Unis With Lots Of Sangat....

Singhstah

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh!!

can we have discussion on what unis are best for sangat please? I'm not just talking numbers but also like regular events and societies etc.

More specifically hopefully guroo kirpa naal looking at unis for law/politics/social sciences, what good unis for this have sangat as well? But that doesnt matter too much, just interested in general.

London and outside, eg. midlands. How much sangat at City Uni? QMUL? Westminster?Also I hear de montfort is good?

Thank you!

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh!!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually thinking about this aswell recently..want to go to a uni in Septemner where there is Sangat...I would say Wolverhampton has some Chardi kala sangat and youth programmes (sedgley st etc) but the Uni hasnt really got the rep of a decent uni...

Imperial College London is so chardi kala. Simran every week with translations and vichaar. Martial arts and homeless food runs, gurdwara visits. Also they had a really nice sikhi week and hosted collaborations - a dinner for all the london sikh socs.

Add Imperial Sikh Soc on facebook for more info:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2484701629

Some past events:

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry159749

I think the nicest thing about London is that all the London Universities have a strong sikh soc run by amazing people.

So basically if your coming London ure going to have a fab time. Also it doesn't matter which London uni you go to since you will get to know sangat from all the London Sikh socs. Basically all London Sikh socs are friends and its all one big family where we all go to each others events!!

Big events we do together is London Sikhi Month and the not to be missed Student Akand Paath!! Seriously everyone should come London. :D

PS - If anyone is applying Imperial - I am more than happy to help you out by checking ure personal statement etc

Southampton Uni!!

Just had Sikh week, regular Amritvela Paath sessions, simran sessions, socials but also have speakers coming down to discuss issues that affect Sikh youth. We work together with Portsmouth Uni sikh soc for some events too..

In Southampton: Gatka lessons, tabla/vaja lessons, youth Asa Di // every sunday, Gurbani class, Punjabi class, Start of month youth keertan darbars

it's kicked off :)

maharaaj dee kirpa naal, many unis in the uk now have very strong sikh societies,

so its tough trying to narrow down which have the most sangat and events etc

what i did was decide on my course first, then look at which universities were best for my course

i then chose a few which id thought id like and could get into, n ranked them according to which had the most sangat in tht general area. so ultimately my first choice and insurance were based on the amount of sangat/programs at the uni.

that might be easier than deciding on an area, then trying to find a decent uni there, and then seeing if it does your course.

keep us posted!

edit- if you havent heard of it already, the times good university guide is really useful as a rough guideline.

thanks for the replies everyone :D All information is VERY valuable

yeah it is true that there seem to be a lot of sangat at unis with not a great rep :S

At this moment in time I'm not really looking at the really highest unis but average ones like i mentioned in my above post.

Well it is good to know that the london unis are so interlinked, it helps in that way that hopefully I dont have to worry about not having any sangat if i went in london.

hmm yeah anon I tried doing something similar, thing is im not averse to going outside of london, infact i think it would be great if it was a uni with lots of sangat, but then I do have to think about being in debt as soon as I leave and also living out in general makes life quite difficult, having a good easy time right now with mum's rotis! Though off course I will probably put down a couple of london and a couple of non-london unis when applying next year.

Anyone go to or know anything about the specific unis i mentioned earlier? Or just which average unis have best sangat.

having a good easy time right now with mum's rotis!

haha typical, mummys boy! :p

How much sangat at City Uni? QMUL? Westminster?Also I hear de montfort is good?

city- found it quite depressing to be honest. but the sikh society is ok, know a couple of people that go there and ive bin told they do have regular events etc

QMUL- same as above really. its east london, so it was a complete toilet once u stepped outside the uni (meant in the nicest way possible). but if ur gonna live at home then that doesnt really matter. if the sikh society isnt brilliant then it wouldnt really matter seeing as ur in london, and ull prob have ur own car by then.

de montfort- bound to have a lot of sangat, its in leicester. so im guessing its got a good sikh soc

havent gt a clue about westminster

stick to london and birmingham n ur almost guaranteed to be in the middle of tons of sangat.