Media Vs Sikhs!

Kaur322

I showed this picture frm the poster to about 12 ppl who don't know much about sikhi - and they couldn't see anything wrong wiv it. ohmy.gif So sikhs need to learn bout sikhi before tryin to fix up the rest of the world.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I showed this picture frm the poster to about 12 ppl who don't know much about sikhi - and they couldn't see anything wrong wiv it. ohmy.gif So sikhs need to learn bout sikhi before tryin to fix up the rest of the world.

Sahi keha tusi sis ji...that's exactly what im trying to tell my sikh brothers and sisters here...but i don't understand where am i failing to prove my point...? :s

Sahi keha tusi sis ji...that's exactly what im trying to tell my sikh brothers and sisters here...but i don't understand where am i failing to prove my point...? :s

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh lov

good post

but as balti said its about the psychological effects ....he stands correct.

what u are sayin is another aspect of the prob...we shouldn't worry about what world does or whatevr is shown in the movies..it shouldnt effect us but the truth is it does.maybe some could escape it but not all. thus need for us to take action.

so few people who know the danger of it are takin action. let them and dont stop them

as u said..we need to teach ourselves and fix our selves first

but that first shouldn't stop us from takin actions to make change or stand up for something that we know is effecting us as well.

im tryin to think ofsome example i could give u to help u see that they both are two diff things.

we need to work on ourselves but that doesnt mean we ignore other things that might take us away from what we want to work on.

sikhi is a life long learning journey right? so when will we know it? would we ever be able to make any change or fix nything?

its not about fixin up the world its about making those who think they can jus twist stuff without being responsible and not make themselves aware of the fact that what they doing is hurting the humanity!

hope that makes sense

i know from a very far these things dont seem like much of an issue ....but when u take a closer look at it (small issues) ...it is the very thing u will know that we need to pay attention to*(its jus one of the many things we need to be payin attntion to)

bhul chuk muaff karni

wjkk wjkf!

SSA JI,

Kaur Khalistani lioness- Thank you for posting your views...and yes, i fully understand the points you have made. We do need to take action on what bollywood/media is doing...but what if they are to ask us, the panjabi media, that what are we doing? What answers do we have for them? Can we give example(s) of any song or panjabi movie that our youth today watches, that talks about simply being a Sikh? Love between God and a human being...where do we present to the people, that firstly, love between god and a human is more important than having a bf/gf relationship...? <<this is what ppl think entertainment is all about...this is what pulls our ppl away from being bounded in lord's love.

What examples can we set for them (bollywood) that "look, this who we are". I really dont think Hindi or Panjabi movies are any different...just that hindi movies mention or give a certain image of who sikhs really aren't, and panjabi movies don't at all, instead they go about being off a certain clan (mainly being a jatt) in which we as sikhs don't even want to believe in...but the fact is that we all do because thats all that our media is presenting to the our sikh/panjabi youth.

So, what im basically trying to say is that lets think and take action on changing our media first, why can't we be ahead...and reach farther away than bollywood, and teach people about sikhi? Our own media at this moment is jst so lame, like they dont really care and trying to be like bollywood...tryin to make all romantic and full of action movies...instead of makin or givin themselves a status..an image of their own.

Bhull Chukk Maaf G!

SSA JI

Dhanwaad Ji, saareya da..for sharing ur views

Par main theeth, ik vaari fer koshish karan gi ke main kehna ki chaundi haan. Ik hor example tuhade samhney rankhna chaundi aan...and like always im trying to get my point across, here i go again..i'll try to keep it short and simple.

Ok, so, when we talk to our friends or anybody who dnt knw, about what our dress "code" is or what we are expected to wear, when we go to gurudwaras, i would like to hear from you all, what do u tell them? I probably dont hav to state it all here, as u all already knw the answer...

BUT, here is an example that our own people/sikhs are presenting an image of themselves that others blv to b true, I found this image while surfing da web and on flickr a lady posted this picture and her words are:

(here's da link for the picture) http://www.flickr.com/photos/lavannya/146634240/

A few friends here and me took a trip to the local Gurudwara. We all wanted some insight into Sikhism.

What I experienced and felt was so much warmth and love, such sanctity and yet freedom, such a lot of sense of community and unity.. that i am moved!

You can be dressed however, and be whoever and yet be welcome at the Gurudwara... all you need to do is cover your head.

Is this true? Do you all seriously think it is ok for sikh man and woman to dress like they want to gurudwara sahib ji? Is it proper? isnt there somethin expected of us?

Thats why im saying that FORGET BOLLYWOOD FOR A SECOND, Think about what our own people are doing first...WHAT IMAGE ARE THEY PRESENTING OF THIER OWN, TO THE WORLD? Tomorrow this person would go on and tell others of this...which is not true at all.

(If any questions or concerns about my point of the dress "code"-plz do read the article i posted titled "PAGG KYON?" in the articles section on this forum)

DHANWAAD JI

BHULL CHUKK MAAF!

Kaur Khalistani and Balti are correct! if these bollywood guys would stop degrading the image of a singh then alot of my person friends would probably have kesh.
But doesn't that bring out insecurity on our part? :s No offense but, we shouldn't balme "others" for our own shortcomings.

Yes everyone is at different levels, we can say that "hey, I can't keep kesh/read bani/take amrit etc... due to my own short comings" instead of saying, "hey, I can't do it because of the way sikhs are portrayed in society"

Exactly!

Dhanwaad ji, for makin that point..very clear.

i agree with u kaur...there is no doubt that we need to fix things up, be strong sikhs ourselves...

but the way u presented the information...it gives the other the view that we shouldnt worry about what bollywood movie nd what movie makers are doing...instead shift that energy towards helping our own people know about sikhi.

(im not sure if thats what u are trying to say...cuz we all interpret things differently )

when u say that we shouldnt worry about what they are doing..that statement comes out to be totally not correct.

some people saw that bollywood is one of the things which is misleading the youth...thus they are trying to take action. and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. lets not forget that there are many who are trying to teach people about what sikhi is ...the camps, retreats, sikhi workshops, and sikh associations.

and these are the few who are also takin action against bollywood movies. when u know something is causing a change...and know that ITS NOT A GOOD CHANGE...as a citizen u would want to put a stop to it...cuz u and ur own generations will be effected by it. bollywood has brought a lot of change in eastern community...and i am sure many of us would agree that its not a good kind of change.

i am not sure if u are talkin about the bombin of the cinema in Ludihana, well if its baout that....we know that its not something most people would approve of doin.

am i saying u are wrong when u say we need better media? no

am i saying u are wrong to say that we need to teach what sikhi is? no

all i see it as is that group of people see smething wrong ...and they wanna change it....do we need everyone to be teaching others sikhi? umm yes in an ideal world maybe, but reality is that not everyones capable of teaching sikhi to anyone

so again what u are saying is correct we do need to worry about teaching sikhi(its happning), but at the same time if our people see that something needs to be changed nd they take action against it...there is nothing wrong with it. i see it as thats what sikhs are suppose to do.

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!