Recipes

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^Hey Bibi MPKaur ji can the 'egg by banana' replacement work for omeletes too?? I miss my omeletes : (.

ps: Please give the non indian recipes too. Indian food is for freshies anyways : )

I don't think you can use banana for omelete however you can use tofu coz i use tofu (not the firm one) as a replacement for scramble eggs. The thing with omelette is that the finishing product resemble a pancake (one piece) so i doubt tofu would work. But sramble tofu is delicious tongue.gif

I have adapted some indian sabji idea with the stew idea (replacing meat with a can of red beans).

So here it goes:

Saute about 4-5 garlic, then add

1 onion

Saute for a while (not as long as indian cooking!)

Then add a bit of tomato sauce if desired ( or paste)

add turmeric (haldi), salt, black pepper, vegetable broth or basil and oregano (here any spices can be use, it depends on taste)

Add 2 carrots (chopped

Add water cover well over the carrots, let cook for about 15 min.

Add a can of red beans and 1 big potato (2 if small). Add more water to cover it up (some more coz water evaporates)

Let cook for another 20 min. until potatoes are cook.

It should be pretty consistent like a stew (but not like a soup)

It takes about 30 min. to make and just make sure you stir once and a while so it does stick at the bottom

I serve it with garlic bread (a favorite in my house tongue.gif )

I'll post other recipe later...

^^^Hey Bibi MPKaur ji can the 'egg by banana' replacement work for omeletes too?? I miss my omeletes : (.

ps: Please give the non indian recipes too. Indian food is for freshies anyways : )

And therefore indian food would suit u perfectly. :D

Don't deny it tongue.gif

Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

Things You'll Need

• 1 cup flour (white spelt)

• 1/3 cup of cooking oil

• 1/4 cup maple syrup (pure)

• 1 tsp. vanilla extract

• 1/4 tsp. salt

• 1/4 tsp. baking soda

• 1/3 cup chocolate chips or chocolate bar (chopped into pieces)

• 1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Steps

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.

2. Mix in the wet ingredients: maple, oil, and vanilla extract in a bowl.

3. Stir in the rest of the dry ingredients: flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.

4 .Mix in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips into the cookie dough.

5. Place teaspoonfuls of cookie dough on cookie sheet (greased with oil) or (non-stick) cookie sheet.

6. Bake in preheat oven at 350 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes.

7. After baking, allow the cookies to cool at least 5 minutes if they are too soft.

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Equipment:

1 Muffin tins and paper liners

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup baking cocoa

2 teaspoons instant coffee

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup soy milk

1/2 cup canola oil

2 tablespoons soy yogurt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.

In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour through salt).

In a seperate bowl, wisk together wet ingredients (soy milk through yogurt) until emulsified.

Pour wet into dry and combine until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill muffin tins almost to the top. Bake 18 - 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

How to Make a Chocolate Cake

Are you looking to make a delicious chocolate cake? There are so many variations, it might be difficult to choose a single recipe. Here's a simple one to get you started, along with several variations to suit the occasion.

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 c. flour

• 1 c. sugar

• 1/2 tsp. salt

• 1 tsp. baking soda

• 3 tbsp. cocoa

• 1 tbsp. vinegar

• 6 tbsp. oil

• 1 tsp. vanilla

• 1 c. water

Steps

1. Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa).

2. Stir in the liquid ingredients (vinegar, oil, vanilla, water).

3. Pour the mixture into an 8 inch greased and floured round pan.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.

5. Let the cake cool.

6. Frost as desired.

FROSTING

• 5-6 tbsp. milk (divided)

• 1/2 c. (1 stick) softened butter

• 3 c. sifted powdered sugar (divided)

• 1 tsp. vanilla extract

• 2/3 c. baking cocoa

Step One

Beat 1 cup of the powdered sugar, 2 tbsp. of the milk and the cocoa, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until creamy. Start mixing on low speed so you don't create a huge gust of sugar and cocoa powder.

Step Two

Gradually beat in remaining sugar and milk until smooth.

*For eggs you can use two tablespoons of yogurt soy or regular OR you can use organic egg replacement that you can buy at the local grocery store.

Chocolate brownies…

• 60 g all-purpose flour (plain)

• 355 ml water

• 170 g butter

• 85 g unsweetened cocoa powder

• 600 g caster sugar

• 8 ml vanilla extract

• 375 g all-purpose flour (plain)

• 15 g baking powder

• 5 g salt

• 100 g chopped walnuts or choc chips ( I usually use the white ones – makes a nice contrast

with the darkness of the brownies) or sultanas etc this ingredient is optional and you can mix and match as well

first off pre heat your oven to 175 degrees C and grease a 9x13 inch baking tray, make sure it’s a deep baking pan because the brownies will rise

place the 60g of flour in a saucepan, add the 355mls of water and stir on a medium heat. Keep mixing until it has formed a smooth thick paste…remove from heat and place to the side to cool down and pour into a big mixing bowl

in another saucepan melt the 170g of butter remove from heat and add the 85g of cocoa, mix it until it’s all smooth

then add the sugar and vanilla essence into the cooled mixture of flour and water that you prepared 1st

then add the cocoa and butter mixture

then add the 375g of flour, baking powder and salt

mix all the ingredients together well, and add any optional ingredients such as choc chips

pour mixture into baking tray, spread evenly, note mixture is quite thick but it’s all good, should not be runny

place in oven and should be ready in about 20-25 mins (do the tooth pick test – i.e. insert tooth pick into middle if it comes out clean then brownies are made)

remove from oven and allow to cool

when cooled you can pour melted chocolate on top and spread or use a chocolate icing - again optional

cut the brownies into squares and enjoy!!

*it is ideal to sift all the flour, cocoa powder sugar etc as to avoid lumps!

** also it is ideal to convert the 5g of salt and 15g of baking powder to teaspoons as it’s easier to measure out

***note brownies can be kept in fridge for about a week or so

****also if you think they’re a bit “chewy” it’s normal, brownies are not like traditional softer sponge cakes

I baked these the other week for AkaalSeva-EL when he blessed me at home with his darshan d_oh.gif , so you can ask him if they were any good! :D

Peach Cobbler

Another easy pudding thing to make is peach cobbler, if you’re not a fan of peaches you can substitute them for another fruit! You can use fresh or tinned fruit…

Ingredients

• 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, melted

• 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided

• 1 cup all-purpose flour (plain)

• 2 teaspoons baking powder

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1 cup milk

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 3 to 4 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, thinly sliced

• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 375°.

Melt the butter

Pour melted butter into 11x7 or 8-inch square baking dish - deep clay one is the best

In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the sugar, 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt; mix to blend.

Stir in 1cup milk and vanilla until blended.

Pour the batter over the melted butter.

Toss the peaches with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.

Arrange the peach slices over the batter.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or do toothpick test

When checking in on your cobbler it might look like nothing is going to come of it but don’t worry, just put it back in the oven a bit longer.

The top should be browned and the cake will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Serve warm with a little whipped topping, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

anyone got any 'healthier' veggie snack options - or pack lunch options lol - getting sick of taking cheese sandwiches almost everyday to college...

Mixed beans salad

you'll need:

1 can of mixed beans

1/4 of an onion (or 2-3 green onions)

1/2 red pepper, chopped (or yellow or green, depends on your taste)

1/2 big carrot, grated

olive oil (extra virgin and cold pressed)

apple cider vinegar (tastier and much healthier than white vinegar)

pinch of garlic powder

pinch of salt

(you can add any other spice or herb that you like)

Open the can of beans and rinse throughly.

Put them in a mixing bowl,

Add all the ingredients

(for the olive oil and apple cider it's about half half, i don't know how much exactly, coz i just pour out of the bottle without measuring but you need to make the salad wet and there should be a bit left after you eat the whole salad, go to your taste, I like one part oil and one part apple cider but some people prefer having more oil than apple cider, go to taste).

Mixed everything and refrigerate.

Serve with some form of bread (multi grain is the best tongue.gif )

Enjoy!

Mixed veggies and tofu salad

you'll need:

1 1/2 cup of mixed frozen veggies (mixed of peas, carrots, green beans and corn)

1/3 to 1/2 of a brick of firm tofu, cut in small cubs

1/4 to 1/2 onion, chopped (or couple of green onions)

olive oil

apple cider vinegar

pinch of garlic powder

pinch of salt (sea salt is a healthier alternative)

Cook the veggies before hand and let cool down.

When room temperature, add tofu and onions.

Then add the olive oil and apple cider vinegar (same as the recipe above go to taste), salt and garlic and any other herbs you might want.

Mixed and refrigerate

Serve with bread.

Enjoy!

It's so easy to prepare any of these salads the night before and pack some in a container in the morning before you go.