Should Age Gap Count When Your Getting Married?

Guest _Gupt_

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=309196

This is from JustMe Bhenji's thread on Sikh Women. It says Guru Nanak Dev Ji was 18 at the time of marriage, and Mata Sulakhni Ji was probably about 14. But remember things were done differently back then, often marriage took place at a young age - Bebe Nanaki was married at 11 I think - and then the girl went to live with her husband some years later.

Fateh,

I am just going to reply back to the original post from a sikhi perspective. Does age gap really matter? Nothing in the Guru Granth Sahib says that you have to marry someone older if you are a girl. You also said you are asking this because your sister has a potential match to someone who is 4 yrs younger. Well, I understand you are worried but if you really want to think of this from a "sikhi" view then just try to remember that whatever is supposed to happen WILL happen. Everything is written for you from the day you are born, including the person you marry. If your sister is meant to be this person then i'm sure it will work out.

In the olden days girls were normally married young so that they had a longer married fertility life, this is something arising from the ancient civilisations. In these situations a girl was chosen to marry someone who could provide income for her. For instance in ancient greece a boy the girls age was unlikely to be earning. Therefore tradition was that young girls were married to established older men. In fact it was consider to be some sort of social taboo if a girl was unable to find an older husband as a match. http://www.historylink102.com/greece3/marriage.htm

However society continously changes and what was norm then is not norm now. Therefore we must ask ourselves the fundamentals of this question.

Guest OpinionatedSing

Yeah but won't the guy or girl think it all the time?

If you sister marries this guy who is 4 years younger then she will be thinking about it all the time. especially birthdays and when he messses about with friends. I think it will be an issue later on in life. when they argue, the age will come up especially that he is immature. My sister says it to me all the time. if i got a rishta for a girl younger than me i know that i will worry about the maturity levels if we got married. I don't know anyone that has done that and i would worry what people thought.

I say marry in your age or for the guys to marry girls who are younger than them. My opinion.

when they argue, the age will come up especially that he is immature.

Then the question arises, why would a person marry sum1 who is immature? maturity and age don't always go hand in hand... i know people who are late 20's who act like they're 15... i kno people who are 18 and have the maturity if a full grown adult...

Guest OpinionatedSing

That may be true i guess i would feel uncomfortable about it. An older wife is intimidating. And i would worry what others would say, esepcially if there was a 4 years or more gap. I don't know anyone where this situation has happened.

An older wife is intimidating. And i would worry what others would say, esepcially if there was a 4 years or more gap. I don't know anyone where this situation has happened.

lol bruv u seem to get intimidated quite easily

Sher Ban!!

When it comes to age... hmm people who know me will know my answer

Age doesnt matter :D

Pyaar fer vee pyaar hunda eh