Simran

Bundha

Have you ever noticed that whenever you sit down to do a little paath or simran first of all your mind will slip a little reason in your head for not to do it. It maybe just a feeling of not wanting to do paath, or you may want to do something else or you try to push the thought of paath right out of your head. This is your mind under the influence of the panj chore. Many will question the existence of the panj but they are real and active and they reside in your body, so you must learn to deal with them if you want to progress spiritually.

The more you pander to them, them more powerful they grow. On the other hand if you concentrate on the panj opposing panj then they will grow stronger, whoever is strong controls the mind and ultimately your soul. If you have spread Dhaya or Nimarta in your mind then Kaam, Krodh cannot enter, if Hunkaar is dominant then the 5 sant have no place to sit and are pushed out.

when you start your paath, and inevitably one of the chore rears its ugly head then you can be sure that all the paaths benefit will go to it, because he was in your mind and controlling it while you did your paath then he claims the paath and takes it, you end up with nothing. As happens many times in the untrained on unawares mind, Kaam will come and create bad thoughts in your mind, before you know it you have finished your paath and you think “have I done it?” amazingly as soon as you finish and get up all those bad thoughts disappear. Same with Krodh, if you do simran with krodh in your mind then he will take all the benefit.

So how to sort this out?

Firstly, when you sit down, address the panj chore in your mind. Tell them that this is paath time and they must leave you alone for its duration. Mentally draw a circle around you and tell them that they cannot pass into it. In the beginning they will of course not listen and most people will give up quickly thinking this sounds really silly. But those who persevere will find that soon they will follow your command. First slowly and for short periods, then for longer and longer periods they will stay away and all the benefit will be yours, also your concentration will improve and you will actually feel you have done some paath.

Next always be aware and be on your guard when doing your paath, as soon as any thoughts enter your mind, stop and mentally warn them off, bring your attention back to your simran and resume your paath. These chore are very cunning so be on your guard. They will try different tactics. One is to start saying bad things about the Gurus and all of a sudden you are confronted with a vile thought in your head which sends you reeling, how did that get in my head ? Again warn them off and ask forgiveness for such thoughts. You must be strong mentally to progress.

There are other techniques you can use but I think may not be appropriate here, the above maybe too much for some.

As we all know, everything we do is written down and used in evidence in a court of law, in this case the ultimate court of law – Gods. Now think, every time you do mutha-take it is noted and written down. Say one does 10 mutha-takes a day. That is approx 3,500 a year or 35, 000 over ten years. When we are dragged infront of Dharam Raja, at least they will say this guy/gall did 35,000 mutha-takes to Guru sahib Ji – got to count for something, and lets face it we will need all the help we can get.

I've also found that my mind wanders onto Sikhi related topics whilst attempting simran.

Is this part of the panj chore?

Sometimes my mind will wander and think about some of Guru Ji's sakhis and instead of simran, I'm thinking about these things instead. I don't know if it's bad since I'm thinking about Guru Ji's actions but it takes me away from simran.

I've also found that my mind wanders onto Sikhi related topics whilst attempting simran.

Is this part of the panj chore?

Sometimes my mind will wander and think about some of Guru Ji's sakhis and instead of simran, I'm thinking about these things instead. I don't know if it's bad since I'm thinking about Guru Ji's actions but it takes me away from simran.

There is a saying in Buddhism that in Meditation even if your Guru came in a vision and stood before you, brush him/her aside and continue your meditation.

It is controversial whether one should light a ghee walli jyote when doing simran, if you don’t want to do it fair enough. In the old days when there was no elec and all had devay, one would only bring out a ghee walla deva when someone really special was coming to your house. The jyote you light in the morning when you do simran is to signify that you are anticipating some one really really special in your house – Guru Ji. So, if you feel you want to do this, then that is great.

Once you have finished your paath/simran it is very important that you do ardaas.

Just think of it as having a chest of precious jewels, if you do not shut the lid and put on a lock then anyone can help themselves to the treasure. In the same way it is really important to do ardaas and get Guru Sahib ji’s Mohar stamped on your simran.

Do ardaas, first ask for forgiveness for all the akhaar that have been spoken incorrectly when reciting Gurbani, then ask for forgivness of all the times your mind wondered off.

What should be remembered is that AkaalPurk is not only Hazzar Nazzar but also Antarjammi, they know your thoughts before you do, so there is no point in hiding anything from Him. You may hide things from your mother/father, or from your husband/wife or even from a close friend but not from Guru sahib Ji, so don’t try as then you are trying to do a little “hay-ra fay-ri” with your father and that is not good. So, ask forgiveness of all the times your mind wondered off, then say that in the last 8 Pehar (24 hours) I did such a such thing wrong etc please forgive me, almost like a confession, and you will be forgiven. This way you are not creating any new karams (as all wrong doings are being forgiven as you do them) and you are working your way through your present/past karam. This is important because if you have any karam left over at the end of your life or you have added new ones then you have to come back and work them through.

Once small point is that we all place our woes at Guru Ji’s feet, we all plead for this, that and the other – which is okay as He is our father and if we cannot ask Him for anything then who are we going to ask? – but sometimes, just thank Him. Just say how good He is to you, how lovely He keeps you, how beautiful He is, how wonderful He is………………………and Guru Ji is surely to smile over you..

Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh

Bundha veerji, very nice post. I could learn a thing or two by your admiration for guru sahib. And I couldnt agree more with the fact that we have to control our mind when doing simran and fight the punj choor all the way. I believe Guruji says:

Veechar mareh tareh taareh ult joon nah aveh

I myself have many problem with forneh (thoughts) but with gurukirpa aim to put a stop to them so we can move on and get to Naam and achieve mukhti and then ultimately keep moving forward to one day talk to Vaheguruji. That brings me to the point of what you said about going to dharam raja>

As we all know, everything we do is written down and used in evidence in a court of law, in this case the ultimate court of law – Gods. Now think, every time you do mutha-take it is noted and written down. Say one does 10 mutha-takes a day. That is approx 3,500 a year or 35, 000 over ten years. When we are dragged infront of Dharam Raja, at least they will say this guy/gall did 35,000 mutha-takes to Guru sahib Ji – got to count for something, and lets face it we will need all the help we can get.

We need to obtain salvation before we die as gurbani teaches us. When we die we need to show the parvana (visa) of Naam to the punj dhoot when they come to get us when we die. If at this point we have not obtained Naam from Satguruji while we were still alive, then all that awaits us is the beatings from the jams and then dharam raja will judge us in the court and we will be given a next life of some being depending on which gun (satogun, rajogun, tamogun) we have spent our swaas in the most. If we get Naam from Satguruji by doing simran while we are still alive then dharam raja himself is summoned to tear up the accounts of all that we have done in the past and we are given a true 'clean slate' and we are free from the cycle of life and death.

So I suppose my point overall is that we have to kill our veechar/forneh/thoughts and get to the stage of Naam at least to obtain the true happiness of mahraaji.

I know very little bani, and may have said something wrong. I mean no offense to anyone and just intended to share my views on the topic. Bhul Chuk Maaf.