Castro Resigns!

Heera Singh

I just simply like the fact that this guy stood up to forces infinitely larger and more powerful than him.....and survived.

Any Singh has to respect that. I'm sure he is not perfect but which leader is..... Bush? Blair?

His association of the Che Guevera puts him in good company. The guy has heart. At least someone tried to stand up to imperialism.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His association of the Che Guevera puts him in good company.

Castro didnt want Che in cuba any more because he was too powerful a personality that he threatened Castros power. so Castro sent him to Bolivia and stopped sending him support, and that is were he died, after Che's death Castro made him a national hero.

its easy to make these characters into hero's but is it really right to take away the personal freedoms of others as castro did in cuba. if any one says anything against Castro they are thown in jail!

yes cubas health care system is alright (the popualtions health is on par with the USA) but thats only cuz the doctors arnt aloud to leave the country but they would if they could. taxi drivers are one of the most coveted jobs there because they drive for foreigners same with prostitution.

would anybody on this forum honestly want to live in cuba instead of the us, uk, or canada?

Castro did okay with cuba, but he was still as corrupt as other communist leaders. Cuba lives in poverty, even though they have a good medical system. The problem stems from the fact that most cubans living in Cuba like Castro, yet he gets negative publicity from the cubans that left Cuba (obviously).

Interesting fact, Castro can be considered an incredibly lucky guy. He averaged one assasination attempt per moth for the past 50 years.

i hate the patriot act, its a piece or crap. but you know what i can say anything i want about the patriot act and i will not be thrown in jail or killed by firing squad like many dissidents in cuba have been.

have thousands of people not been killed and/or jailed by castros government because they did not support castro? have thousands of people not died trying to escape from cuba? answer these questions truthfull and dont say something like "america has killed hundreds too" because this isnt about how bad america is its about how bad castro is.

and for the record i do hope america does lift the embargo on cuba it would be benificial to both countries, its rediculas that america trades with china and not cuba. but the problem is the ex cuban voting block is to powerful.

ps i love your cheer squad :@

pss che was from Argentina not bolivia

what was the polemic of the documentary you watched about che cuz i watched one that was pretty unbiased about castro and it said that him and che had some friction when they were both in the cuban government and thisled to che leaving

Raul Castro named Cuban president

Raul Castro has been unanimously selected to succeed his brother Fidel as leader by Cuba's National Assembly.

Fidel Castro stepped down last week after nearly half a century in charge.

Raul has in effect been president since Fidel had major surgery in July 2006. It is understood that he was the only nominee in a vote seen as a formality.

But the real shock was when he chose 78-year-old Politburo hardliner Machado Ventura as vice-president, says the BBC's Michael Voss in Havana.

The commander in chief of the Cuban revolution is unique, Fidel is Fidel, as we all know well, he is irreplaceable

Raul Castro

There had been speculation that Raul Castro, aged 76, would name one of Cuba's younger generation of communist leaders as his number two.

But he instead opted for one of the original leaders of Cuba's communist revolution.

What this means for the prospects for change remains unclear, our correspondent says.

Economic challenge

In an address to the nation, following the behind-closed-doors vote, Raul Castro said the Cuban government would continue to consult Fidel Castro, 81, on major decisions of state - a move backed by the National Assembly deputies.

Raul Castro paid tribute to his brother as he accepted the presidency saying:

"The commander in chief of the Cuban revolution is unique, Fidel is Fidel, as we all know well, he is irreplaceable."

Our correspondent says Raul Castro now has to steer the Caribbean island through un-charted waters in an unpredictable period of economic and political renewal.

Before Sunday's session, Raul Castro had suggested implementing major economic reforms and "structural changes".

He has worked to ensure a smooth political transition, keeping the army loyal to the regime and strengthening the Communist Party's hold by introducing reforms and weeding out corrupt officials.

He has also had the advantage of continued economic support from Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez in the form of millions of barrels of cheap oil, our correspondent adds.

Letter announcement

Fidel Castro, who has ruled Cuba since leading a revolution in 1959, announced his retirement in a letter published on the website of the Cuban Communist Party's newspaper Granma last week.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/7261204.stm