Controlling The Mind

besoft

This is a problem for all the seekers. It is thought that it is an appropriate place to discuss the techniques and methods of controlling the mind so that one can concemtrate.It is requested that those who have practised this may kindly throw light on this.Gurbani has stated that it is very difficult to control it.It is HIS grace that can be helpful but we should also make some efforts.

Members who have practised this may kindly guide.

vjkk vjkf

With gurukirpa I am currently in the process of trying to control my mind, as in, beating the forneh/veechar/thoughts that enter the mind and make the mind wonder all over the place.

At the moment I am very far away from accomplishing this becuase I still have a lot of forneh at this stage. But Simran is the only way to control this. We have to keep concentrating our mind as much on the sound of our own voice saying the vaheguru shabad.

The punj choor will try their best to keep throwing the forneh to you to make the mind wonder but we have to fight them off and conentrate only on the shabad. Slowly but surely I hav full faith in guruji that if we keep putting the effort in that the forneh will decrease and eventually stop at which point we can move to further levels in our spirituality.

I may have said something wrong, i mean no offence, like i said, i am still learning and practicing, bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru jee ka Khalsa!!!!! Waheguru jee kee Fateh!!!!

Question is how to control the mind? .........I am by no means a expert on this topic... my knowledge is limited to my guru's

grace upon me....

like all topics of discussion i think the first task is to tackle is to understand the problem

and its variables... the mind is product of our experiences; current and past.... past

environments & influences are not limited to this janam or birth.... thus it is very difficult to

comprehend as we do not realize what paap we have been exposed to and what sins we have

committed... because each of us are individual..... we all have a different point of reference or

start point... some of us have come from janams-births which are filled with bhagati-simran and

other are unfortunate enough to have no exposure to waheguru thus this is our karam Only

wahegurus grace can bring us together true creator... guru nanak dev jee express this in jupji

sahib :" karmi apoh apni keh nereh keh doore"... arth that it is our individual karm that we are

closer or further from waheguru....

guru jee also says that "mun jeeteh jug jeet".. arth " if you can win your mind then you can win this world" ... so becuase

the mind is a product of our environments and karam. gurbani describes the mind as as a

un-harnessed wild horse - unpredictable and hard to saddle ... people who have knowledge of wild

animals especially horses know that you must first place a bit in the mouth of animal and attach

reins to it in this way you can have control of it. when it goes out of line you pull the reins

and which gives pain to its mouth and in this way the horse learns to associate disobedience with

pain... once the horse gets used to the bit you must now saddle it so that the rider can take control

of it. my understanding is that guru jee sugguests; on the mind's horse we should use the saddle

of preet-(love for guru and truth), the "bit" of santokh-patience and reins of naam(the reputation and concentration on

wahegurus name) and in this way ....we should harness the mind...

the single ultimate goal of sikh is that is to become one with waheguru. ... the conciousness of

bhram gyan (the knowledge of the creator). In sukhmani sahib... dhan dhan guru arjan dev jee

expresses a simple but difficult chemisty of reaching bhram gyan... guru jee states "mun sucha..

mukh sucha soheh.. avar na behkeh ekis bin koi... nanak eh lushan bhram gyani hoyeh' ..... arth

... "a true mind (unblemished with paap.. pure thinking)... truthful buchan from the mouth (the

act of practicing truth-simran and speaking truth of waheguru).... and the search of the one true

waheguru.... and with these characteristics and actions one becomes a bhram gyani (exposure to

waheguru's realm) .....

.... the single largest obstacale that stands in the way of you and waheguru is homeh-ego. ego

tells you, your thinking is supreme to others... you are better than others..... and nothing can stop

you because your on top of the world... this is the description of a munmukh... as long as there is hungehta-homeh-ego in our

minds there is a separation between us and waheguru.... guru jee says

that "waheguru gurmanter ha jup homeh kovehi" ...arth.. "the word waheguru is a magical incantation

which robs you of homeh-ego" that if one want to destroy homeh -munmukh thinking .... simply do

simran, on the magical incantation of word waheguru".... simple arth of the gurmanter of waheguru is god is awesome in his

"

being... with the repetion of the waheguru gurmanter we accept god as the greater..... " homeh naam varood ha doeh na vaseh ek

thahee"... arth that "ego and the true name of god are enemies and do not exist in the same spot".....

...when i see people in sinsar-world i find that two unique differnces in thinking of people who love waheguru (ones who have

harnessed their mind's mustang) and people who ride the world's waves and forget even the thought of grasping the

reins of their minds)... gurmukhs accept one thing which whips the mind into realization .... that

is accepting death.... now please dont think that i am advocating suicide or something ... this

is far from my direction of this observation...

accepting death means that one realises that death is an inevitable part of life... a person who

accepts death as true and living is false is the person who realises how to live... one who

accepts that time is becoming shorter every second that passes, knows how to grasp that second and

live truthfully.... the one who accepts life as truth and death is never going to come to them

... will not only waste that moment in sin and paap... this thinking will result in loss of many

janams and lives before the realization comes to being that this world is simply a dream and

soon you will awake to reality of your true place as a part of waheguru..... for guru gobind singh jee says

" har harjun deo ek ha bib bichar kush nahee" jul teh upjeo tranjeo jul hee bikeh sumayeh" arth

that " waheguru and his servant become one and no distinction is present between the two... as air

bubble rises in water and as it ascends to top of water it bursts and the lining of water that defines the

bubble dissipates into one another... remember H2O that air is 1 part of water and hydrogen is 2

parts.... when to many oxygen particles attach them selves together they create an bubble .... and when the bubble bursts the

oxygen and hydrogen particles readjust to the h2o combination just and simply create water...... we are like that anomily and too

many oxygen particles(homeh) keep us from chemical compound waheguru (water).... (sorry for going on like that i though it was

an interesting anology....lol)

if you want to control your mind i hope my little thinking assists you on your journey...only thing one can really do is to simply

do ardass in front of waheguru and hope that the preet that you have done that

ardass... waheguru has tarse (pity) on you that he grants you closeness to him. their is nothing beyond waheguru...

and he is everything you see and feel

Thank you sister for taking out time and detailing out the techniques in a scientific and very effective manner. I do not think another reply is required.However, as the topic is of fair interest to all, let the thread continue. Thanks once again for nice coverage that was indeed extensive.

Regards