Classes For Learning The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

jii

I have become very fund of learning katha which most often taken from references of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji; however it is often difficult to understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji without having someone explain both the meaning in Punjabi and English and explain what is written and the emphasis behind them.

I was therefore wondering if there were any classes one could attend to learn Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Also not be able to speak too well in Punjabi or read gurmakhi, ideally I am looking for someone how could also explain the meanings in English as well.

I think this is a good way to learn about sikhi first hand, as I now wonder how non-indians have learnt about sikhi and about utterances in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I have become very fund of learning katha which most often taken from references of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji; however it is often difficult to understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji without having someone explain both the meaning in Punjabi and English and explain what is written and the emphasis behind them.

I was therefore wondering if there were any classes one could attend to learn Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Also not be able to speak too well in Punjabi or read gurmakhi, ideally I am looking for someone how could also explain the meanings in English as well.

I think this is a good way to learn about sikhi first hand, as I now wonder how non-indians have learnt about sikhi and about utterances in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

sounds like a great idea and stuff like this should be set up is there anywhere?

im from london, and i guess i would be able to travel some distance though i would make things a little inconvenient, as i would then need to devote more time for travelling-time. however one thing i would need is someone who can explain the things to me in english first and then explain in punjabi because the punjabi i use at home is only limited to words i would use in a conversation with my family as that is the often the only time i speak in english.

Penji/Paaji it’s important to have santhiyaa - learn the correct uchaaran (pronunciation) before you learn the arth (meanings) and kathaa of Gurbaani. As khalistan_zindabaad suggested one should learn this from an ustaad who has been taught the correct uchaaran and arth himself.

Once you have had santhiyaa you can then go on to learn the arth in more detail which Maharaaj will bless you with if it’s His will.

There are some Singhs in London who currently do the seva of teaching Gurbaani santhiyaa, PM khalistan_zindabaad for more details.

Also a humble benti, please refrain from using ‘the’ when referring to Dhan Dhan Satguroo Guroo Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj.

Veer jii I would differ from some of the opinons given by my other veers.

It does not matter what group you learn from, what matters is what the teacher is teaching. I would suggest you learn gurbani viakaran (grammar). Until you learn grammar you will not understand why bindia should be pronounced, or why unkars exist, how it changes the meaning etc. A good example of this would be the different spelling of 'Nanak' in the guru granth sahib. So far ive not found a taksali who accepts these concepts, but not only do they fail the accept these concepts but they do not give an alternative answer. This is only based on my experience. Sant baba Gurbachan Singh jees book is excellent and can give you a good guide on the kinds of words which can have bindia, phairs haaha etc. its good for its time because before sant Gurbachan Singh jee there was hardely any book the topic, the problem with relying on this approach is that it does not understand grammar so you will never progress if you stick to this ideology.

I suggest you learn from a person who knows gurbani viakaran, whether it be a missionary or any other person. I think AKJ have good knowledge on this topic so maybe you could find a person from their organisation. Bhai Joginder Singh Talwara has written a book on Gurbani viakaran and out of all the books i have on topic its probably the best guide for beginners, he did good work for the panth. The other option in Prof Sahib Singh jees book gurbani viakaran which is a difficult book but the best one written so far. His translation which is on the net is also a good guide. These books are good for learning, but you need someone to teach you because at first none of the concepts will be hard to grasp.

Finally, dont limit your attempt to learn gurbani to what flanna flanna says, your research and hard work is what will make you progress.

Hope all goes well veer jee.

im from london, and i guess i would be able to travel some distance though i would make things a little inconvenient, as i would then need to devote more time for travelling-time. however one thing i would need is someone who can explain the things to me in english first and then explain in punjabi because the punjabi i use at home is only limited to words i would use in a conversation with my family as that is the often the only time i speak in english.

bhai charanjeet singh.. taksal.. does it in english.. BUT u got alot to do before u go on banee.. so commitment is a MUST

So far ive not found a taksali who accepts these concepts, but not only do they fail the accept these concepts but they do not give an alternative answer. This is only based on my experience. Sant baba Gurbachan Singh jees book is excellent and can give you a good guide on the kinds of words which can have bindia, phairs haaha etc. its good for its time because before sant Gurbachan Singh jee there was hardely any book the topic, the problem with relying on this approach is that it does not understand grammar so you will never progress if you stick to this ideology.

I suggest you learn from a person who knows gurbani viakaran, whether it be a missionary or any other person. I think AKJ have good knowledge on this topic so maybe you could find a person from their organisation.

Hope all goes well veer jee.

So, before then nobody understood Gurbani rolleyes.gif

If I'm not mistaken, Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji was Mukhi of the Taksal, so how can you say Taksalis don't accept these concepts?

Viakaaran on it's own doesn't uncover the deeper meanings of Gurbani, much of which is poetry and is not to be taken literally. To start with, Jii, it is important to learn correct pronounciation, where to pause etc. For this, Taksali teachers are really good - it's their job.

When it comes to understanding Gurbani, do not limit yourself to one approach - as your avastha grows, each word will take on a different meaning.

Always think of Guru Sahib as your Guru, never just a book.

Classes take place at Khalsa Primary School Slough Every Sunday from 2-3ish. Due to Vaisakhi Bhai sahib has gone india. PM me and I will send you details. On Sunday the school also has keertan classes as well as Gatka. :)