Sarbloh

LOL. OK, so how much carbon is acceptable in a kakkari Kirpaan? Bearing in mind a kakkari Kirpaan should be made of Sarbloh (whatever that means in metal terms).

If Taksali Kirpanaa(n) are made from Kamani Loha, then what is Kamani Loha in English? Sorry if what I'm asking seems repetitive.

hahha pata nahi detail, I think maybe 80-90%, but pleassee dont quote me on this hehe. Just go to a good well known sarbloh kirpan maker, you will be fine if you stick to Ratovaal and taksali ones. If you see other ones you like just compare the metal to one that you know is sarbloh.

Ratoval for life!!!

if sarbloh is a metiphore for the strength of god i think you would want a kirpan made out of the best material available to you, so that it would better represent and remind you of god, pure iron is not the best material for making weapons. even if you use so called pure iron it would become "contaminated" with carbon if you used fire to forge your weapon. carbon is essiential if you want a kirpan that is of any use. if you look at guru gobind singhs weapons they are made out of many different materials and definatly have carbon in them, if he were around to day i am sure he would aquiree the latesst weapons. this is not to say they iron( Fe) is not important but i dont think people should absess over the purity of there sarbloh kirpan but instead worry about form and function and get a kirpan that can best serve the purpose it is meant for which is a weapon to diffend those who can't defend them selves.

does any body know if back in the day the word for iron(Fe) actually refered to iron or just metal in general. was the a seperate word for aluminiam, chromiam, sodium etc

fauji07, your right in what you say, I just wanted to know what is an acceptable metal for a Kakkari Kirpaan which should be Sarbloh, for the use of gau-greeb di rakhiya (defence of the weak and oppressed) and more commonly to do bhog to degh.

Surely your 'kakaari' Kirpan should be usable as a weapon if need be? Modern 'sarbloh' is relatively soft and doesn't hold a sharp edge.

Most of Guru Ji's Shastaar were made from Damascus Steel, which is virtually impossible to obtain today. (There is a decent article on wikipedia, if you want to learn more about Damascus steel, also note that many people sell 'pattern welded steel' or 'watered steel' items and incorrectly call them Damascus steel just because of the similar looks.)

Wrought iron and mild steel both look similar to modern sarbloh - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if most sarbloh products were infact mild steel. Of the two, mild steel is much easier to obtain since there's not much production of wrought iron these days.

• 4 years later...