Rattan Bhangu's Panth Prakash

dalsingh101

So whose read the book?

Where can I get it in the UK?

Can someone scan a few pages of the Baba Santa Steek so I can see what level the Punjabi is at?

u mean BHAI SAHIB BHAI RATTAN SINGH JI BHANGUS Panth Parkash

not being picky but this guy was the grandsom of Shaheed Baba Mehtab Singh Ji who cut off the head of Massa Rangarr

Have a bit of respect :nihungsmile:

I know who he is thanks. Personally I am against the unnecessary use of titles/honourifics. Sikhs get especially excited about this stuff. If I call a guy by his plain given name it takes nothing away from him and it is not an insult or any "disrespect"

PS - I'm sure that this is THE FIRST attempt at writing serious Sikh history

its a hukam of GURU GOBIND SINGH SAHIB JI'S MAHARAJ TO CALL HIS SINGHS/KAURS WITH FULL NAME , LIKE ADDING SINGH OR KAUR TO THE NAME.

Interesting parts worth discussion:

Couplet: O Sikhs of the Guru! Hear how I answered him: ‘this Panth was not born in secrecy. The panth of Singhs cannot remain hidden. Singh panth was created for the struggle. Singhs took birth armed with weapons.’7. ‘Singhs received initiation of the double-edged sword. It was their first meal. Singhs wear the quoits (charka), miniature knives on their heads how can they remain concealed like those who wear tiger-claws?’8. ‘The perfect Guru created the panth essentially for the struggle. Sovereignty cannot be obtained without resistance. At the very inception, the Guru invoked the method of warfare for the purpose.’
Quatrain: ‘Now the Sikhs must be physically transformed. They must exude power, and inspire fear. They must be given striking names. The form of initiation must sharpen them up.’ 31. This is what the True Guru decided upon and thoughtfully followed it up with action. A knight’s appearance, with long head hair and turban tied on head, would look extremely handsome. 32. Name ‘Singh’ was in the tradition of knights. The respected Guru considered this to be best. In his mind he decided upon initiation of the double-edged sword. ‘This will make the Khalsa determined to prevail.’33. ‘This is how they will acquire kingly habits and every individual in every saddle will aspire to kingship. Reeds must be beaten into steel and the initiation of the double-edged sword will make them habitually hold the double-edged sword.’

How can the hippy type Singhs explain this?

Couplet: The Sikhs did not agree. They were afraid of the Turks. ‘They have a huge army. They are not likely to abdicate political power or to vacate the lands.’24.

Quartet: The Sikhs did not agree to the proposition: ‘how can we get rid of the Turks? We are to the Turks what sparrows are to huge hawks or what sheep are to wolves.’25. ‘How can you make the deer kill the lion? How could the mountain stream water flow up the mountain. `These Mughals and Pathans are born soldiers and we are mere humble Jats, barbers and carpenters.’26. ‘You have located all those who belong to the low castes. They are also disarmed. Call upon the Rajput kings they will serve your purpose better.’27.

Couplet: The true Guru regretted, ‘what have these Sikhs done? I desire to entrust political power to the Sikhs. They have refused it.’28.

Quatrain: The respected Guru was all knowing. He discerned the real causes. The (prevailing) mode of initiation, drinking water touched by the Guru’s feet, inspires peaceful nature. It does not contain wonderful courage.’29.

Couplet: ‘They wear the saintly knotted woollen strings and humble caps on their heads. (A word meaning) slave is a proper name for them. Infinite compassion is a part of their personalities. It does not allow them to hold weapons.’

Guru ji recognised giddarness and changed the amrit ceremony to combat this thinking. So according to Rattan Singh Guru introduced Pahul to make followers brave enough to fight which they were scared to do before.

References to caste equality.

Quatrain: They must not pay homage to ghosts, phantoms, Gugga or Sakhi Sarvar. They must not wear the saffron mark, the sacred thread or wear their loose waist cloth. They must eat from one vessel as people of one caste.36.
`These Mughals and Pathans are born soldiers and we are mere humble Jats, barbers and carpenters.’26. ‘You have located all those who belong to the low castes. They are also disarmed.
Quatrain: Seven of the lowest castes and the twelve just above them know nothing of politics, and are addressed as ‘rustics and weeds’ by the world. They are called, petty traders, peddlers. Ironsmiths and carpenters are the lowest castes. Mercy be on the lowly tailors and wine sellers. Traders in milk, the uncouth, herd grazers, low caste Kamboj and sudras count for nothing with anyone, (so also the) water carriers, barbers, Aroras, pot makers, Sainis, gold-smiths, outcastes, leather dressers.
He inspired five young men to rise. He fused the four varnas into one brotherhood.

References to the guerilla war against the Moghuls

A contingent of the Mughal army came and apprehended many Singhs. They were arrested and sent to Lahore where the Mughal governor had them killed.41 When this happened to the Singhs they too rose in revolt. The Singhs also killed smaller forces. When outnumbered, they merge with bushes.42 Quarrel between the Singhs and Mughals increased; when had they ever been friendly? Dishonest Hindus joined them. The majority became enemies of the panth.43.

Barely through this book at all at the moment despite having had it for over 6 months now! Interesting read certainly and mountains to discuss. Who has actually read this version then as dalsingh asked? I have it but have barely got through the first few scores yet.

Send it to me if your not going to read it......lol

i hav book. not quite sure what to make of it. there is a serious anti-Banda Singh theme to it. the translater in his foreword has picked out some historical nad religiuous errors in it as well.

Maybe we shouldn't be surprised given the context. I've always felt Sikhs themselves are still discovering Sikhi, so I'm not surprised that they were confused back then. I know it has serious Bahmanvad in it but it still records lots of oral traditions passed down from people who were very close to the action in the 1700s (i.e the authors grandfather Mehtab Singh.) This information is close to the source of activities and apparently Banda was a controversial figure with some Singhs even in his own time because of some changes he is supposed to have introduced.

"I know it has serious Bahmanvad in it but"

Really? care to expand?

Well I'd really like to look at it closely myself first but so far i have heard from a few places that it repeats the old "Guru Gobind Singh approached Chandhi Devi for support" thing before the Khalsa was born.

But I know lots of old texts contain stuff like that. I guess it is up to the critical mind to separate the real from the fake when it comes to analysing historical texts. The relationship between some old Singhs and Chandhi worship is a strange one.

But like I said, until we have fully read and analysed the writing it would be foolish to draw any strong conclusions.