Cutting Hair

Guest gary jatt

I'd agree, its totally MANMAT, because tell me why on earth would u want a tattoo?? Ppl do this to impress others, and to be honest why wud u wanna impress ppl? whY not impress vaheguru instead!

i knw i aint or have no right to judge others, but stil... it doesnt make tattoos and cutting ur beautiful kes right.

vjkk vjkf!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kind of mentality you're talking about where we should dress simple and live simple is admirable, but don't knock those who choose to stray from that.

I agree with the above. Not everybody will have the same views as us. We do what we think is right - perhaps we think that buying expensive/designer shoes serves no real purpose for us, but at the same time we need to remember that many people like me will also feel a little ego boost *because* we've done something good. Either maya is so cunning or we are so stupid (or both).

One person may not have had the same experiences of Gurbani/Sikhi as another, so I feel it's important to explain reasons e.g. for keeping our kes properly rather than only saying 'it is manmat' - after all a newcomer to Sikhi will not have the same concept of Gurmat/Manmat as you might have. Maybe some people get tattoos to impress others, but there are other reasons as well e.g. feeling that your body isn't good enough, low self-confidence and the need for (what people might think is) an improvement. These are the issues that need to be mentally tackled by individuals.

Its all about the intentions behind the actions.

Also true. Perhaps because kes-cutting is now considered the norm, society doesn't even think twice about it.

To the original posters, there are many topics on tattoos, hair and nails. There are also many articles on the internet. Like B4ND4 said, do your research, read Gurbani, get a feel of Sikhi.

Huh. So that was a ramble.

I'd agree, its totally MANMAT, because tell me why on earth would u want a tattoo?? Ppl do this to impress others, and to be honest why wud u wanna impress ppl? whY not impress vaheguru instead!

i knw i aint or have no right to judge others, but stil... it doesnt make tattoos and cutting ur beautiful kes right.

vjkk vjkf!!!

Your argument has many faults because all you are saying is people get a tattoo to impress people, which clearly isn't the case with everyone. There are various reasons why someone could get a tattoo. I'm not saying their reasons are right or wrong, but I'm saying I have a problem when people make a blanket statement and put everyone into the same category.

It's just not fair and you can keep shouting "MANMAT" all you want, but a loud voice isn't always a right voice.

this human body weve attained is pricesless and also loaned once we die either this body will be scattered into ashes or will decompose slowly underneath the soil depending on how the funeral is conducted. some people in order to get away from bullying etc get tatoos and piercings done to torture themselves others to impress people, others to fulfill a desire

and some dont touch the human body, theres no worth of us going around telling people what to do as otherwise god wouldnt have given free will, but one quote which keeps coming up again is you reap what you sow.

When We are born, does our body have any tatoos, piercings etc, do we have cut kes?

we dont were born without a peircing on our body, nor do we have tatoos, our kes is on our heads, doesnt that ring a bell maybe god didnt want us to cut kes, get piercings or tatoos

but hey who am i to say anything, mayaa affects me the most so until i cant fix myself up no worth in trying to advise others

When We are born, does our body have any tatoos, piercings etc, do we have cut kes?

we dont were born without a peircing on our body, nor do we have tatoos, our kes is on our heads, doesnt that ring a bell maybe god didnt want us to cut kes, get piercings or tatoos

but hey who am i to say anything, mayaa affects me the most so until i cant fix myself up no worth in trying to advise others

Why do u forget nails in ur above question to urself. Add nails and ask again, you will have the same confusion which the original poster have.

You were never born with so many things u use and wear. Why dont we wander arond naked as we were born naked?

We keep kesh because the Guru told us to do so. Nothing more. Kesh are also a marker of Sikh identity that identify to the world who is a Sikh. Sikhs walk the earth announcing proudly their religion while others give no sign of their convictions. In addition, hair and nails are totally different. Having long nails inhibits use of the hand and is dirty with filth being stuck under the nails as well as bacteria. Long hair is quite healthy as it is even a reflection of good health: (when healthy, hair shines, when sick, it loses luster), it is also not an impediment to daily life. In fact, you'll be healthier if you have long hair: no body resources go to replacing the hair that was cut: isn't it a slap on the face when you shave and then a day later, the hair returns? Maybe it was supposed to be there! Nails, if left uncut, will break; Hair never will

We keep kesh because the Guru told us to do so.

But why? thats what the original poster asking. isn't it?

Nothing more. Kesh are also a marker of Sikh identity that identify to the world who is a Sikh. Sikhs walk the earth announcing proudly their religion while others give no sign of their convictions.

But people still confuse us with muslims. right? Also other religion show signs. I can easily identify muslims and jew. I think they are also proud of their religion. Right?

In addition, hair and nails are totally different.

Thats right!!

Having long nails inhibits use of the hand and is dirty with filth being stuck under the nails as well as bacteria.

That makes perfect sense.

Long hair is quite healthy as it is even a reflection of good health: (when healthy, hair shines, when sick, it loses luster), it is also not an impediment to daily life.

I had many friends who thought hair obstructs them from few normal activities. For example eating food. Mucchha keep on coming in the way. They had to wash and dry hair every week (extra task). They had to put extra work to keep hair tidy and neat....and couple other things.

In fact, you'll be healthier if you have long hair: no body resources go to replacing the hair that was cut:

That exactly can be said about nails, isn't it?

isn't it a slap on the face when you shave and then a day later, the hair returns? Maybe it was supposed to be there!

Thats again not a very good argument as it can be used for nails also. Right?

Nails, if left uncut, will break; Hair never will

Well that just doesn't fit into discussion, everybdy knows nails and hair have different properties. Nobody is proving that nail and hair are the same. Right?

Q: Why Sikhs do not cut their hair but they cut their nails?

A: It is often argued that Sikhs do not cut their hair so why do they cut their nails. Sikhs only cut the dead gray part of their nails, not the alive pink/red part. This is similar to combing and removing dead hair while retaining live hair. Just like we do not cut the pink/red part of our nails, why should we cut our perfectly live and healthy hair?

In addition, hair is not a hindrance to anyone. Because hair can be placed in a bun and kept clean and does perform a number of functions, it is only pragmatic to realize that hair is not bad. On the other hand, having long nails is a hindrance to the body. An individual with long nails cannot functions and do everyday chores comfortably. In order to ensure that one can perform the tasks of everyday life, only the dead part of nails are trimmed.

In addition, whereas the hair grows from a tubular pit (hair follicle), formed by sinking in of the most actively dividing layer of the skin (stratum germinativum) into the lower dermis, the gray part of nails is only modifications of the upper dead layer (stratum corneum). Further, the base of every follicle bulges out forming an inverted cup, which receives blood capillaries for nourishment and nerve fibers to make the hair sensitive. An oil gland, known as sebaceous gland, opens into every hair follicle, the secretion of which lubricates the hair. A muscle is also attached to the base of every hair for bringing about movement. Pigments are added to the shaft of the hair as it grows. None of these features is associated with the dead part of nails.

Structurally, hair is extremely strong, and resists breaking due to its elasticity and flexibility. Strength of hair can be estimated from the following facts, a human hair laid on a bar of steel and then passed through a cold rolling mill would leave an imprint on the face of the steel. A hair of a man’s beard is about as strong as a copper wire of the same dimensions. If a rope were made out of strands of long hair, it would be strong enough to lift an automobile. Dead part of nails, on the other hand, are very brittle and rigid, breaking off easily. Hair are countless (upto 1,25,000 on head region alone), thereby increasing the surface area, as if to meet a specific requirement.

The differences between the two do not end with the structural features. Even the body’s response towards the two is totally different. Our body, throughout life, tries to maintain a particular length of hair. And if the hair is cut anywhere, the body responds by growing it again to the specific length. It clearly indicates the link of the body with the hair all along its length. The body shows no such response to the nails, which grow from birth to death at the same rate, irrespective of whether cut or not. It follows, thus, that cutting of the dead part of nails does not tell on the body at all, whereas, cutting of hair puts extra load on the body. To sum up, if there is anything on the head that can be compared with the dead part of nails, it is either dandruff or dead hair which are removed by combing!

Nature knows best what to discard or retain. Whatever is retained is not without purpose. Hair is a gift from God, not a burden. Guru Gobind Singh Ji, in his infinite wisdom, commanded us to respect hair and refrain from tampering with it. This is the visible token of his affection for us, as well as our faith in him.

source

the only reason nails keep growing is to replace them when they break off - hair keeps growing until it reaches it's natural length.