Sign in to follow this  
guptveer1469

Sikh Population?

From another site:

The Sikh population of the world, as broken down by Dr. Dalvinder Singh Ji is as follows:

(Dr. Dalvinder Singh Ji has put these figures down in 'crores, 'lacs' etc. I have attempted to standardise them in western terms for ease.)

Mainstream Sikhs in India 20,000,000 (many many youth are monas)

Sikligar 40,000,000

Vanjaras 50,000,000

Satnamias 10,000,000

Johari (Maharashthra) 20,000

Assami (20 villages in Assam) 20,000

Bihari - Kishanganj and Patna in Bihar 20,000

Tharu - Bijnaur, UP 20,000

Lamas - Larmapa and Naingmapa tribes of Tibet origin 100,000

Sindhis 200,000

Canada, America, UK, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Kenya etc. 1,000,000

Other Sikhs * 1,000,000

TOTAL 122,380,000

Other Sikhs * include: Nirankari, Namdhari, Radhaswami, Sehajdhari, Satkartari, Gangushahi. Suthreshahi, Nirmala, Ramdasia, Ramraia, Bandai, Niranjani, Mahima Shahi, Singhji, Nanakshahi, Bihari, Brandavani Hiradasi, Gulabdasi, Gahir Gambiri.

This is the first time I have seen anyone take a serious look at world Sikh population figures and also to break down the figures.

Most of these various 'Sikh' tribes live below the poverty line and are regarded as indigenous tribes, but they are all linked to Sikhi in one way or another and as such should be considered part of the 'Sikh' population. Bachitar Singh who plunged a spear into the forehead of an enraged elephant and turned it back, was a Vanjara. Bhai Mani Singh was a Vanjara Sikh. Makhan Shah was a Lubana Sikh, to name a few prominent ones.

My purpose of writing this is because our (world) population is still being bandied about as being between 20 million to 30 million in different publications of authority. The Sikh Times of UK once put our population down as around 155 million without much substantiation. Dr. Dalvinder Singh has attempted a breakdown and comes up with 122,380,000 (122.3 million).

It is time that our scholars took a serious look at this issue so that our population can be stated more accurately, and with some validation, so that figures of Sikhs in so-called western official publications like Encyclopedias, information on internet like Wikipedia etc. can be standardised.

I also recommend that Dr.Dalvinder Singh's article is read by all. In fact i strongly recommend that as many of us contribute to and read the Sikh Review besides other Sikh publications.

Good read but i highly doubt that sikh population can be 122.3 million. I think its more like 60-70 million. The population in canada, uk, aus...... is way more than just 1 million.

Good read but i highly doubt that sikh population can be 122.3 million. I think its more like 60-70 million. The population in canada, uk, aus...... is way more than just 1 million.

NRIS' (Non-resident Indian Sikhs) are more than one million....

Africa (East African Sikhs) - 100,000

Asia (Outside India) - >180,000

Europe - 850,000

Australia - 55,000

North America - 900,000

South America - ?20,000?

That makes NRIS population at around 2.15 million...

Agree that 122 million is a bit exagerrated... It is obviously not more than 90 million...

naamdhari? radhaswami? ummm.. i dunno bout that one..

Yeh that 1 million are socalled Sikh sects like Nirankari etc

Agree singhballer its done.. Altough there arent many nirankaris anymore like they were once...

naamdhari? radhaswami? ummm.. i dunno bout that one..

sgpc added nihungs to the same list recently

theres only about 3 million sikhs, the rest wouldent be considered sikh right?

Naw...that is too many still. rolleyes.gif

There is prolly only couple thousand real sikhs. rolleyes.gif

i think... there are no real sikhs today... maybe i'm being harsh

but its true... u know, the best sikhs right now, are far worser than the worst real sikhs in 17th century!

this is plain truth!

From another site:

The Sikh population of the world, as broken down by Dr. Dalvinder Singh Ji is as follows:

(Dr. Dalvinder Singh Ji has put these figures down in 'crores, 'lacs' etc. I have attempted to standardise them in western terms for ease.)

Mainstream Sikhs in India 20,000,000 (many many youth are monas)

Sikligar 40,000,000

Vanjaras 50,000,000

Satnamias 10,000,000

Johari (Maharashthra) 20,000

Assami (20 villages in Assam) 20,000

Bihari - Kishanganj and Patna in Bihar 20,000

Tharu - Bijnaur, UP 20,000

Lamas - Larmapa and Naingmapa tribes of Tibet origin 100,000

Sindhis 200,000

Canada, America, UK, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Kenya etc. 1,000,000

Other Sikhs * 1,000,000

TOTAL 122,380,000

Other Sikhs * include: Nirankari, Namdhari, Radhaswami, Sehajdhari, Satkartari, Gangushahi. Suthreshahi, Nirmala, Ramdasia, Ramraia, Bandai, Niranjani, Mahima Shahi, Singhji, Nanakshahi, Bihari, Brandavani Hiradasi, Gulabdasi, Gahir Gambiri.

This is the first time I have seen anyone take a serious look at world Sikh population figures and also to break down the figures.

Most of these various 'Sikh' tribes live below the poverty line and are regarded as indigenous tribes, but they are all linked to Sikhi in one way or another and as such should be considered part of the 'Sikh' population. Bachitar Singh who plunged a spear into the forehead of an enraged elephant and turned it back, was a Vanjara. Bhai Mani Singh was a Vanjara Sikh. Makhan Shah was a Lubana Sikh, to name a few prominent ones.

My purpose of writing this is because our (world) population is still being bandied about as being between 20 million to 30 million in different publications of authority. The Sikh Times of UK once put our population down as around 155 million without much substantiation. Dr. Dalvinder Singh has attempted a breakdown and comes up with 122,380,000 (122.3 million).

It is time that our scholars took a serious look at this issue so that our population can be stated more accurately, and with some validation, so that figures of Sikhs in so-called western official publications like Encyclopedias, information on internet like Wikipedia etc. can be standardised.

I also recommend that Dr.Dalvinder Singh's article is read by all. In fact i strongly recommend that as many of us contribute to and read the Sikh Review besides other Sikh publications.

I LIVE IN UK SO I CAN TELL ONLY SIKH PAPULATION IN UK

UK SIKH--800,000

i think... there are no real sikhs today... maybe i'm being harsh

but its true... u know, the best sikhs right now, are far worser than the worst real sikhs in 17th century!

this is plain truth!

VEER UR THINK IS WRONG .. IN UK THERE IS SO MANY REAL SIKH ,,,,

The govt. figures are never right. When i was in school, we often were given the task of visiting houses and filled forms for population calculation. I will give you an example; this is how we carried out our work. I studied in mohali (near Chandigarh) so will give example of that city. We first formed a group of about two hundered students, chosen by way of voluntary service by school management.

Mohali is divided into sectors and we divided sectors among ourselves and further divided them into lanes for carrying out the survey. Then we would visit a few houses and go straight to some restaurant. There we would sit under A.C sipping colas and filled the rest of forms by way of calculating average of the houses vivted by us.

You can well understand the correctness of these figures, which were used by govt. LOL

By the way, it is well known that the population of Sikhs is never given out as to right figures by Govt. The surveyers are told that they must follow their own judgement while noting down sikhs. Any house where there is majority of 'monas' is taken as Hindu. According to me, if we take the figure by calculating those people who follow guru granth sahib or ten gurus, without looking into amritdhari thing, then the figures would be somewhere between 200 - 250 million.

The govt. figures are never right. When i was in school, we often were given the task of visiting houses and filled forms for population calculation. I will give you an example; this is how we carried out our work. I studied in mohali (near Chandigarh) so will give example of that city. We first formed a group of about two hundered students, chosen by way of voluntary service by school management.

Mohali is divided into sectors and we divided sectors among ourselves and further divided them into lanes for carrying out the survey. Then we would visit a few houses and go straight to some restaurant. There we would sit under A.C sipping colas and filled the rest of forms by way of calculating average of the houses vivted by us.

You can well understand the correctness of these figures, which were used by govt. LOL

By the way, it is well known that the population of Sikhs is never given out as to right figures by Govt. The surveyers are told that they must follow their own judgement while noting down sikhs. Any house where there is majority of 'monas' is taken as Hindu. According to me, if we take the figure by calculating those people who follow guru granth sahib or ten gurus, without looking into amritdhari thing, then the figures would be somewhere between 200 - 250 million.

If the sikhs are grossly undercounted then what about muslims and christians and dalits,whats their population.

the 2001 census put the number of sikhs in the uk as 330,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1530681/Diversity-index-reveals-Britains-ethnic-mix.html

today the figure is probably around 350,000, the 2011 census will confirm exact numbers.

the '750,000-800,000 sikhs in uk' or '1 million sikhs in europe' as claimed by some :) is seriously exaggerated!

Singh Comradz, thats not true. The 2001 cencus included only the legal people if I'm not mistaken. The real figure is anything between 500,000 and 750,000. I prefer 650,000. But even some BBC reports confirm that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/318934.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/318934.stm

WJKK WJKF Ji

Guest shastr

sikh population is 1000.

heard in katha that a few chardikala abhiyaasi singhs asked maharaj guru gobind singh ji how many sikhs he had in the world, and maharaj said on vaisakhi there were only 5 that gave their head, today there are only 1000 willing to give their heads.