Bhangra And Sikhism

njjassa

Bhangra vs Sikhism  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Would you justify bhangra being a part of sikhism?

• I do
    • I totally disagree
    • No comments

Guest peacemaker

What is this degenerating into, people? Jangal Da, you know what, just don't tell Sikhs you drink in the future. That's the best advice I can give you!

Considering his father-in-law sits on a gurdwara commitee I am pretty sure he already knows what information should and should not be shared.... Anyways what kind of pathetic Bruah's do u ppl have! seriously wat is bruahhaaaaaaaa - it sounds like someone laughing and brbrbrbrahhhhh sounds like an engine stalling!

Its supposed to be like dis

BRUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH..... chak that!

Guest peacemaker
Its supposed to be like dis

BRUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH..... chak that!

I say we all record ourselves doing that and see who has the best BRUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! :p

Ok since u suggested it I think u shud put up ure recording up first!! Then we can a public sikhsangat voting system....

PS - I bet Jangal Da, Peacemaker and Sher-e-moreau are gonna not post a recording. I already knew you were 'All talk, no action' people. So I win!

Can we please get back to bhangra???

Just to reassure all:

1. I never drink and drive.

2. My drinking has been cut down since I started reading more gurbani and trying to do regular patths.

3. My ultimate aim is to one day turn Gursikh - not ready for this yet.

Now lets get back to bhangra and Sikhi or has the topic become stale?

No one (I think) has commented on an issue that we had about 10y ago in the UK when various bhangra artists (Malkit Singh, Sardara S Gill...) petitioned Soho Rd Gurudwara to allow them to perform Kirtan. They were previously denied this on the basis that they were bhangra artists. Then a representative (?secretary) of the gurudwara came on BBC Asian network on Vaisakhi and promised to consider their request. I believe that they were turned down. What upsets these guys is that back in the dark ages (1970s) many started of as doing Ragi sessions at their local gurudwaras and some of you I am sure, have records or your parents may have records which features people like Sardara, Kulwant and Tarlochan doing kirtan. By the early 80s the gurudwaras got regular ragi supplies from Punjab and their services were no longer required.

So do you need to be Gursikh to take part in delivering kirtan (singing or instrumental) in a gurudwara?

Guest peacemaker
Now lets get back to bhangra and Sikhi or has the topic become stale?

Just a heads up, when topics become stale on this site, members start to talk about other things in it or just let it fall off of the first page into the endless abyss of topics, which hardly anyone will ever check again.

So do you need to be Gursikh to take part in delivering kirtan (singing or instrumental) in a gurudwara?

IMHO, anyone should be allowed to do kirtan, so long as they have the utmost respect for Gurbani.