Christmas

Kharku

Celebrating Chritmas  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Celebrate It

• YES
    • NO
    • I don't celebrate it but respect it.

Christmas as a "universal holiday", that at it's roots is tied into the justification for their oppression.

I'm deeply offended as a former practicing christian by this. :@

In order for you to make any statement about a religion other than yours, make sure its founded on facts!

Mel, I didn't know that about you!! That's very cool! :) This buddasingh is usually a respected poster. I don't know if he is drinking bad tea tonight, but something has obviously clouded his judgement.

Dude,

If I'm drinking bad tea, you need some in the worst way. :nihungsmile: winking under those sunglasses...

Christmas as a "universal holiday", that at it's roots is tied into the justification for their oppression.

I'm deeply offended as a former practicing christian by this. :)

In order for you to make any statement about a religion other than yours, make sure its founded on facts!

mpk

I can assure you that no offence is intended. I am not surprised at fear or anger when confronted to think beyond a comfort zone. Perhaps it would help to know what you understand quoted words to mean in the context of what was written.

It would also help to know what you understand of Christians justifying slavery, racism, and oppression as having a basis in the bible and teachings of Christ.

I do not suggest that those are the teachings of Christ, but without a doubt, Christians purported racist oppression to be amongst the teachings of Christ and used the bible as a foundation for that oppression. Factual enough?

Do you think the entire society of Christians were evil people? No, they were people who went about their everyday lives in the social context of the time. Today, many people don’t understand why everybody shouldn’t celebrate Christmas as a cozy universal holiday despite its ugly past. Does that make them evil? No. However, it does make the effect of their thinking racist, whether they understand it or not.

You speak of “my religion”. I don’t know if it will help you to understand more about where I am coming from, but I think huge segments of sikhs (who nonetheless may be better sikhs than I) are amongst the most racist people in western societies in propping up their Jattism based on racist emotional programming akin to “universal Christmas”. (I may have just provided impetus for massive support for you here, enjoy).

"It would also help to know what you understand of Christians justifying slavery, racism, and oppression as having a basis in the bible and teachings of Christ."

Yes i agree with you, some people use the Bible to justify their own mean

"I do not suggest that those are the teachings of Christ, but without a doubt, Christians purported racist oppression to be amongst the teachings of Christ and used the bible as a foundation for that oppression. Factual enough?"

I would not call people who use the Bible for their own means Christians, the same way i wouldn't call people killing their unborn female infant Sikhs.

"Today, many people don’t understand why everybody shouldn’t celebrate Christmas as a cozy universal holiday despite its ugly past. Does that make them evil? No. However, it does make the effect of their thinking racist, whether they understand it or not. "

What is that ugly past of Christmas? Why are people celebrating Christmas racists? Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus nothing more, nothing less.

"You speak of “my religion”. I don’t know if it will help you to understand more about where I am coming from, but I think huge segments of sikhs (who nonetheless may be better sikhs than I) are amongst the most racist people in western societies in propping up their Jattism based on racist emotional programming akin to “universal Christmas”. "

Racism and inequality are rooted in ego, it has nothing to do with being Christians or Jatts.

"(I may have just provided impetus for massive support for you here, enjoy)."

This is not a matter of supporting you versus me kind of thing. I'm not against you but I disagree with some of your comments.

Ok why do people celebrate christmas because of jesus b'day right? but is it ... lets look at this perspectively..

1. The bible says Herod's response to this was to murder all baby boys under a certain age.

2. When Mary and Joseph learn of Herod's plan to kill the babies, the New Testament has them fleeing to Egypt.

3. The bible has them returning to Nazareth before the passover.

- Now look at the timeframes -

3a. They went to Bethleham

3b. fled to Egypt

3c. and then back to Nazareth

On what a DONKEY blink.gif !!! All this in UNDER a week's time grin.gif

Look at a map and see how stupid this looks :)

4. Date of Jesus birth is another random holiday that was stolen from pagans and christianized :@

5. If Jesus was born before passover of that year, he simply coulnd't have been born on dec 25.

- Why -

6. The Passover Lamb must be killed on the day of unleavened bread which as the first day of the seven day period (Abib 14). Therefore is not 25th!

So, most of you that celebrate because you are told to do so. tongue.gif

Amen

tell me what i said that ticked you off?

did i make fun of christianity? no!

did i say christians are wrong? no!

did i say Jesus was wrong? no!

did i say that only Sikhy is right? no!

did i say disrespect any faith? no!

did i say what christians need to be doing? no!

You come in here and read one of my post and decided to explode without even reading my others ones.

Celebrate what you want, go do what you want on christmas, go put up what ever lights you want. Go sing what ever song you want.

Since you wanna invite me so much stuff, ok. fine.

Tell me which christmas song guru gobind singh ji sang? tell me how many presents he handed out on dec. 25th. Tell me how many lights he put up, tell me how and christmas trees he put up. Tell me what he did on that day that people say is celebrating christmas. ??????????

Can you please tell me when Guru Sahib surfed the internet, or went on MSN?

tell me what i said that ticked you off?

did i make fun of christianity? no!

did i say christians are wrong? no!

did i say Jesus was wrong? no!

did i say that only Sikhy is right? no!

did i say disrespect any faith? no!

did i say what christians need to be doing? no!

You come in here and read one of my post and decided to explode without even reading my others ones.

Celebrate what you want, go do what you want on christmas, go put up what ever lights you want. Go sing what ever song you want.

Since you wanna invite me so much stuff, ok. fine.

Tell me which christmas song guru gobind singh ji sang? tell me how many presents he handed out on dec. 25th. Tell me how many lights he put up, tell me how and christmas trees he put up. Tell me what he did on that day that people say is celebrating christmas. ??????????

Can you please tell me when Guru Sahib surfed the internet, or went on MSN?

oh come on, lets not bring life back to this old thread.

if you wanna think of it like that, we could go on and on for days.

but surfing the net, and msn has nothing to do with another faith or religion......

I dont think anyone here actually celebrates Christmas - in the christian way. Seems like most people enjoy the holidays, put up a tree , etc.

I am almost positive that no one hear drinks 'jesus's blood' or goes to 'mass'.

---- It comes down to whether you think a Sikh can enjoy 'non-sikh' holidays.

That is up for debate, will it effect you spiritually or not, thats a choice that has to be made on an individual level. I know personally I love the christmas holidays, the days off are great.

--- Also I'd be careful to proclaim anyone a Sant, including Jesus Christ. We have know way of knowing whether Jesus was a Sant or not.

--- end of the day, none of this is relevant. At the end its a relationship between you and Guru Sahib. And yes it is a sacrifice, a sacrifice of LOVE --- and that love is what drives rehit, not the other way around. You can follow every possible rehit out there, but until you have that love from within, until you realize god within, until you start nurturing your soul (simran, bani), - everything you will have done will be useless.

Look at these other religions they think if they follow a certain rehit, they will get to heaven, if they dont they will go to hell. Guru Sahib said its all about remembrance of god, love for god 24/7, and I believe from that will flow REHIT.... and without the first part - the rest is useless

-- now how Christmas effects your relationship with god, is personal to you, and only you. whoever comes on and makes rules that a sikh can celebrate this, and cant celebrate that... is in a dangerous cycle and missing the point