Aikido Martial Art

Mahakaal

Does anybody know much about aikdio and whether its a good martial art to take up ? or maybe suggest some?

Akidio is a very good martial art; it teaches the opponent how to use the attackers body weight against them. It teaches how to use your body weight to cripple an attacker to submission. It is not like karate or kung fu where you can attack first. There are arm locks and wrist locks that will shatter bone and break legs that are truly awesome.

But with Gatka, you learn how to use left and right side of your body in unison, and this is attribute that I have only found in gatka.

The British Aikido Board

aikido4beginners

British Aikido Association

It depends what you want from the art. Morehei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido, had some amazing philosphical teachings on what he called 'The Art of Peace'.

If you're looking for something more practical and street-wise, then if you're in the UK (this is going to upset some people, lol) learn Shastervidiya.

If you don't want to go there learn Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Krav Maga is another brutal system but genuine teachers are rare.

Hey just thought I would add my two cents. Having done research via forums other martial artists and personal experience. I would have to say ninety percent of the martial arts places u will find are what ppl refer to as mcdojos. This means a dojo for the sole purpose of making money. They teach u b.s techniques that look and feel good in a dojo atmosphere but won't do anything in a real life situation and it takes years for u to advance. Why? because the longer u are there teh more money they make. These so called masters make maad money. So be careful. Wrist locks and all that, they may be effective however i don't see how if the guy has a crazy fast jab cross you gonna grab his wrist. And if he has a knife give me a break u know how hard it is to try to do those fruity moves when a guy is stabbing u super fast. Just look at some videos where ppl have been stabbed. No chance.

Its all in what u are looking for. If you wanna street combat effective martial art then krav maga BUT beware most these trainers are just in it for the money now as well. But if u could find someoen to teach u the proper israeli fighting system u would be set. Muy thai is awesome for speed and conditioning also teaching u how to punch kick and take punches kicks mixed in with some judo wrestling jujitsu and proper krav maga u would be set. However like i said before hard to find.

Don't get me started on the ineffectiveness of gatka. (no real penthra except mool penthra but its not stressed, no throws locks wrestling techniques, shastar techiques of how to actually use ur shastars to most optimum use) Shastar vidiya seems like a really good art. I may even come to u.k to learn it myself. Just my thoughts.

Ive been learning martial arts for five years,

im quite disapointed at what i hear. martial arts no matter what kind arnt meant to be mastered in a short period.

if you want to defend your self then there are many courses or clubs which teach you things in a short period. punches , grappling, or basic kicks, they also charge more and will teach you so fast, you will probs only walk away with limited knowledge and no practice..

but learning a martial art is a different game, you are learning an art. Its not about money, but if its gona take 5 years to get to black belt obviously you gona have to pay for the lessons. some clubs can make u a black belt in 6months or even sooner.

but without practice and training for many years you cant learn the art or pass it on effectivley. I know from experience, i used to get sick of doing the same kicks and moves ,thousands of times and thinking whats the point. but now its become part of my natural reaction.............

the misunderstanding which alot of ppl use to undermine martlail arts is things like the wrist lock.

typical statements like how can u use a wrist lock against a punch or jab' are silly and ignorant comments.

when you are taught a wrist lock, they show you how to do it, probably in a basic scenario,

but in a real life situation u only use it if you see the opportunity, so if you see their wrist exposed supose if they grab hold of you, or a situation where you think it will work then you use it, otherwise you use a alternative move. do these ppl think wrist lock is the only defence against a punch?

each move is efective, but you must b able to decide and have the sense to choose which defence or attack to apply, this is why you need to have them trained into your subconsious ...................

Hey parwinder singh i didn't mean to disrespect you or you martial art bro. I mean five years is great dedication and i'm sure you are really good at it now. Respect to you that you as a singh are actually learning a martial art. You may have an instructer who actually wants the betterment of his students. All I'm saying is a lot of people are out there for your money so be careful. Yeah the wrist lock thing maybe true but i've just seen personally a second degree black belt who was the best student at a hapkido place which is known for its forty year experienced master get knocked out in a street fight by a street fighter. Who had no martial arts experience just a natural fighter. I still stand by krav maga and shastar vidiya as the martial arts to learn. Again muy thai, wrestling, jujitso and judo mixed in and you will be a killer. But again u have to find the right instructer. I mean having flashy kicks is not gonna help u if he goes for a siingle leg take down and u have no ground game. The mma dude is gonna end up in your mount punching your face in or having ur back choking u out. Trust me its the worst feeling in the world being chocked out knowing the guys not gonna stop even if u do tap.

Actually perfect student MMA is mostly a mixture of boxing, muay tai kick boxing, brazillion jujitsu judo and wreslting. also gatka is only as effective as ur ustaad. If he knows proper shastar attacks and street effective combat techniques that awesome sign me up. If its what i learned don't bother doing it for effectiveness just do it for the big shows at nagar kirtans.

Hey parwinder singh i didn't mean to disrespect you or you martial art bro. I mean five years is great dedication and i'm sure you are really good at it now. Respect to you that you as a singh are actually learning a martial art. You may have an instructer who actually wants the betterment of his students. All I'm saying is a lot of people are out there for your money so be careful. Yeah the wrist lock thing maybe true but i've just seen personally a second degree black belt who was the best student at a hapkido place which is known for its forty year experienced master get knocked out in a street fight by a street fighter. Who had no martial arts experience just a natural fighter. I still stand by krav maga and shastar vidiya as the martial arts to learn. Again muy thai, wrestling, jujitso and judo mixed in and you will be a killer. But again u have to find the right instructer. I mean having flashy kicks is not gonna help u if he goes for a siingle leg take down and u have no ground game. The mma dude is gonna end up in your mount punching your face in or having ur back choking u out. Trust me its the worst feeling in the world being chocked out knowing the guys not gonna stop even if u do tap.

Actually perfect student MMA is mostly a mixture of boxing, muay tai kick boxing, brazillion jujitsu judo and wreslting. also gatka is only as effective as ur ustaad. If he knows proper shastar attacks and street effective combat techniques that awesome sign me up. If its what i learned don't bother doing it for effectiveness just do it for the big shows at nagar kirtans.

agreet with you, boxing is insane to learn for defending yourself in a street fight cause most fights ive seen involve just punching the daylights out of eachother so boxing is essential to learn to learn to fight same goes for kickboxing.

Straight out aikido is a waste of time true waste of time

paji you put it best

boxing muay tai kick boxing brazillion ji jitsu judo and wrestling are the best fighting styles to learn, the mma world has shown that these are the best fighting styles and that kung fu and stuff is a waste of time compared to things like ji jitsu.

and krave mega in insane to learn how to street fight with weapions its made for it, its the best weapions/streetfighting martial art out their trained in the isreali army and american army, i also know a sikh from california whose in the united states marines who has and is training in krav mega, traines fellow american soilders and has gone down to isreal to train and has competed in world tournments, he was tellign me you learn guns knives kicks punches everything. He wants to take that stuff and open up his own school in punjab which would be insane.

Plus its essential every sikh is trained in self defence and physically conditioned this is what are gurus asked of us.

PLUS DON'T FORGET SO MANY SIKHS ARE STEPPING INTO MMA WORLD

KASH GILL RETIRED BUT THREE TIME WORLD KICK BOXING CHAMPION

KULTAR GILL NUMBER 1 RANKED LIGHTWEIGHT MMA FIGHTER OUT OF CANADA AT ONE POINT

PLUS ALL THE SIKHS IN CANADA WINNING NATIONAL WRESTLING GOLD MEDALS PLUS ARJUN BHULLAR GOING IN FOR CANADA THIS YEAR TO REPRESENT IN OLYMPICS HOPE HE GETS THE GOLD

MANJOT SANDHU TO YOUNG FOR OLYMPICS BUT ALREADY BEING FAVOURED TO WIN A GOLD MEDAL IN 2012 OLYMPICS AFTER WINNING TWO CANADIAN WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP GOLD MEDALS PLUS BC WRESTLING GOLD MEDAL PLUS PAN AM GAMES GOLD MEDAL IN WRESTLING JUST AT THE AGE OF 17.