Media Vs Sikhs!

Kaur322

SSA JI,

Yea true, i agree with u as well.. we need to take action and most people are, and yea if they're seeing something wrong they're putting it up front. But again we can only take action and change othas' views if we knw somthin bout sikhi ourselves...

You'll probably think people on this forum know a lot about sikhi and some might be jst learning...but im sure no1 here is so much of an ignorant not to knw dat We, sikhs, dont put up Caste system in order to b frnds with anybody. im sure we all know that sikhs don't/shudn't care about caste system...we mainly look or should i say, we should look at everyone as human beings.. ya? We all are equal is what sikhi teaches, men and women are equal and so on. Not to mention any names, I came across one person on this very forum who was trying to put me down because of the caste system i belong in. I think s/he's an amritdhaari, and surely does kirtan, thought i'd probably learn somthin frm him/her but im not afraid to say, s/he's not much of a sikh himself/herself, s/he only shows to have that image "wears the 5ks" but really, how much of a sikh is s/he?

Another point i want to make here...yes bollywood is not presenting the right image of sikhs "Akshay kumar with a paggri but clean shaven" hehe, hey atleast he has a paggri on. I jst saw a song on our punjabi channel which our /sikh youth is most likely to watch..or listen to. The song is sung by Miss Pooja "MAINU PAGG WALA MUNDA PASAND MUNDEYA". Now, do i need to say more?

Bhull Chukk Maaf Ji!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PunjabSingh

Since people are particularly talking about the so called "Singh is King" I would like to inform that just 3-4 days back this Akhshay Kumar was in a village in Ropar district for this very movie but no one protested against this visit .

Hindi movie hero,heroines are icons of today's Punjabi youths where as their heros should be heros from our own Sikh history who fought valiantly against tyranny and for truth .

SSA JI

Again i was jst lookin through threads/posts, i saw this thread titled "Singh is King" and many of you replied very hatefully towards da media..as if its all these bollywood ppl's fault...well..ya i agree they shudnt b comin up wid such movies but think about it...i blv dat it all depends on one's thinking..saadi soch te depend karda ke assin oh bollywood waleya de tareeke nu app-naunde aan ja thukraunde haan.. it all depends on us as individuals, ke do we want to adapt to what da media wants us to adapt to? It all depends on us, if we, sikhs, want to look or give ourselves da image dat da media presents sikhs as. Forget about what da world (non-sikhs) would think of us..forget about what kind of image they would or they hold in their heads...i think we should all think/worry bout our own ppl first, and give them da knowledege of a true sikh, of what being a sikh really means.

In a same way, as most of us are out here...far away from our homeland..Panjab. We see lots of sikhs/desi ppl adapting to da western culture...why?? Oh saadi rees nai karde taan saade lokki ohna pishey kion ghumde ne? ohna da culture kion appnaunde ne? who are we to blame? u think we should all together blame the westerns?? i dnt think so. Saade apneya di hee ghallti hai...its our own ppl who are being moderns. We shouldnt b blaming anyone for what our sikh youth is involved in...its well said ke "Kamal da phull chikkarr (mudd/pond) vich uggda par kadee gandaa nai hunda" it doesnt really matter da kind of environment we're growin up in...wat matters is, ke assi apne sabheyachaar nu chette rakheya hai ke nai..do we knw our roots or not??

APNE VICHAAR JAROOR SANJHI KAREYO JI!

DO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS/CONCERNS, PLEASE!

Bhull Chukk Maaf!

agree

SSA JI

Again i was jst lookin through threads/posts, i saw this thread titled "Singh is King" and many of you replied very hatefully towards da media..as if its all these bollywood ppl's fault...well..ya i agree they shudnt b comin up wid such movies but think about it...i blv dat it all depends on one's thinking..saadi soch te depend karda ke assin oh bollywood waleya de tareeke nu app-naunde aan ja thukraunde haan.. it all depends on us as individuals, ke do we want to adapt to what da media wants us to adapt to? It all depends on us, if we, sikhs, want to look or give ourselves da image dat da media presents sikhs as. Forget about what da world (non-sikhs) would think of us..forget about what kind of image they would or they hold in their heads...i think we should all think/worry bout our own ppl first, and give them da knowledege of a true sikh, of what being a sikh really means.

In a same way, as most of us are out here...far away from our homeland..Panjab. We see lots of sikhs/desi ppl adapting to da western culture...why?? Oh saadi rees nai karde taan saade lokki ohna pishey kion ghumde ne? ohna da culture kion appnaunde ne? who are we to blame? u think we should all together blame the westerns?? i dnt think so. Saade apneya di hee ghallti hai...its our own ppl who are being moderns. We shouldnt b blaming anyone for what our sikh youth is involved in...its well said ke "Kamal da phull chikkarr (mudd/pond) vich uggda par kadee gandaa nai hunda" it doesnt really matter da kind of environment we're growin up in...wat matters is, ke assi apne sabheyachaar nu chette rakheya hai ke nai..do we knw our roots or not??

Bhull Chukk Maaf!

agree

SSA JI

Bhull Chukk Maaf!

I totally understand what everyone is trying to say. Bollywood is indeed a big problem but I gotta say, it's not the ONLY problem. It's only in our way because we allow it to be. If we were all kesdhari's (at least) , wearing correct clothing, doing paath etc. then Bollywood would have no case. How can they take the mick out of people, if the people they portray are actually nothing like this? The problem is, most Sikhs I saw in Punjab when I went in October ARE how they're protrayed in the fims. Most believe in caste, go gurudwara once a month (my village gurudwara was always empty except for special occasions) and are more bothered about drink, meat and bhangra then anything else. I went to a wedding, and instead of people going to the Gurudwara, only about 20 people from each side went - whilst the rest were sat getting entertained at the hall! Punjab is getting worst and worst in my opinion and the Western Sikhs are actually getting better. I travelled all over Punjab and I didn't see half the amount of Girls I expected wearing a dastaar.

Men are cutting their hair by the day and kids who keep kes are starting to get bullied (including my 5 year old cousin.) This is why next time we go, we're going to do seva in the form of parchaar, it doesn't matter how long it takes. Things like 'how to tie dastaar' days, sikh history lessons, santhiyaa etc. are all very important but majority of the SIkhs today are too busy worrying about Politics and Khalistan then anything else.

IF we can do parchaar and be and inspiration for the youth, THEN we can have a leg to stand on when aguing with the media and other representatives out to change/take the mick out of sikhs.

I hope I made sense, I know I went on for a bit.

tongue.gif

Bhul Chukk Maaf