Media Vs Sikhs!

Kaur322

SSA JI

Again i was jst lookin through threads/posts, i saw this thread titled "Singh is King" and many of you replied very hatefully towards da media..as if its all these bollywood ppl's fault...well..ya i agree they shudnt b comin up wid such movies but think about it...i blv dat it all depends on one's thinking..saadi soch te depend karda ke assin oh bollywood waleya de tareeke nu app-naunde aan ja thukraunde haan.. it all depends on us as individuals, ke do we want to adapt to what da media wants us to adapt to? It all depends on us, if we, sikhs, want to look or give ourselves da image dat da media presents sikhs as. Forget about what da world (non-sikhs) would think of us..forget about what kind of image they would or they hold in their heads...i think we should all think/worry bout our own ppl first, and give them da knowledege of a true sikh, of what being a sikh really means.

In a same way, as most of us are out here...far away from our homeland..Panjab. We see lots of sikhs/desi ppl adapting to da western culture...why?? Oh saadi rees nai karde taan saade lokki ohna pishey kion ghumde ne? ohna da culture kion appnaunde ne? who are we to blame? u think we should all together blame the westerns?? i dnt think so. Saade apneya di hee ghallti hai...its our own ppl who are being moderns. We shouldnt b blaming anyone for what our sikh youth is involved in...its well said ke "Kamal da phull chikkarr (mudd/pond) vich uggda par kadee gandaa nai hunda" it doesnt really matter da kind of environment we're growin up in...wat matters is, ke assi apne sabheyachaar nu chette rakheya hai ke nai..do we knw our roots or not??

APNE VICHAAR JAROOR SANJHI KAREYO JI!

DO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS/CONCERNS, PLEASE!

Bhull Chukk Maaf!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's a really good point. We are all so worried about media giving the wrong impression about sikhi when it's sikhs themselves who are giving the wrong impression. :s

If only life was too simple, here is the deal

When bollywood presents the wrong image of sikhs in sikh saroop over and over again in the same light then people's mindset chnage. They dont think its fiction they start to believe there is some truth in it.

It not only has a psycological effect on non-sikhs but it also have a negative impact on sikhs. Young sikh men become ashamed to adopt the sikh saroop.

Media vs Sikhs is not about stopping media from providing houmerous or negative images of sikhs. It is about a balanced approach to so called entertainment which stays in the boundries of entertainment and does not turn into a unjust psycological warfare.

SSA JI

Dhanwaad saareya da...thank u all for sharing your views.

Balait Da Sher ji-Yes, i agree, bollywood is presenting a wrong image of sikhs throughout the world but what im trying to say is that what are we, our own people doing? Why cant our people present an image of their own? Why are our own people changing to whatever image the media is giving them (us)? Dont we all have a mind of our own? Don't we all have the right to make the right choices? Is some1 forcing us to follow the image they are presenting us with? Another question raising here...what are our punjabi movies doing for presenting a true image of sikhs? There was a movie playing yesterday on AlphaEtc Panjabi...all our panjabi entertainment/movies are presenting are the clans...JATT JATT JATT!! JATT AH JATT OH! Is that all what our punjabi culture is about? Is that all we all care about, the clans? Punjabi songs...what punjabi song talk about being a sikh? NOT ONE PERSON (SIKH) SAYS "IM A SIKH" now a days people want to change or add their ghotra/clan name with singh or kaur. All im saying is FIRST WE ALL NEED TO PRESENT A TRUE IMAGE IN OURSELVES..THEN THINK ABOUT CHANGING THE WORLD. Je saadi apni hee image sahi nai ah saadiyan akhaan vich then who are we to tell the world who we are? As I said before, FORGET about the world, think about what image you hold in your head, think about your own people first. Ya...be selfish for a change...

Its true dat bollywood's impact on youngsters does tend to change sikh childrens' views about who they are, but what else are they to do? Do they have their own people to look up to?? Is our panjabi media presenting them with something that relates to who we really are? NO..Not really. Then what difference does it make that they watch bollywood movies or panjabi movies...its all da same..B.S.

Bhull Chukk Maaf G!

How many Bollywood movies do we see where a Sikh is shown in a positive light as a SIKH, and not as Indian? Border? Gadar? Nah those are Indian movies not Sikh ones. The script is pretty much clear. Use a comedian to act as a Sikh when making a comedy to make people laugh, and use a body builder as a Sikh when you have to degrade Pakistan. As simple as that!

Haanji tusi v sahi keh rahe o, Mehtab Singh Ji...par ohna de (bollywood) raaste te assin kion chall rahe aan? Why are we following their path? Again, I stand on the same argument as my last posts in this thread...What are our people doing? FORGET THE WORLD...panjabi di kahawat hai "Daati de ik paasey dandey hundey te duniya de dowein paasey"

Bhul Chukk Maaf G!