Braiding Hair Is Anti-gurmat?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

apologize for my sarcastic humor ahead of time:D

hahah i dont mind i have no problems with taksalis, i just got the idea from the shabad to braid my hair one day i wasnt thinking in my head that i took it literally but i guess my actions showed i did lol

anyways i do random things becuz thats what random singhnia okay?? lol i sound like i have so much atitude which i secretly do lol

But I remeber Bhai Sahib mentioning that plaiting causes unnatural extra growth

That's very interesting : ) or maybe it was just your word choice.

My mum used to plait my hair when I was little.

lol well its the way ya tell 'em! tongue.gif

anyway these are bhai randhir singh ji's comments on plaiting, its from a fictional conversation between to sikh bibis that bhai sahib wrote:

S.K.: What is good about tying up the hair in pleats and braids?

C.K.: The hair is nicely kept and grows faster.

S.K.: What is the urgency for fast growth of hair? Gurmat sanctions normal natural growth. The artificial growing or shortening is self-orientation instead of ordained Gurmat. There cannot be a better care for hair than combing, tying their knot at the top of head and covering the head with a turban. The mind-oriented ladies part the shortened hair of their children or make long braids at the back. This is ill-advised copying of others, non-sikhs. The lazy mothers are thus negligent of their duty to comply with Gurmat Rehat (code of living) and get the heads of their children infested with lice. The caring mothers comply with Gurmat practice of combing, making a knot at the top of head and tying a turban. Not only the hair is cared for and kept clean there is no scope for infestation with lice. The Gurmat ordained discipline ‘Combing twice and tying the turban layer by layer’ is maintained.

C.K.: Of course the change is mere copying others.

S.K.: The Gurmat Code is not following any custom, but a well thought of principle.

C.K.: However it is difficult to comply with.

S.K.: What is difficult about it? On the other hand making pleats and then picking up lice is cumbersome. The Gurmat style is unique and different from other customs. The difficulty is in parting from the old wrong practices. Tell me, is it better to part with wrong practices or sticking to them in fool hardiness?

C.K.: No doubt Gurmat way is good and easy, yet the common people are prone to regard this as inferior and difficult.

S.K: Leave aside what common people believe, let us talk about the discipline of Guru’s House. The abiding Sikhs are forbidden to follow fashion of parting hair and having long braids at the back.

Non-compliance of Gurmat is rebellion against Guru.

Although I think this is more about women who choose not to wear dastaar, bunga is the best way to go!! Its a tradition from the time of Maharaj!

It doesnt hurt at all, use the thinnest, finest mal mal, and infact its quite comforting and feels firm, rather than a joora which moves about of its own accord tongue.gif I cant stand not doing a boonga.