Beating Your Kids

Punjabi_Link

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did sikh gurus said anything about beating your kids being okay? I mean, is it allowed in Sikhi? Did sikh gurus used to beat their kids?

seems like your parents beat you up...thats why this question?! :D j/k

Do you think our Gurus who were spreading the message of love to the world would beat up their own kids?... :s

theres a story that when guru nanak went out to buy food supplies for the family with money given by his father...returns empty handed bcuz he gave all the food to the poor ....got a goood butt whooping by pops

lol

I think Guru sahib jee was about to be hit by his dad but was saved by guru jees sister??

theres a story that when guru nanak went out to buy food supplies for the family with money given by his father...returns empty handed bcuz he gave all the food to the poor ....got a goood butt whooping by pops

lol

I think Guru sahib jee was about to be hit by his dad but was saved by guru jees sister??

Maharaj ji did the sacha sauda and came back home...Mehta Kalu ji, his father, questioned him "How did you invest your money Nanak?"...Maharaj ji said "I used it to prepare food for the sadhus"...His father got mad at him and slapped Maharaj ji...Bebe Nanaki ji loved Maharaj ji a lot...So she came in and saved Maharaj ji from getting beaten up further...Thinking about that...I think our Maharaj ji were very cute as a kid...haha...

Did sikh gurus said anything about beating your kids being okay? I mean, is it allowed in Sikhi? Did sikh gurus used to beat their kids?

seems like your parents beat you up...thats why this question?! :D j/k

Do you think our Gurus who were spreading the message of love to the world would beat up their own kids?... :s

I created this thread because there is a thread about getting beats from your parents under "fun, articles, news" section. People there are just talking about how they got beats from their parents and having a laugh about it. So I wanted to know if Sikhi says anything about this issue.

Beatings for boys is generally a good thing if done correctly (i.e. not trying to knock the kid out) and for the right reason (i.e. not because they accidentally spilt something).

One of the reasons I thinks kids run rampant in the UK is because their parents don't discipline them when required.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

If any of you are parents, you will know why a parent beats a child. It is because you are angry. That is a chorr in Sikhism.

A parent NEVER beats a child because they think it will discipline them, that is a justification after the event. It is purely because they have failed to prevent the child misbheaving, or because they have lost it in the heat of the moment.

Imagine you are a manager at work and a worker is forever doing Sickies, spends half the time in the tea-room, having a <admin-profanity filter activated>, browsing the internet (oops)! Well, do you lose your patience and beat them or do you reason with them or bring in othe rdisciplinary measures? Why should your own child suffer physical punishment and pain?

Remember people, physical action is a last resort in Sikhi, be that in a regional crisis or personal one, and onyl to be used for Waheguru's justice.

To clarify, beatings are necessary only for bad parents (where they have failed to prevent bad beahviour in their kids, or to control them earlier), and it refelcts badly on their abilities to communicate with their child. They have not taught their child right from wrong, but have taught them that you can intimidate and scare the weak usign physical force. If you have any doubt about this, note that physically abusive behaviour is passed on from generation to generation. And of course, the odd clip round the ear-hole is not the same level as systematic physical abuse, but it's the tip of teh iceberg that thnakfully most people never fall down!

Imagine you are a manager at work and a worker is forever doing Sickies, spends half the time in the tea-room, having a <admin-profanity filter activated>, browsing the internet (oops)! Well, do you lose your patience and beat them or do you reason with them or bring in othe rdisciplinary measures? Why should your own child suffer physical punishment and pain?
Not a good example. There is a BIG difference in maturity levels of a child and that of an adult

Papi Ji, not pickign in your comments today (besides, I don't get personal!) but maybe to some, there is a big difference to how much respect they show to fellow workers compared to their children, even if they don't realise it.

Before anyone thinks I am anti-hitting cos I was beatn and I hold a grudge against my folks, for example, then not true. I was hardly given beatings. It was not really a feature. The threat was enough for me and the thought of upsettign my parents!

Children should be taught to empathise and sympathise with their peers and their elders.

And I agree with an earlier poster that unless you have direct experience of small children in you household, i.e. as a discipliner; or unless you have particular child psychology skills, then you really are not qualified to contribute constructively in this debate.

And, anyway, what DOES Sikhi say about smacking children. Probably nothing directly. A child brought up from first instincts in a Sikhi way should not need physical punishment for discipline.