Query To Smagam Organizers- Best Recording Device?

N30S1NGH

Sangat ji,

I need help, i m hoping to buy recording device soon to record good quality kirtan/katha's/lectures, what device you guys use to record kirtan/katha's in samagams/rehensbhai?

any real good device out there?

What i am looking for is the device that straights records to mp3 not wav or wma, converting them into mp3 is very time consuming.. i m looking for good battery life too?

any advise which device shall i buy?

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

My experience is the best solution is using a simple laptop... musicmatch pro or the free messer program records directly to MP3 files, with the big advantage of allowing you to type in file names on the system so that the files are named appropriately without needing to come back and rename them all later.

I have also used Archos products with a lot of success, especially the Archos jukebox products... it also records directly to mp3, but is a lot harder with naming tracks, and generally you'll be transferring them over to a computer anyways.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

VJKK VJKF,

If you just want to use a simple laptop then here are the instrutions I sent to someone just 20 mins ago :lol: :

1) Install "Audio Grabber" to your Laptop. From here: http://tucows.easynet.net/files/agsetup.exe

2) Go through all the setup procudeures. Next...Next..Next..

3) Open "Audio Grabber".

4) Go to File > Line in Sampling,

You should now see a Volume Bar in the middle. Don't worry about that yet.

5) Instead on the right go to "Mixer".

6) Tick "Internal Mic" - If you just want to use the laptops mic...If you got a wire connected to the sound system then use "External Mic"

7) untick 1 microhpone joost or something like that. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS OR THE RECORDING WILL COME UN-CLEAR.

8) Now your ready to start recording.

9) Click the "Record" Button. It's near the bottom left hand corner.

Now look at your volume Bar meater. Is it too high? If it's hitting the top...and is very high then go to "mixer" again and reduce the volume. It should be around 60-70 on average. If its too low than make it higher. Once again make sure the 1 Micrphone Joost button is UN-TICKED.

10) Now start recording.

11) When the Keertani has finished then stop it. And start again in time for the next one.

All recordings you stop will appear on your desktop so check there for a file.

If you want to spend some money then use this nicely priced recording mic - if your budget is tight. If you want to spend some money you can go for the 300-400 pounds one's.

Use this mic - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ECM-MS907-Ste...e/dp/B00005QBUW

IF YOUR USING AUDIOGRABBER THEN AFTER YOU RECORD MAKE SURE YOU "CONVERT TO MP3" AS THEY RECORD AS WAV FILES.

If you need any more advice then let me know.

VJKK VJKF.

• 2 months later...

Ive been using that sony mic that harmeet1 mentioned with my Sony HiMD for years now, recording loads of different programes and everytime recordings are crystal. :TH: the HiMD is really good at recording the only problem is uploading and converting because that can take a while. MP3 player/recorders r better for that job but i doubt they give you recordings as good as an MD player. I use Sony HiMD MZNH900 clickforpic

depends what you want i guess. Theres no need for 10mics with 100 stands, 5 mixers 2 md player etc etc lol. thats just long, ive heard recordings done better with a sony mic and md than all the arsenal of sound equipment some guys bring in lol. But on that note, sony have stopped production of HiMD/Net MD Players and minidiscs. so you'll have to search on eBay or cashconverters or something lol.

yeh I looked at that, main problem is the transfer and editing which can be a big pain. Archos has the prob of being to fidelly, you need the dvr station which then needs to be plugged in mains. :D blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Go for an Iriver H120...sadly its no longer available, but you can buy it from eBay like I did. You can record .mp3 from 60kbps all the way up to 320kbps or in .Wav

You won't be disappointed with the recording options and the quality it give you. You can either record from a Line-in (normal or even an optical input) or an external Microphone.

A microphone is provided with the accessories which works very well Or you can spend 70 bucks on a better one if you know a line-in will not always be available where you are recording.

• 2 weeks later...

suggested the following to a singh in toronto... he records a lot.. some of u may even knw him...

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

he said its above par... best bet for buying is prolly ebay.. not too expensive either... but its got power... did some research... thers expensive options

minidiscs are good but u'll hav major conversion issues...

one of the best ones:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productde...px?ObjectId=757

this is only if u got money to spare... otherwise...zooms good

• 2 weeks later...
suggested the following to a singh in toronto... he records a lot.. some of u may even knw him...

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

he said its above par... best bet for buying is prolly ebay.. not too expensive either... but its got power... did some research... thers expensive options

minidiscs are good but u'll hav major conversion issues...

one of the best ones:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productde...px?ObjectId=757

this is only if u got money to spare... otherwise...zooms good

Have to agree the above devices are the ones to go for if you want quality throug and through.

The Zoom H2 is also a great device at a bargain price.