, fighting for truth, helping others unconditionally and living the principle of "Jo Sharan Aavay Tis Kanth Laavay..".

I think the author is disturbed why other Gurpurabs are not celebrated the same way but that shouldn't lead us to downplay the importance of an historic event. Khalsa used to call Sarbat Khalsa on Vaisakhi and Diwali days. All gurpurabs should be celebrated the same way but just because it is not happening doesn't mean we have to attack Bandi Chorr Diwas. Not just Darbar Sahib but entire Amritsar city should be decorated and lighted up so the world can see the illuminated city of Guru Sahib from the sky.

It is very enlightening view point. Sikhs may have some different view points from Hindu ideology but Gurus have always taught us that we should be engaged in 'sarbat Bhala'.

Sharing happy and sad moments of every one is the innate teachings for the sikhs. Yes, we celebrate this day of lights, it almost as a festival and that spirit we should always keep. Culturally we are not much different from Hindus and we share many things with them. May be we do not like to utter these things on the forums lest it may invite the wrath of other members.

I like this day as the day of light .I like the way my little daughter makes 'Rangoli' at the entrance of the house and everyone is welcome. We do visit Gurudwaras and light candles. What is there to be so serious about it?

We are all humn beings. We all like our hearts to blossom some time or the other. Always pondering over 'sabads' and 'bani' is good but then till we reach a stage when mind is above this play of maya, we all like to be happy and gay.

Guru sahibs have cautioned against pleasure and seeking pleasure but being happy is another feeling and I think that we should always be happy and that is a blessing.

My views are not in alignment with the spirit of this thread for which I deserve to be pardoned.

I have been to Gwalior Kila Gurudwara[Datta bandi Chor] with my family and we enjoyed the stay very much.

Incidentally, it shall be appropriate that I should tell that I am a born-sikh and have been subjected to all that happened during 1984 riots and I do not keep hairs and now I feel it is high time that I should become Amritdhari and would request sangat to pray for me that Guru Sahibs give me enough courage to become Puran Guru sikh. My wife is also a very religious lady and she gets up daily at about 3 a.m. and does her duties. I really want to join her now before it is too late.

Sorry for all diversions. i am i tears and shall stop here.

Love to all.

• 11 years later...

Thank  you Amardeep Singh. Nice article. There is no question that the way the Bandi —— day is celebrated,  it is an alibi for actually celebrating Diwali to pretend that Sikhs don’t celebrate to try to emphasize that Sikhs are separate from Hindus. How many Sikhs all over India who participate in the festival even know that they are celebrating bandi Chhor divas day and are even familiar with this history. It is also immaterial whether Guru sahib was imprisoned for how long. 

Truth is Sikhs have organically grown out of largely Hindu culture. Hinduism is not even a religion. It is merely a geographic description. So Sikhs have largely remained aligned with Hindu way of cultural life. 

May I ask a question to those who are research oriented. Did all guru sahiban themselves and their devotees- Sikhs in their life celebrate these Hindu festivals like Diwali? 

please enlighten us on this subject. 
I don’t think evaluating cultural events on basis of Gurbani is quite appropriate. Gurbani is entirely focused on spiritual development. That is the reason that  Gurbani or Guru Granth Sahib Is so unique compared to other scriptures. 

When Sikhs celebrate Diwali they don’t go to temples and do puja etc. So Diwali is is merely is a social event for merry making. 
I am totally against all the fire works. It is a crime against environment and a major health hazard and should be strongly limited. Disney world in Orlando has daily for works. All over the world new year is celebrate with heavy fireworks. It is bad. 

Humans need some sort of festivities to celebrate life. 

May Waheguru bless you all 

On 11/8/2007 at 7:32 PM, Akaali said:

vaahegurujeekaakhalsaavaahegurujeekeefateh

This article speaks my mind exactly. Have a read instead of following the majority.

Bandhi-Chor or an Alibi?

Every year, with arrival of Diwali I am forced to ponder over the hypocrisy that has entrenched our Sikh society. Sure, I am afraid to reason on Diwali/Bandi-Chor Diwas and its importance within the four walls of the Gurudwara, as it would amount to playing with sentiments and lead us nowhere.

So for years I have started isolating myself more and more from this occasion. Unless of course there is great keertan darbaar going on in the Gurudwara, I make it a point not to be present in any community celebrations on this day.

Am I taking it too far?

I don’t know. But I would surely appreciate if someone can help me understand why I should not take it too far!

Here are some thoughts on Diwali/Bandhi Chor Diwas.

Till date Historians have not reached a consensus on the period of Guru Hargobind Jis’ stay in the Fort of Gwalior. Historical texts indicate this period from as short as Forty days to as long as 12 years (Dabistan-I-Mazahi by Muhsin Fani). Some periods indicated in historical texts are 1617 – 19, 1609 – 1611, etc. Muhsin Fani is obviously wrong in stating the 12 year period because most of Gurus children were born during these years.

We know that Indian Calendar system is lunar based and therefore the no. of days in the Solar based calendar does not match with Indian system. If we are not sure about Guru Hargoind Jis period of stay and his discharge from the Gwalior Prison, then how can we mathematically calculate that Bandhi Chor Gurpurab falls every year on the Hindu festival day of Diwali?

If one may object to the above point, then let’s look at it the other way around. If we are sure that he was allowed to leave the prison on Diwali day, then historians should be able to work backwards and have a better understanding of the year of his release.

But till date our historical records are vague about the period he was imprisoned and the year of his discharge.

Some justify the use of heavy lighting at Darbar Sahib on Diwali by linking it with arrival of Guru Hargobind Ji to the city of Amritsar after having been released from Gwalior prison and having sought the release of Hindu nobles (and therefore Bandhi Chor) with his release. It is said that the residents of Amritsar lighted up their houses in happiness of his arrival.

So what are we trying to celebrate on this day?

Release of Bandhis from the Fort of Gwalior or the arrival of Guru Ji at Amritsar?

If Guru Ji arrived at Amritsar on Diwali day, then wouldn’t it be but obvious that a large section of Hindu population residing in Amritsar would have as it is lighted up their houses because of the festive occasion of Diwali?

If we are celebrating the release of Bandhis from the Fort of Gwalior on that day, then one wonders how would the message of release have reached Darbar Sahib the same day over a distance of 600 Kilometers for the Sangat there to have lighted up the lamps?

While Bandhi Chor may be perceived as an important event by many Sikhs and I don’t want to take away the importance from this event, but keep an open mind and think why is it that we Sikhs light up the Darbar Sahib on Bandhi Chor Gurpurab only?

Aren’t other Gurpurabs as much important?

Isn’t Gur-Gaddi Diwas of Guru Granth Sahib important?

Wouldn’t the arrival of Guru Tegh Bahadur to the city of Amritsar warrant the same kind of happiness as at the time of arrival of Guru Hargobind Ji?

We don’t light up Darbar Sahib in the same way on other important Gurupurabs, so why is it that we do it only on Diwali?

Well let’s not cheat ourselves. The reality is that in-spite of having been Sikhs for centuries, we still don’t want to give up our past baggage of Hindu festivals.

Every Year, come Diwali, Raagis in our Gurudwaras are heard singing the Shabad “Diwali Di Raat, Divey Baliyan”. For the layman the singing of this Shabad of Bhai Gurdas, using an analogy line as the Asthai (Chorus) of the Shabad truly distorts the essence. Repeated singing of this Shabad on this occasion makes it appear that Diwali is a sanctioned festival in Sikhism. But a full reading of the Shabad conveys a totally different message.

Essence of the Shabad is that pleasures of festivities, pilgrimages, etc are momentary and only an understanding of Gurus Shabad leads to prime pleasure of the mind.

Bhai Gurdas Jis’ Vaar 19 Pauri 6

Diwali Di Raat Devey Baliyan

Tarey Jaat Sanat Ambar Bhaliyan

Phula Di Bagat Chun Chun Chaliyan

Tirath Jati Jat Nain Nihaliyan

Har Chandauri Jhat Vasaye Uchaliyan

Gurmukh Sukh Ful Daat Sabad Smaliyan

Lamps are lighted on the night of Diwali festival; stars of different variety appear in the sky; in the gardens the flowers are there which are selectively plucked; the pilgrims going to pilgrimage centers are also seen and the imaginary habitats have been seen coming into being and vanishing. All these are momentary, but the Gurmukhs with the help of Word nourish the gift of the pleasure fruit.

As most Sikhs originated from the Hindu mainstream, have we not found an Alibi (an excuse) in Bandi Chor for our inability to part with our past baggage of celebrating the Hindu festival of Diwali?

Amardeep Singh

Angad Singh

vaahegurujeekaakhalsaavaahegurujeekeefateh

Before posting this article, did you take the following in to account:

It took Guru Ji and the sangat a month to reach from Gwalior to Sri Amritsar Sahib. They went to Lahore first and punished Chandu.

The day they all arrived at Sri Amritsar Sahib, sangat had lighted devas (oil and wick). The night was illuminated by the light from the devas.

The Sikh sangat did not celebrate Diwali as per the events of Ramyan. Sikhs celebrated the home coming of their Guru.

If the two days fall on the same day, then that does not mean that Sikhs celebrate the events of Ramayan...

• 11 months later...