Should Age Gap Count When Your Getting Married?

Guest _Gupt_

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ERGO-PHALANX

Non-Sikhs may marry whomsoever they please …

However cccording to the Sikh teachings/ guru ji dhi rehith maryada a GurSikh should only marry another GurSikh within the Khalsa panth. Within Sikhism there are (or should be) only GurSikhs, those who have their own interpretations (sahejdharis (shaven), nirankaris, radhaswamais, bakhandis hor gwancheh hoie manmat nuu manan waleh atheh auu jinah kaul koi anakh atheh aatmiq bal nahi hegah) of Sikhi are not Sikhs, simple as that. So yes it bodes true as someone mentioned earlier that religion may not be a deciding criterion when the aforesaid type of people consider someone for marriage but these people deciding on life partners other than Sikhs are not Sikhs nor do they care about what faith their progeny may wish to follow.

Indeed from observation I have seen that such unions end up with confused and often depressed children as they themselves have no idea which faith they want to follow. Some may retort that the children are given a choice/freedom but the reality of it through observation, is that choice is only evident when the two partners are not steadfast in their own beliefs or it is something the male or female may imply to each other the existence of, in the beginning of a relationship to gain ground and trust. However later the agreement is denied and when important times are reached within the child’s lifetime such as marriage, sanctions are imposed such as he/she may only wed into the dominant partner’s religion an example from countless is of one Pakistani Muslim minister who wedded a Jewish woman (Love marriage) and on wedlock they agreed that if they had a boy he would marry a Muslim and when they were blessed with a girl she would marry a Jew. When the time came the couple was only able to conceive a daughter and yet when the time arrived for her to be wedded the father denied the initial agreement and wanted for his daughter to marry into a Muslim household unfortunately for him though his wife was no pushover and in the end his daughter happily wedded a Jew.

Nowadays kids get brainwashed (girls and guys) and then try to justify their deviation from the path of Sikhi by saying that it doesn’t matter who you marry because “Teh UbBer o:o0 waheguru ji said oval allah noore upaiyah kudhrat keh sab bandheh…ik nor seh so on and so forth”. It’s this kind of naivety and lazyness (for want of a better word) which allows them to get into the almighty messes you hear about but perhaps they deserve it and the severance of this weakness is a good thing for the panth…there never were many Sikhs to begin with but if Sikhs (Singh atheh Singhniya) can maintain their bal to the parity of sawa lakh and beyond and the bana of the guru ji uncorrupted by societal upheaval then we do not really need many.

Saad sangat ji jah mereh kolo koi galthi hogei howeh phir menuh daas samaj keh Bhul chuk maaf karna

ERGO-PHALANX

• 2 weeks later...
Nowadays kids get brainwashed (girls and guys) and then try to justify their deviation from the path of Sikhi by saying that it doesn’t matter who you marry because “Teh UbBer o:o0 waheguru ji said oval allah noore upaiyah kudhrat keh sab bandheh…ik nor seh so on and so forth”. It’s this kind of naivety and lazyness (for want of a better word) which allows them to get into the almighty messes you hear about but perhaps they deserve it and the severance of this weakness is a good thing for the panth…there never were many Sikhs to begin with but if Sikhs (Singh atheh Singhniya) can maintain their bal to the parity of sawa lakh and beyond and the bana of the guru ji uncorrupted by societal upheaval then we do not really need many.

Sounds an awful lot like ethnic superiority. Or no, more like social darwinism.

"Maybe its better that these poorer sections of society are struck with disease and hunger and die out. In the end, we (the upper class) will be left pure and devoid of their uncleanliness"

Pays to know what ideology you support, doesn't it?

I liken this whole discussion to the similar discussion/debate between strict and loose constructionism in terms of the interpretation of the US Constitution. Strict = follow only what constitution exactly says. Loose = what the constitution does not say is not disallowed. Maybe that throws a different light on this...

• 4 weeks later...
Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I think that's up to personal choice... there's nothing "wrong" nor nothing "right" about different age gaps (within a reasonable limit, not like decade)... but if both of them are comfortable with an older/younger wife/husband, then that seems to be perfectly fine.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

true..!

I think it matters. The male should be older than the female, I am sure it is one of the rehit maryada's. If i can remember, the guy should be at least 5 years older if i am correct. So far, in my experience, i have not met a guy who is younger than me, and has the same maturity as me or a girl of my age. I am sure that this is very very rare.

Like someone says, if they are both happy with it and both sides of the family are happy with it, i can't see it being a problem. I can't help but think that somewhere down the line when they argue say, it may come up. A year or two younger seems ok, but any less than that is too much.

Just my two cents.

its not a rehat maryada.. thats somethin tha's recommended i THINK on the taksal website.. buh there's no maryada on age difference.. i's about maturity, and where u both are in ur lives...

i kno a lot of guyz who are more mature then females who are either the same age or older... so age 'aint nuttin but a numba' so to speak...