Two Sikhs Freed, Kidnappers To Be Hanged Tomorrow

2desi

For Gods sake try to think beyond your narrow tribalistic feelings.

Just because the Taliban showed respect for Sikhs it does not mean that we should start praising them. Fact is that they supresed women and most other religious minorities and for that alone we should consider these to be enemies of Humanity.

I dont care if they even build Gurdwaras in Afghanistan, they are still villains and barbarians

Guest peacemaker
ok the taliban can be bad but they can also sometimes be good people

:)

If someone is both bad and good, don't we normally just say they are bad since bad outweighes the good 9 times out of 10? :gg:

And for gods sake when did I say that SPECIFICALLY THOSE 2 SIKHS WERE DEVOUT???

I said 'in general'...

oh vaow

inna gussa?

was just asking, my dear, considering that's where the conversation went! Sorry if I offended you so deeply that it caused you to bring God into it and type in Caps. I didn't realize my words were that explosive and hurtful!

I had a friend (a Sikh lad) who served in the armed forces and was stationed over in Afghanistan. From what he told me the Sikhs were allowed to exist openly but had to wear a yellow star – like the Nazis made Jews wear in Germany- I think this was so people could tell the difference between a Sikh and the Taliban as they do have some physical similarities. They never harmed any Sikhs or destroyed any places of worship. If you recall they blew up all places of worship that were non Muslim.

I don’t know why they showed the Sikhs a bit more curtsy than everyone else maybe the history that we are the only people who defeated Afghanistan. You have to remember in Iraq there was a gurdwara that was destroyed by the extremists as soon as sadam hussian fell.

Another thing I was told was that when my mate passed a gurdwara he stopped off with unit to check as there was an elderly Sikh man stationed outside armed with AK47 when my mate approached the guard erupted from his sleep and even though he spoke with my mate and explained he was stationed to guard the gurdwara and could not let not let them in and they had to leave. Even to this day there are lot of Sikhs in Afghanistan and the dedication they show sikhi is something to be admired.

:gatka-singhni:

I had a friend (a Sikh lad) who served in the armed forces and was stationed over in Afghanistan. From what he told me the Sikhs were allowed to exist openly but had to wear a yellow star – like the Nazis made Jews wear in Germany- I think this was so people could tell the difference between a Sikh and the Taliban as they do have some physical similarities. They never harmed any Sikhs or destroyed any places of worship. If you recall they blew up all places of worship that were non Muslim.

I don’t know why they showed the Sikhs a bit more curtsy than everyone else maybe the history that we are the only people who defeated Afghanistan. You have to remember in Iraq there was a gurdwara that was destroyed by the extremists as soon as sadam hussian fell.

Another thing I was told was that when my mate passed a gurdwara he stopped off with unit to check as there was an elderly Sikh man stationed outside armed with AK47 when my mate approached the guard erupted from his sleep and even though he spoke with my mate and explained he was stationed to guard the gurdwara and could not let not let them in and they had to leave. Even to this day there are lot of Sikhs in Afghanistan and the dedication they show sikhi is something to be admired.

:gatka-singhni:

In high school I had a Afghani guy who was in one class lower than me but we had some trades classes together and he told me about the yellow badge but he said that it didn't apply to Sikhs because Sikhs turbans are different from the Taliban style. Also saw this a news report on CNN after the Taliban Government blew up those Buddhist statues. Here is an article about this before 9/11.

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Afghanistan's ruling Taliban Friday defended its plans to force Hindus to wear identifying yellow badges as a Muslim tradition dating from the era of the prophet Mohammad.

However, the Taliban ambassador to Pakistan, Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef, said the decree prepared by the Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice was awaiting the signature of the movement's supreme leader Mullah Mohammad Omar.

"The fact that Hindus are asked to have a symbol is not something new," Zaeef told a news conference. "In fact this is a tradition since the time of the holy prophet Mohammad for non-Muslims for their safety and immunity."

The plan, which would force Hindus to wear yellow badges on their chests for easy identification, has drawn condemnation from foreign governments that see it as a threat to the minority religion. Western governments have drawn parallels with the Nazi laws forcing Jews to wear yellow Stars of David.

The Afghan opposition alliance fighting the Taliban joined in the condemnation Friday. But Pakistan, the Taliban's closest ally, also issued a statement Friday saying it was checking reports about the edict but considered any discriminatory measures to be against Islam.

"We observe adverse reactions by some people, some nations -- some react out of ignorance and some for political reasons. Some...are making a comparison with the Star of David or with the emblems of the Nazis. But this is wrong," Zaeef said.

"Their objections are not correct," he said at the Taliban embassy. "The rights of non-Muslims are persevered in Afghan society."

SIKHS ALREADY IDENTIFIED

The Sikh and Hindu population has shrunk from as many as 50,000 before Afghanistan slipped into two decades of war to about 1,700 today. The order will apply only to Hindus because distinctive Sikh turbans already identify that religion, Zaeef said.

The plan to mark Hindus has fuelled fresh foreign criticism of the movement that had sparked international outrage by its treatment of women and a campaign earlier this year to destroy all statues, including the 1,500-year-old colossal Buddhas of Bamiyan.

Zaeef repeated the Taliban explanation that badges are to protect Hindus from religious police enforcing the Taliban's hardline interpretation of Islam. He said Hindus had sought the measure -- although many Hindus in Kabul told Reuters they were incensed by the plan.

Zaeef said Afghan Muslims had to follow all Islamic practices, such as observance of the five-time daily prayers, imposed in the 90 percent of the country under Taliban rule -- officially called an emirate.

"For this reason the Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice patrols all the area to make sure that people observe this rule. Sometimes the Hindu citizens of Afghanistan, who in most cases resemble Muslim Afghans, were also stopped for questioning," he said.

The ambassador said the ministry had proposed the new law so police could easily recognize Hindus and stop forcing them to observe Islamic rules. He said the decree was awaiting approval by the Taliban's leader Omar.

"It will be presented to him for his signature," Zaeef said. "As soon as it is signed it will be published in the official gazette."