Whats A Kirpan

what exactly is a Kirpan. how can one tell what is and what is not a kirpan. does it have to be a certan length and style. would a kartar be considered a kirpan is any shastar a kirpan. are kirpans meant just for show or should they be usefull too, can someone have one on there kanga. would really like to know. thanks

Not sure about the actual definition of a kirpan, but u can't have one on ur kanga, coz then it's not a shastar and therefore not a kirpan. It's definately not for show - what would be the point of carrying one? U gotta be able to access it.

Two??? When I wear one under my clothes I wear two 3 inch ones, and when I wear one outside I just wear a medium sized one.(And sometimes I don't take off my small ones so I end up wearing 3)My medium sized one is 9 inches with the handle. By 9 inches do u mean with the whole kirpan or just the blade?

The requirements for a kakaari kirpaan is stipulated in most amrit sanchaars, if not ask the panj when you take amrit who will clarify this for you.

To what I know your kakaari kirpaan (that you wear as your kakaar to do bhog/rakhya etc with) should be made of one piece of sarbloh (the blade and handle should not be 2 peices joined together) and practical in use e.g. the handle should be big/thick enough for a good grip.

As aforementioned, in most amrit sanchaaars the above requirements along with a minimum size e.g. 9inches (3inch handle, 6inch blade) to wear always is usually given as rehat.

Please add to this if need be Saadh Sangat Jee.

(added after) I also have heard (not sure) that your kirpaan shouldn't be sharp on both sides which makes it a khandaa type shaster, so a kataar would be invalid, thats why a kataar is called a kataar...because its not a kirpan.