Muslim Follower Of The Guru

abdus-salaam

I am a Muslim who has come to the conclusion that Guru Nanak was a messenger of God. I am not ready (at least now) to become a Sikh, so I would like to learn more about the Muslims who ( I have heard) lived with, followed, and even fought alongside the Gurus. If anyone could give me any information on this, or at least point me to it, it would be much appreciated; this will be a strange road at least for now, as many Muslims would consider this apostasy, and I'd like to know about others who have done it. I have also asked at a couple other Sikh sites and they have been helpful, and asked a couple of Sikh friends, but the more I can discover, the better.

abdus-salaam

There are many Muslims who have entered the Sikh fold:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=184534737

But seeing as apostasy in Islam is punishable by death, not many are public about it.

The most famous Muslim who is associated with the Sikh Gurus is Bhai Mardana, the Rabab player who accompanied Guru Nanak on his travels.

Others include several Nawabs (eg the Nawab of Marlekotla), Sufis and Pathan mercenaries. And of course Emperor Akbar ate Langar with the Sikhs.

There are many more...

Good luck on your journey brother.

Sallam and Gurfateh to the origional poster,

Just thought i d wish you well on ur journey in finding god, although im not sure i know any people who folllow sikhi from an Islamic Background, but my Dear brother Mehtab Singh is very knowlegeble on this subject as he was orginionally from a Hindhu background before coming into Sikhi and im sure he will offer you some great advice and guidence.......

Gud Luck

:s

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Pir_Budhu_Shah

Peer Buddhu Shah

From SikhiWiki

(Redirected from Pir Budhu Shah)

Jump to: navigation, search

Peer Buddhu Shah(1647 - 1704), a Muslim divine whose real name was Badr udDIn and who was an admirer of Guru Gobind Singh, was born on 13 June 1647 in a prosperous Sayyid family of Sadhaura, in presentday Ambala district of Haryana. Because of his simplicity and silent nature during his early childhood he was given the nickname of Buddhu (lit. simpleton) which stuck to him permanently. He was married at the age of 18 to a pious lady, Nasirari aka Bibi Naseera, who was the sister of Said Khan, later a highranking officer in the Mughal army. It is not certain how Buddhu Shah first became acquainted with Guru Gobind Singh, but it is recorded that he called on him in 1685 at Paonta, on the bank of the Yamuna. At his recommendation, the Guru engaged 500 Pathan soldiers under the command of four leaders, Kale Khan, Bhikhan Khan, Nijabat Khan and Hayat Khan. In 1688, when Guru Gobind Singh was attacked by a combined force of the hill chiefs led by Raja Fateh Shah of Srinagar (Garhval), all the Pathans with the exception of Kale Khan deserted him and joined the hill monarch. The Guru conveyed the news of the treachery to Pir Buddhu Shah, who immediately rushed to Bharigani, the battlefield, with 700 of his followers, including his brother and four sons. Many of the Pir's disciples as well as two of his sons, Ashraf and Muhammad Shah, and his brother, Bhure Shah, fell in the action. After the battle Guru Gobind Singh offered rich presents to the Pir which the latter politely declined to accept. However he, as the tradition goes, begged the Guru to bestow upon him the comb from his hair and the turban he was going to tie. The Guru gave him the two articles and a small kirpan or sword which the Pir and his descendants kept in the family as sacred heirlooms until Maharaja Bharpur Singh of Nabha (184063) acquired them in exchange for ajagir or land grant. The relics are still preserved in the family's palace at Nabha (in the Punjab). The Rajput chiefs defeated at Bharigani remained hostile towards Guru Gobind Singh, and wished to evict him from Anandpur to where he had returned. To solicit help from the imperial government, they sent to the emperor reports describing the Guru as a dangerous rebel. Complaints also reached the authority against Pir Buddhu Shah who had rendered assistance to the Guru. The Faujdar of Sirhind, under whose jurisdiction the parganah ofSadhaura then fell, directed a local official, 'Usman Khan, to chastise the Pir. The latter marched on Sadhaura, arrested Buddhu Shah and had him executed on 21 March 1704. Banda Singh Bahadur avenged the Pir's execution in 1709 by storming Sadhaura and killing 'Usman Khan. Pir Buddhu Shah's descendants migrated to Pakistan in 1947. Their ancestral house in Sadhaura has since been converted into a gurdwara named after Pir Buddhu Shah.

References

1. Suri, V.S., and Gurcharan Singh, Pir Buddhu Shah. Chandigarh, 1971

2. Harbans Singh, Guru Gobind Singh. Chandigarh, 1966

3. Macauliffe, Max Arthur, The Sikh Religion. Oxford, 1909

4. Khushwant Singh, A History of the Sikhs, vol. I, Princeton, 1963

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

my Dear brother Mehtab Singh is very knowlegeble on this subject as he was orginionally from a Hindhu background before coming into Sikhi and im sure he will offer you some great advice and guidence.......
Don't listen to her tongue.gif . She is too sweet and thinks everyone is an angel :D .

Welcome to Sikh Sangat brother abdus-salaam. We sincerely hope you are here with a genuine urge to learn about Sikhi. I say this because in the past we've had some who came claiming to be genuine, but turned out to have other colors and shades later on. Hopefully you are a genuine seeker :s

Having said that, lets start out by some introspection. What does Gurujee say about Muslims in the first place?

Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Maajh on Ang 140

sloku mÚ 1 ]

salok ma 1 ||

Salok, First Mehla:

imhr msIiq isdku muslw hku hlwlu kurwxu ]

mihar maseeth sidhak musalaa hak halaal kuraan ||

Let mercy be your mosque, faith your prayer-mat, and honest living your Koran.

srm suMniq sIlu rojw hohu muslmwxu ]

saram su(n)nath seel rojaa hohu musalamaan ||

Make modesty your circumcision, and good conduct your fast. In this way, you shall be a true Muslim.

krxI kwbw scu pIru klmw krm invwj ]

karanee kaabaa sach peer kalamaa karam nivaaj ||

Let good conduct be your Kaabaa, Truth your spiritual guide, and the karma of good deeds your prayer and chant.

qsbI sw iqsu BwvsI nwnk rKY lwj ]1]

thasabee saa this bhaavasee naanak rakhai laaj ||1||

Let your rosary be that which is pleasing to His Will. O Nanak, God shall preserve your honor. ||1||

Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Maajh on Ang 141

sloku mÚ 1 ]

salok ma 1 ||

Salok, First Mehla:

muslmwxu khwvxu musklu jw hoie qw muslmwxu khwvY ]

musalamaan kehaavan musakal jaa hoe thaa musalamaan kehaavai ||

It is difficult to be called a Muslim; if one is truly a Muslim, then he may be called one.

Avil Aauil dInu kir imTw mskl mwnw mwlu muswvY ]

aval aoul dheen kar mit(h)aa masakal maanaa maal musaavai ||

First, let him savor the religion of the Prophet as sweet; then, let his pride of his possessions be scraped away.

hoie musilmu dIn muhwxY mrx jIvx kw Brmu cukwvY ]

hoe musalim dheen muhaanai maran jeevan kaa bharam chukaavai ||

Becoming a true Muslim, a disciple of the faith of Mohammed, let him put aside the delusion of death and life.

rb kI rjwie mMny isr aupir krqw mMny Awpu gvwvY ]

rab kee rajaae ma(n)nae sir oupar karathaa ma(n)nae aap gavaavai ||

As he submits to God's Will, and surrenders to the Creator, he is rid of selfishness and conceit.

qau nwnk srb jIAw imhrMmiq hoie q muslmwxu khwvY ]1]

tho naanak sarab jeeaa mihara(n)math hoe th musalamaan kehaavai ||1||

And when, O Nanak, he is merciful to all beings, only then shall he be called a Muslim. ||1||

I have personally met a Singh in Dubai who used to be Muslim.

Here are some more...

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Ghani_Khan

Guru ki maseet: http://www.info-sikh.com/MassPage1.html

And another response to your same question you posted on Sikhnet :D

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....33;OpenDocument

Wa Alaykum Salaam

Thanks for your responses. I recently found Robert Bly's translations of Kabir's poetry and have been reading them, they are very beautiful masha'allah. I also read the links and sections of SGGS and found it all very helpful, thank you all and god bless. You have my word, I am sincere and not out to convert Sikhs to Islam or cause trouble or anything like that; I'm a grown man, and don't engage in that kind of foolishness.

Unfortunately I speak very little Arabic. I only speak English, Spanish and some Chinese.